Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 01:06 PM

154 posts, read 526,643 times

Advertisements

Our society puts to much pressure on married couples. They expect that the spouse to provide most social, intellectual and intimate conversational needs to their partner.

This expectation is really hard on the men. Because men's friendships in general are not as close as a woman, many men are lonely. Men's friendships are best described as buddies, activity partners, and sports participants. They are not likely to provide the deep friendship that most women have with their close girl friends.

Many men tell me that while they love their wife and enjoy the the time they spend with each other, they would like to communicate in a personal and close way to other human beings. But again, the type of relationships men have with each other do not allow the type of closeness they need. There are things that the men would like to talk about that their male buddies will not discuss and their spouse just have no interest in.

What is a man to do? His social and conversational needs can not be met by just one woman. He loves his wife but feels unfulfilled. Married Men need close women friends! Don't you agree?

Last edited by email_lover; 07-08-2010 at 01:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2010, 01:13 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,262,240 times
No. I think you should marry your best friend and having other women around is just asking for trouble. Best friends can talk about anything. My s.o. really does not talk about anything much with other people. We were best friends first though and we grew to talk about more stuff. He is rather private with outsiders. He admits he has trust issues. He however does not meet all my needs really conversationally. But its getting better since he has gone back to school. His conversations are more diverse. But there are subjects he really has nothing to say about because he has no interest in them and it drives me crazy sometimes. So I just read and day dream instead.

Old 07-08-2010, 01:22 PM

5,143 posts, read 5,406,461 times
I don't know. I don't want to be someone that is jealous and won't let me talk to other women. But, on the other hand, probably my number one requirement is that I find somebody that I am just fascinated to hear speak. I TOTALLY could not settle for somebody I couldn't connect with, conversation wise, on every level.

Old 07-08-2010, 01:22 PM

1,589 posts, read 2,682,209 times
No, I disagree. If he needs to talk to someone about personal things that he can't discuss with his wife, his buddies, or his family, then perhaps he should turn to a therapist. They are paid to listen.

Old 07-08-2010, 01:24 PM

5,987 posts, read 10,471,479 times
My wife is my best friend, and we can usually talk about almost anything. I have other friends I can talk with about the few subjects my wife and I don't because we don't share a common interest in a few things. And sometimes I may need advice about her, and so talking with someone else can help in those rare instances. She has some other friends she can talk to about subjects that don't much interest me.

I have about as many female friends as I have male friends. Unlike pitt, I don't find having female friends around creates any problems at all. That's probably because of two things: I can clearly make the distinction between a friend and someone who is more than a friend (i.e., my wife), so female friends don't get hit on by me and wouldn't get anywhere if they hit on me; and secondly, my wife isn't at all jealous, is always welcome to come along if I see a female friend, and is happy that I have such good friends of whatever gender.

Old 07-08-2010, 01:28 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
No. I know nothing about baseball and he is far more interested in different bands and music than I ever will be. Those things are what he likes to talk about almost all the time. It didn't used to be that way but that's how it is now. Maybe that's one reason we are getting divorced. Well that and his "close personal friendship" with another woman. LOL

Last edited by Ceece; 07-08-2010 at 01:40 PM..

Old 07-08-2010, 01:34 PM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
I think this has been posted before.

Old 07-08-2010, 01:38 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by email_lover View Post
Our society puts to much pressure on married couples. They expect that the spouse it suppose to provide most social, intellectual and intimate conversational needs to their partner.

This expectation is really hard on the men. Because men's friendships in general are not as close as a woman, many men are lonely. Men's friendships are best described as buddies, activity partners, and sports participants. They are not likely to provide the deep friendship that most women have with their close girl friends.

Many men tell me that while they love their wife and enjoy the the time they spend with each other, they would like to communicate in a personal and close way to other human beings. But again, the type of relationships men have with each other do not allow the type of closeness they need. There are things that the men would like to talk about that their male buddies will not discuss and their spouse just have no interest in.

What is a man to do? His social and conversational needs can not be met by just one woman. He loves his wife but feels unfulfilled. Married Men need close women friends! Don't you agree?
uh, no.

Men with close women friends is a recipe for disaster, sorry.

Old 07-08-2010, 01:50 PM

154 posts, read 526,643 times
Default People are misunderstanding the question!

I do not think it is healthy to expect your spouse to be your only source for high quality conversation. Sure the men can talk about baseball or work out at the gym together but typical men talk is boring. Us women have it easier, we can have our husband as our best friend but have close women friends we can share intimate conversation. Men are not getting much good conversation from their buddies (other men). So this puts incredible pressure on their spouse to be their only real friend. I think it is to much to expect from one person.

Old 07-08-2010, 01:53 PM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by email_lover View Post
I do not think it is healthy to expect your spouse to be your only source for high quality conversation. Sure the men can talk about baseball or work out at the gym together but typical men talk is boring. Us women have it easier, we can have our husband as our best friend but have close women friends we can share intimate conversation. Men are not getting much good conversation from their buddies (other men). So this puts incredible pressure on their spouse to be their only real friend. I think it is to much to expect from one person.

Dont know where you are living, but all the men I know have very intimate conversations with their buddies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships