Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 10:24 PM

1,817 posts, read 6,859,261 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for some new ways to prepare veggies so my hubby might like a few more. He's mostly a corn, carrot, green bean kind of guy and I'd like to be able to make some of the ones he doesn't like in new ways so he might try them again. I did attempt to roast a veggie ages ago but it didn't go all that well but I'd like to give it another shot with a verified good recipe. Anyone have any favorites? I love almost all veggies so I'm open to try most of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2011, 07:34 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,472,832 times
Sweet red pepper, remove seeds, vidalia onions in rings and garlic. Drizzle white wine, sea salt and olive oil, wrap in foil and cook for an hour at 325. Toss the garlic, dump the onion and pepper on his plate next to his steak and see if he tries them.

Old 06-08-2011, 07:43 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misplaced1 View Post
I'm looking for some new ways to prepare veggies so my hubby might like a few more. He's mostly a corn, carrot, green bean kind of guy and I'd like to be able to make some of the ones he doesn't like in new ways so he might try them again. I did attempt to roast a veggie ages ago but it didn't go all that well but I'd like to give it another shot with a verified good recipe. Anyone have any favorites? I love almost all veggies so I'm open to try most of them.
We have recently found the best roasted veggies are 1-onions and they are easy, just cut in 1/2 leaving the bottom in tack so they don't fall apart, brush with a little oil and garlic and stick on the grill or in the oven at 425 degrees. The other favorite is: asparagus or green bean bunches wrapped in proscuitto ham.

Nita

Old 06-08-2011, 10:56 AM

Oh yum, both sounds good!

Old 06-08-2011, 10:57 AM

682 posts, read 2,423,199 times
This is a new favorite. It works well grilled or baked/broiled.

Grilled Zucchini Spears with Lemon Vinaigrette

Dressing
1 tablespoon olive oil
½ tablespoon Dijon mustard
½ lemon, juice and zest
sea salt
black pepper, cracked

Spears
2 zucchini, quartered lengthwise
1 teaspoon olive oil
sea salt
black pepper, cracked
1 tablespoon pine nuts, toasted
1 tablespoon feta cheese
1 tablespoon basil, chopped

1. Vinaigrette: Whisk together all of the ingredients in a small bowl. Taste and re-season if necessary.

2. Zucchini: Toss the zucchini with the olive oil then season with sea salt and pepper in a bowl. Grill the zucchini on the grill (or in a grill pan) on one side until the grill marks appear, about 2 minutes. Flip wedges and grill an additional 1-2 minutes. Cut each quarter in half crosswise, return to bowl.

3. Pour the vinaigrette over the zucchini. Add the pine nuts, feta cheese, and basil, then toss gently to coat evenly. Serve warm. Enjoy.

Old 06-08-2011, 01:01 PM

1,013 posts, read 1,421,546 times
No one in the family is a zuchinni fan - but I'm going to try this one. Thanks!!

Old 06-08-2011, 02:27 PM

Zuchinni sounds good to me but I read it to hubby and he wasn't excited lol. But I'm going to have to try that, I've got just the grill for it too

Old 06-08-2011, 04:09 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by House4kids View Post
No one in the family is a zuchinni fan - but I'm going to try this one. Thanks!!
yellow squash sometimes has a little more flavor, you might want to try that. We happen to love all squash (I do anyway) but zuchinni can be bland.

Nita

Old 06-08-2011, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
yellow squash sometimes has a little more flavor, you might want to try that. We happen to love all squash (I do anyway) but zuchinni can be bland.

Nita
Squash is good. I love it too. Hubby won't eat it either. Well the only way I have him eating squash so far is spaghetti squash and I cook the squash and layer it in lasagna instead of noodles and he does love that.

Old 06-08-2011, 07:26 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,433,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misplaced1 View Post
Squash is good. I love it too. Hubby won't eat it either. Well the only way I have him eating squash so far is spaghetti squash and I cook the squash and layer it in lasagna instead of noodles and he does love that.
Veggies and Italian is a winner Try this one:

Ratatouille - Crock Pot
Serves about 6

1 pound eggplant, whole -- peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 medium red onion -- chopped
2 medium bell peppers -- sweet, seeded, 3/4 inch pieces
10 ounces mushrooms -- quartered
14 1/2 ounces diced tomatoes -- drained
8 ounces tomato sauce
3/4 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1 medium yellow squash -- 3/4 inch pieces
1 tablespoon fresh basil -- chopped
olive oil -- optional

Place eggplant in strainer, sprinkle with 1/8 teaspoon salt, let stand for 20 minutes. Press out as much liquid as possible.

Layer in crock pot: Eggplant, onion, bell peppers, mushrooms, tomatoes, pepper, Italian seasoning, and tomato sauce. Cook on low for 5 hours. (High - 3 hours)

Add squash in the last 45 minutes.Before serving stir in basil and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Drizzle with oil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes