Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2017, 12:39 PM

2,894 posts, read 2,450,841 times

Advertisements

I render 4 slices of chopped bacon in a frying pan. When bacon is crisp, remove from pan and set aside. In hot pan I add to the fat vinegar, sugar, and some minced garlic. Toss cooked green beans with that "dressing" and serve right away.

My son and Sister In Law refuse to eat green beans unless I make them that way. And I love them too.

You could always do Green Beans Almondine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2017, 01:32 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,486,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Wanted to get some different ideas than what I usually make with them...most of time I roast them with olive oil and s/p.

You have any unusual ideas for the ubiquitous fresh green bean?

No canned soup concoctions please
Moved to Recipes forum.

Old 11-04-2017, 01:58 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,846,980 times
I admit to making the southern beans, onions, potato dish with sauteed bacon and veggie broth earlier today...love it...learned from grandmother.

/B]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
During the summer I love to combine fresh green beans with fresh tomatoes. During colder months one can use canned tomatoes, but it's a different flavor. I roughly dice a pound or so of tomatoes. In a skillet, I saute some very thinly sliced onions in olive oil. As they finish I add some garlic. While that is cooking I steam or boil the green beans until almost done. I'll finish them with the tomatoes, but I don't want the tomatoes to get too mushy so cook the beans separately. When the beans are ready I toss them in the skillet and add the tomatoes. Add salt, pepper and allow to cook for a few minutes until the tomatoes start to warm up.

My mother used to make something similar with canned tomatoes. She also added cooked bacon.

My grandmother, and mother, often made what I call "Southern" style green beans and potatoes. The beans are a bit overcooked for most people, but it's okay. I use a pound or two of green beans, a pound or so of new potatoes, and a few slices of bacon (or pancetta for a different flavor.) I boil the beans with the bacon (cooked or uncooked is fine). After about 1/2 hour or so, I add the potatoes and continue to simmer until they are done.

Both of these dishes taste like summer to me.

Edited: I just looked at the recipe for Greek style green beans. What I do is very similar without the cinnamon or wine. Mine also are a bit crunchier.

Old 11-04-2017, 02:00 PM

Saved! really enjoy Hungarian, but never seen this recipe...

QUOTE=Almrausch;50029863]I make cold or warm green bean salad with olive oil,vinegar,salt,black pepper and onion finely diced.
We also like green bean curry.
My mother used to make a Hungarian green bean soup.Delicious.

https://www.thespruce.com/hungarian-...recipe-1136683[/quote]

Old 11-04-2017, 02:05 PM

11,157 posts, read 7,955,804 times
Pickle them. I just recently had someone give me a jar that they pickled themselves and they were really good.

Old 11-05-2017, 11:34 AM

2,503 posts, read 2,071,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post

This looks similar to the recipe I have had that other's have made.
Except they add sausage to the mix. It's so good!

Old 11-05-2017, 11:37 AM

130,122 posts, read 12,082,762 times
I used to cook asparagus in oil or butter, then put some soy sauce on top & then drizzle a bunch of sesame seeds all over. I think this would be good on the green bean too.

Old 11-05-2017, 12:18 PM

I like that combo...green beans do need some help being truly tasty

[/b]
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
I used to cook asparagus in oil or butter, then put some soy sauce on top & then drizzle a bunch of sesame seeds all over. I think this would be good on the green bean too.

Old 11-06-2017, 07:24 AM

50,349 posts, read 63,928,555 times
Not very fancy, but I like to just steam them tender crisp, then toss in a frying pan with only a teaspoon of saved bacon fat. Lots of bacon flavor, but few added calories. Salt and pepper, but you could easily add garlic, or herbs during the stir fry part.

Old 11-06-2017, 11:33 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,755,918 times
My fave:

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/...beans-amandine

You can also nituke them -- stir-fry them, whole or snapped or sliced lengthwise, in a little oil or water with a dash of soy sauce. Sesame seeds optional.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes