Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 07:21 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by betamanlet View Post

Amazon.com: Female Chauvinist Pigs: Women and the Rise of Raunch Culture (9780743249898): Ariel Levy: Books

MP Dunleavey: How to give up the 'Sex and the City' lifestyle - MSN Money (remember this one???? I started the topic with it... Why did she write the article if there are zero women emulating the lifestyle?)
You said

Quote:
There are lots of women that actively emulate the sex and the city lifestyle.

the first link is about breast cancer and hormone replacement. No where did it say women were emulating the characters.

The second link is to a book on Amazon

The third link talks about spending.
None of these provides proof or even suggest that many women emulate the characters of sex in the city.

Old 06-17-2010, 07:34 AM

956 posts, read 1,767,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samston View Post
Broken record, eh?

OK, you dislike the liberal society we live in. So what? Perhaps look into moving into a more conservative community.
I do come from a conservative country. I have never watched the show*, can't stand most of Holywood and the entertainment industry- mostly low- moralled folks. And we are supposed to look towards them ? Pooh !

*except when an ad for it comes on

Last edited by Gudra; 06-17-2010 at 08:29 AM..

Old 06-17-2010, 08:16 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,072,850 times
I've seen bits of it. Again, it's a show. Not every NY lady is a fast talking **** who wants to do every guy going by and pretend this is how you act to prove you are 'equal to men.'
I don't care for anyone who uses a ton of swear words or goes on about their sex life.

If you like the program, great. If not, don't watch it.

I much prefer the NY of Seinfeld which I can easily relate to.

Old 06-17-2010, 08:50 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,628,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Oh come on, if you haven't seen a TV show or a movie then surely you really shouldn't assume an opinion on it? It's a little bit akin to saying, "I HATE oysters!" when you've never actually tried them in various forms. I have some ambivalences about certain foods as I have some ambivalences in several arenas (including TV shows) but I wouldn't come out and totally trash something I have no real knowledge of. I prefer to proffer my opinion AFTER I've had some experience.

Your last paragraph which I bolded does, however, make sense. What's interesting is that while many have supposed him to be short in stature and rather nerdy-looking, he's actually not.

He used to have his photo posted on his profile and posted a couple of others before he swiped out all the photos and I never understood why he did that. He's quite a good looking young man and is about 5'9" as I recall. He looked in good shape, pretty to the eye as said - but his mental health as evidenced by his posts and threads are SUCH a complete turnoff.

Sad to see a young man who passed the bar exam (which obviously indicates some capacity for learning) so badly fumbling where relationships are concerned. It's sad too that he doesn't correlate his being a basic "grunt" attorney doing basic research with this inability to make friends and lovers.

He's had some good advice for some time now viz a viz seeking professional advice and has ignored it all. Not much we can do when betamanlet knows all!

I have seen so many excerpts of the programme, and also quite a few bits of it on a programme analysing the SATC phenomenon so I know it's simply not for me. A show about 4 women who spend a lot of time talking about sex, dating and have an obsession with shopping and men simply does not appeal in the slightest. Granted it might be unfair and I should sit and watch an entire episode. Not sure I can be bothered though. Next time it's on TV I shall give it 15 minutes, how about that for a compromise ?

The previews for the film are enough to bring me out in hives ! I was at the movies the other day when the previews came on ( again... I have seen it so many times now) as well as the ones for "Prince of Persia" and I had a hard time figuring out which would be more suitable should anyone kidnap me and want to torture me into giving them precious information.... Both would do it but SATC might just about have the edge.

As I said I am sure the script is very smart and sharp but the topic just holds no interest for me. I would not dream of criticising the series if I had never seen any of of it, none of what I have seen appeals though. It's not quite the same as not having tried oysters and gone "eeeeeew gross" , more like having a nibble and thinking "meh".

I do agree about the OP though. It is sad that a few bad experiences ( I presume ) have tainted an entire sex for him and skewed his perspective on relationships though. What a waste...

Old 06-17-2010, 08:54 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,628,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Uh oh. If people start emulating Dexter, we're in big trouble!

Hahaha!

I'm sure a lot of people would be relieved to have a Dexter to clean up some of our streets of the less than savoury characters... As long as we're not the recipients of his particular kind of justice maybe !

Seriously though I would rather sit through hundreds of hours of "Jeeves and Wooster" or " Foyle's War" than SATC. Maybe it's because I am not really a girly girl and have no girlie friendships that the concept of it completely escapes me.

Old 06-17-2010, 09:22 AM

29,746 posts, read 34,389,499 times
The thing that gets me about the Sex and the City "backlash" if you can call it that, (and it's not coming from the people indifferent to SATC on C-D. At least not all of them.) is that there's a tone of "since it's a cultural phenomenon that appeals to women, it has to be silly and frivolous and unimportant, because everything that women like is silly and frivolous and unimportant." People talking about the Sopranos or hockey at the watercooler is fine, because that stuff's cool, but Sex and the City, that's for chicks.

Old 06-17-2010, 09:25 AM

6,489 posts, read 8,814,543 times
I've never seen the show either. I like to watch Little House on the Prairie. If only I could find some bonnets like Laura's without going shopping...I hate shopping.

Old 06-17-2010, 09:27 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
The thing that gets me about the Sex and the City "backlash" if you can call it that, (and it's not coming from the people indifferent to SATC on C-D. At least not all of them.) is that there's a tone of "since it's a cultural phenomenon that appeals to women, it has to be silly and frivolous and unimportant, because everything that women like is silly and frivolous and unimportant." People talking about the Sopranos or hockey at the watercooler is fine, because that stuff's cool, but Sex and the City, that's for chicks.
And from people with that mentality:
  • Spending $800 on hockey tickets, jerseys, an autographed poster, and various video games: cool hobby
  • Spending $800 on shoes and a handbag: shallow and wasteful

Old 06-17-2010, 09:28 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie2101 View Post
I've never seen the show either. I like to watch Little House on the Prairie. If only I could find some bonnets like Laura's without going shopping...I hate shopping.
At the Naper Settlement gift shop.

Old 06-17-2010, 10:36 AM

5,412 posts, read 4,239,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
And from people with that mentality:
  • Spending $800 on hockey tickets, jerseys, an autographed poster, and various video games: cool hobby
  • Spending $800 on shoes and a handbag: shallow and wasteful
You're comparing an event to some incredilbly overpriced product, that has no inherent value, that is made by slave labor in some asian country that's only function is to shout out to other women "look what I have!" People enjoy hockey games, do you enjoy and get entertainment from handbags????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships