Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 06:22 PM

23 posts, read 32,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lannack315 View Post
Because If a guy said it, no one would believe him. Unless its for the "emotional" reasons I mentioned no heterosexual man, If given the choice, would choose not to have a woman in his life. Whether its for dating or at the very least sex.
I'm a man.

I'm heterosexual.

I choose to be single (and no, I'm not emotionally vulnerable).

Quote:
So If a guy says "I'm choosing to be alone" either he's telling the truth and he really does prefer masturbation over sex.
I was under the impression that the topic was specifically about being in a relationship. I mean, you are aware that one can abstain from being in a relationship and yet still have sex, yes?

You're also painting a very broad brush. Believe it or not, not every man places the same value on sex as you do. A person doesn't have to "prefer masturbation over sex" if he simply feels that the "cost" of sex (that is, being in a relationship) is too high to be worth it.

Old 07-23-2010, 11:18 PM

4,837 posts, read 8,854,176 times
Its always by choice - either yours or someone elses. For most people, both are at work.

Old 07-24-2010, 02:46 AM

30,324 posts, read 51,925,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
It means women generally have less of a problem with getting dates/relationships than men and they could endlessly do it, if they're so inclined.
Bingo. I'm a woman, not unattractive but not a supermodel either, and I can literally get dates whenever I want - especially if I'm just looking to get laid. If I were really desperate to be in a relationship, I could easily sign onto Craigslist (or visit the local bar) and find someone passable. But I choose to wait until the RIGHT man comes along, rather than taking any offers that present themselves in the meantime. So for me at least, it means I choose to be single rather than dating around with random guys... whereas I know lots of women who'll date anything "decent," mostly because they hate being alone. I love my independence, and not willing to give it up for just anyone!

Old 07-24-2010, 07:52 AM

9,444 posts, read 17,380,283 times
Usually when attached people nag and nag and nag a single person why they are single, they get a "I'm single by choice" response.

In general I think it's when women would want/prefer be with someone worthy than be alone and if they are single by choice, that means that they haven't found a match.

Old 07-24-2010, 09:53 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,469,913 times
As incomprehensible as it may sound, sometimes some of likle the peace, solitude, lack of drama and low-key status of being alone. I did for over two years after I divorced. The last thing I wanted was any form of involvement. Since I was 50 there were a number of available women who wanted to change my status to "in a relationship" but I wanted nothing to do with it or them. I learned to enjoy my own company. That, to me, was the epitomy of "single by choice!"

Old 07-24-2010, 10:14 AM

1,561 posts, read 2,204,463 times
If a gal tells a guy that she is "Single by choice". This means she is rejecting him. However to prevent the guy from making use of the "Sour Grapes" (If you can not have something it must be not worth having) defense of his ego. Instead she turns the knife by saying untold legions of guys desire her and she has her choice amongst any of them. You however do not merit being one of the worshipful following and never will be.

If a guy said he was "Single by choice". This means that women have made a choice and it was not him.

If a Gal tells her Family she is "Single by choice". This means Stop bothering me.

If a guy tells his Family he is "Single by choice". This means he is eternally grateful to be out of a bad relationship and does not entertain plans to enter another.

If a Gal tells her friends she is "Single by choice". This means she has not found a guy yet.

If a guy tells his friends he is "Single by choice". This means he is a loser that spends his Friday nights on the Internet hoping to spot a gal that is not a 35 year old male FBI agent pretending to be a underage girl.

Old 07-24-2010, 12:47 PM

4,837 posts, read 8,854,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattB4 View Post
If a gal tells a guy that she is "Single by choice". This means she is rejecting him. However to prevent the guy from making use of the "Sour Grapes" (If you can not have something it must be not worth having) defense of his ego. Instead she turns the knife by saying untold legions of guys desire her and she has her choice amongst any of them. You however do not merit being one of the worshipful following and never will be.

If a guy said he was "Single by choice". This means that women have made a choice and it was not him.

If a Gal tells her Family she is "Single by choice". This means Stop bothering me.

If a guy tells his Family he is "Single by choice". This means he is eternally grateful to be out of a bad relationship and does not entertain plans to enter another.

If a Gal tells her friends she is "Single by choice". This means she has not found a guy yet.

If a guy tells his friends he is "Single by choice". This means he is a loser that spends his Friday nights on the Internet hoping to spot a gal that is not a 35 year old male FBI agent pretending to be a underage girl.
Life has just become too complicated. To your list, I would add:

If a decent guy over 35 (with a good job, savings and his life in order) is single by (his) choice he probably at one time thought that these were necessary prerequisites for a successful marriage. He worked hard and sacrificed to achieve them and since then, he's come to realize that for his type, getting married is akin to Russian roulette! Besides, of all types of men, he has the least need to be married.

Old 07-24-2010, 12:48 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,749,537 times
It means : " Successfully Single "

Old 07-24-2010, 12:52 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,181,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotARedneck View Post
Life has just become too complicated. To your list, I would add:

If a decent guy over 35 (with a good job, savings and his life in order) is single by (his) choice he probably at one time thought that these were necessary prerequisites for a successful marriage. He worked hard and sacrificed to achieve them and since then, he's come to realize that for his type, getting married is akin to Russian roulette! Besides, of all types of men, he has the least need to be married.
I always look forward to your posts. I love the insight.

I really hope posters and lurkers pay attention to the depth of your knowledge and experience.

Ron

Old 07-24-2010, 03:25 PM

1,589 posts, read 2,681,735 times
Society is geared for couples. So if you are single, you are always being questioned about your status, by family members, friends, co-workers, etc. There's an assumption that being single is a problem that needs a solution.

Many people are not very tactful with their questions and imply that you must be defective in some way. It's offensive and even when the questions are well-meaning, it gets tiresome.

For me, the response "single by choice" was a polite way of saying "mind your own business" and/or "No, I really don't want to be set up with your unemployed nephew".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.