Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2017, 08:26 PM

20,937 posts, read 28,438,415 times

Advertisements

Stir fry them in olive oil with garlic, soy sauce and some red pepper flakes. Yum!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2017, 10:49 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,591,238 times
I like to stir-fry them with minced garlic, sliced mushrooms, and water chestnuts. High heat, peanut oil, done when they are tender-crisp. Add a splash of soy sauce and enjoy!

Old 11-03-2017, 11:56 PM

1,796 posts, read 1,662,396 times
I agree with the people who have voted for nut oil. I like almonds with green beans. You have to start with some plain old olive oil (why waste Extra Virgin OO if you are just going to heat it?)

Get a pan really hot, then add fresh cleaned green beans (if there is a little water left on them from washing and rinsing, then that will just assist in the steaming process.) Blister the green beans for a bit, then add salt and pepper. At the last minute, add some sliced almonds. That should take about ten minutes start to finish.

Old 11-04-2017, 12:37 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,518,287 times
I vote for feeding them to the dog (mine loves them), and then buying something you really want to eat. Which also (for me) wouldn't be kale.

I don't dislike green beans, but to me, they're just "there." I have stopped making myself eat things I just really don't feel like eating. If I have to smother it with oil or anything else, that tells me I don't actually like whatever is under all that stuff.

Give me some squash or peppers or Asian veggies. Then, I'm happy with just a quick stir fry without oil, and then maybe add some soy sauce or some other stir fry sauce or even just some salt.

I have changed my diet and am avoiding dairy and oil and meat. This has made me really understand which veggies I really don't much care for. If I really can't imagine eating it without burying it - I just stop buying it.

The only way I ever actually enjoyed eating green beans was in the Thanksgiving casseroles with bacon and mushroom gravy and breadcrumbs - in other words, buried.

Today, on my diet, if you told me I had to eat some green beans, I'd stir fry them without any oil in my non-stick skillet, and then put some stir fry sauce on them. You can find good stir fry sauces without oil in them that are really tasty. I'd do them Asian style in some way. Maybe add some water chestnuts for some crunch.

Old 11-04-2017, 03:38 AM

10,905 posts, read 7,397,769 times
bean salad; blanch the beans, then marinate in vinegar, salt, pepper, sugar, dill.
yum.

Old 11-04-2017, 05:59 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,353,101 times
During the summer I love to combine fresh green beans with fresh tomatoes. During colder months one can use canned tomatoes, but it's a different flavor. I roughly dice a pound or so of tomatoes. In a skillet, I saute some very thinly sliced onions in olive oil. As they finish I add some garlic. While that is cooking I steam or boil the green beans until almost done. I'll finish them with the tomatoes, but I don't want the tomatoes to get too mushy so cook the beans separately. When the beans are ready I toss them in the skillet and add the tomatoes. Add salt, pepper and allow to cook for a few minutes until the tomatoes start to warm up.

My mother used to make something similar with canned tomatoes. She also added cooked bacon.

My grandmother, and mother, often made what I call "Southern" style green beans and potatoes. The beans are a bit overcooked for most people, but it's okay. I use a pound or two of green beans, a pound or so of new potatoes, and a few slices of bacon (or pancetta for a different flavor.) I boil the beans with the bacon (cooked or uncooked is fine). After about 1/2 hour or so, I add the potatoes and continue to simmer until they are done.

Both of these dishes taste like summer to me.

Edited: I just looked at the recipe for Greek style green beans. What I do is very similar without the cinnamon or wine. Mine also are a bit crunchier.

Old 11-04-2017, 07:49 AM

5,014 posts, read 6,606,309 times
stroganoff them -- saute onions & sliced mushrooms in a bit of butter mixed with olive oil until all is soft and onions have taken on some color, add chopped garlic and cook until fragrant, in the meantime, steam the beans separately (maybe in the microwave?) and add to the onion mixture, add some sour cream (how much depends on how saucy you want it), S&P and fresh grated nutmeg. Great over parsley noodles or potatoes.

Old 11-04-2017, 09:08 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,867,681 times
Thanks all, great delicious-sounding tips.

Now, just which one to use for my fresh french green beans...

Old 11-04-2017, 12:14 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,898,206 times
I usually steam them, then toss them in minced garlic, olive oil, freshly squeezed lemon juice, salt, and pepper. I add walnuts, a couple of slices from the center of that lemon, and if I'm making them for a particularly festive occasion, some diced red pepper or red onion. You can use some walnut oil if you feel like splurging (it's expensive, and goes rancid quickly), and some shaved Parmigiano-Reggiano.

Old 11-04-2017, 12:35 PM

126,282 posts, read 19,057,756 times
I make cold or warm green bean salad with olive oil,vinegar,salt,black pepper and onion finely diced.
We also like green bean curry.
My mother used to make a Hungarian green bean soup.Delicious.

https://www.thespruce.com/hungarian-...recipe-1136683
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes