Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 05:32 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I'm going to blind bake the crust
BTW, I'm using a 9" deep pie pan.
Pate Brisee yumm

I have spinach and broccoli, Swiss and cheddar.
I've decided to use the spinach and Swiss.
I have some fresh mushrooms and ham - either, both?
Put it all in or maybe start another shell.

I've chopped some onion and a bit of orange pepper.
I'll lightly saute those and wilt the spinach in the same pan.
OK

Shall I use a clove of garlic?
No

The egg to milk/cream ratio is what confounds me the most.
Some recipes use 2 eggs and some four or more
There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to the ratio of egg, milk.
Think thick. It really can't be too thick.

Paula likes SIX eggs with 1 1/2C of heavy cream
I like Paula
hth
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2011, 08:56 PM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
Thanks. I threw in some mushrooms and ham, left out the garlic. I didn't have any cream but used half and half and whipped in some sour cream. I baked it just a tad too long but I didn't ruin it. It looks great.

Old 10-14-2011, 05:44 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,480,869 times
Quiche is all about technique and not so much about recipe. I rarely care what is in it as far as the usual ingredients go, but it will be horrible (mostly horrible) or delicious based on how it is assembled, cooked and served.

Old 10-14-2011, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
Quiche is all about technique and not so much about recipe. I rarely care what is in it as far as the usual ingredients go, but it will be horrible (mostly horrible) or delicious based on how it is assembled, cooked and served.
This is true. I was a bit worried about the egg, cream ratio and how much would be required to fill the 9" deep dish. I looked around for an Alton Brown sort of breakdown. I wanted to know how much liquid would be 'set' by how many eggs. I'm still not really sure.

The results were good but, there's room for improvement.

Old 10-14-2011, 08:37 PM

6,848 posts, read 11,804,066 times
This quiche always gets rave reviews and everyone asks for the recipe... and is just about as fool-proof as it comes from all the feedback I've received. Hope you enjoy it as well... it's mmm, mmm good!

Quiche w/Spinach & Bacon w/a Hashbrown Crust

(Adapted from Paula Deen's Hash Brown Quiche Recipe)
(Cook Time 55 minutes. Serves 4-6)

Ingredients for Crust:
-- 3 Cups Shredded Frozen Hash Browns, thawed & dried (once these thaw, they are very wet)
-- 4 Tbs. (1/2) stick butter, melted

Ingredients for Quiche:
-- 4 Large Eggs, Beaten (original recipe called for 3 eggs... I've always used 4 for a thicker quiche)
-- 1 Cup Half & Half
-- 3-4 Slices Crisp Cooked Bacon, crumbled
-- 1/2 cup diced green onions
-- 1 Cup (packed) Shredded Colby & Monterey cheese (or your own favorite)
-- 1 Cup (packed) fresh spinach, patted dry and chopped
-- Salt & Pepper to taste

Directions for Crust:
-- Preheat Oven to 400-450 degrees
-- Gently press drained hash browns between paper towels to dry.
-- In a 9-inch pie plate, toss hash browns w/melted butter.
-- Press them into bottom and up the sides to form a crust.
-- Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown & starting to crisp.

Directions for Quiche:
-- Meanwhile while crust is baking, combine all remaining ingredients in large mixing bowl (no mixer, mix by hand).
-- When crust is ready, pour the quiche mixture into it & return to oven.
-- Lower oven temperature to 350 degrees and bake for about 30 minutes until quiche is light golden brown on top and puffed up.

Variations:
-- You can skip the frozen shredded hash brown crust and use a frozen pie shell instead in a pinch (baked before adding quiche), just not as good.

-- Also, if you can't find the shredded hash browns, I've used the cubed hash browns before and they actually make for a better, thicker crust. But, to use these instead, you must first thaw & dry as instructed for the shredded ones, then you have to mash them up a bit with a potato masher so they will stick together rather than stay as the little separate cubes they are.

-- The spinach, bacon & green onions ingredients were my preference. In Paula's original recipe, she included 3/4 cup diced cooked ham and 1/2 cup diced green onions instead. So, you can pick and choose your own ingredients to use here, i.e., chives, diced bell pepper, diced cooked chicken, whatever!

Old 10-14-2011, 11:56 PM

I'd try the hash brown crust. Even though I first blind baked the pastry, I wasn't thrilled with the outcome.

Old 08-11-2012, 12:00 PM

20,937 posts, read 28,432,613 times
Default Easy Ham and Cheese Quiche

1/2 cup bisquick heart smart or regular bisquick
1 cup shredded cheese, I used reduced fat colby jack
2 eggs
1 cup milk-I used lowfat
1 tsp Italian seasoning
1 tsp kosher salt
2 cloves of garlic chopped
1/2 cup chopped sweet onion
1 tbsp olive oil
1/4 parmesan or romano cheese
1 cup diced ham

Pre-heat oven on 400. Saute onion and garlic in a pan with olive oil until tender.Add ham and cook for 2 minutes. In a bowl Mix bisquick, 1/2 cup of the shredded cheese, eggs, milk seasonings and grated cheese. Add ham mixture to bisquick, pour into a baking dish (8X8 or 9X9) sprayed with non stick spray so it does not stick, sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup of cheese on top. Bake on 400 for 25 minutes. Test with a tooth pick. I made this yesterday and it can be eaten for breakfast, lunch or as a side with dinner.

Old 08-11-2012, 12:12 PM

4,196 posts, read 6,425,270 times
Sounds really simple, I have eaten Quich before. Never made it though

Old 08-11-2012, 01:45 PM

20,937 posts, read 28,432,613 times
I have been making alot of different things with bisquick these days, pancakes, biscuits, blueberry muffins, vegetable quiche and my latest ham and cheese quiche. It takes 10 minutes to make.

Old 08-11-2012, 02:01 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,437,282 times
And if your lifestyle is low-carb ... just 3 changes: go crustless, use full-fat cheese, and instead of milk use half cream and half water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes