Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 04:26 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,626,210 times

Advertisements

This is in response to the thread about the guy asking if his posters would be a turnoff for women. Do any men find certain feminine home decorating habits to also be a turnoff? I must admit that I find a number of things that many women do to their homes that strikes me as being something that would be more appropriate for children. For example, collecting teddy bears, dolls, cutesy photos of kittens, and other sentimental drivel is ok if you're twelve years old but not if you're fifty. I hate the frilly pink colored nonsense that adorns the abodes of many adult women. I have a female friend who has spent her life collecting toy pigs and in fact I've even given her a few when I've traveled to different countries and picked some up to add to her collection. This woman is in her late fifties and she considers her collection to be part of her identity. If her house ever caught fire I'm sure that she'd make every effort to save the pig collection before she'd even think of saving anything else.
Ok, so why does it seem normal for an adult woman to obsess about something that's essentially childish but if a man did the same thing and collected the sort of toys that you'd associate with a twelve year old boy he'd be laughed out of town? Just wondering.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2010, 04:29 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times
I'm not really happy about the color pink on walls, or floral patterns. In fact, I don't really care for patterns at all, I prefer solid colors,

Old 08-18-2010, 04:35 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,741,555 times
I'm a woman and I find pink frilly stuff nauseating. It looks good on baby girls and that's about it.

My home decor consists of brown leather, wood, red curtains and lots of plants. I do think I have a pink toilet mat though, but that will go when the bathroom is redecorated.

Old 08-18-2010, 04:36 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,170,643 times
He-he, I'm a woman and many female tastes drive me nuts! First off, I'm not a pink girl! I can't stand frilly, flowery, country, plaid, etc. things. Don't even get me started on "collectibles," aka dust collectors!

Yeah, stuffed animals are supposed to be a turn-off to men. I did have a tree with a dozen monkeys hanging on it before I married last time, though. I love monkeys and was sort of collecting them for some time, so I just had decided to let them enjoy themselves on the tree! I was living in a modest apartment at the time, so it wasn't a place suitable for high-class decor anyway... Might as well be at least cheerful! I don't have them displayed anymore as I wanted to go for an adult decor now, but I miss them sometimes.

Old 08-18-2010, 04:45 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,385,589 times
Oh my gosh, I agree on all the collection nonsense. I mean, I don't want to upset anyone (I seem to be striking a nerve lately), but I can't stand all the little nick nacks (spelling?), statues, or too many plants and flowers. Actually when it comes to decorating, I'm a crazy minimalist. It even surprises my husband. If it wasn't for him, our house would be a lot more stripped down. Our furniture is dark and modern. I like when it's just clean, sharp and with just a little twist.
Attached Thumbnails
What Sort Of Home Decorating By Women Is A Turnoff?-picture-011.jpg  

Old 08-18-2010, 04:50 PM

4,897 posts, read 18,493,158 times
OMG --as a woman, i myself cant stand the frilly, pink, flowered, very female etc stuff. i mean who wants to enter a room or bathroom like that??
i myself like what some might consider masculine type of decor--meaning leather furniture, less is more, no ruffles etc.
why insist that my husband sleep in a pink bedroom with flowered curtains and bedspread?? i will never understand these women.

Old 08-18-2010, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
Oh my gosh, I agree on all the collection nonsense. I mean, I don't want to upset anyone (I seem to be striking a nerve lately), but I can't stand all the little nick nacks (spelling?), statues, or too many plants and flowers. Actually when it comes to decorating, I'm a crazy minimalist. It even surprises my husband. If it wasn't for him, our house would be a lot more stripped down. Our furniture is dark and modern. I like when it's just clean, sharp and with just a little twist.
Wow, that's more minimalistic even than me! You sure you don't have some Japanese blood in ya? Sure makes cleaning easier! And stays clean! Just the thought of a few dozen little porcelain pieces of junk covered in dust gives me the creeps! It can never be clean unless you dust 24/7.

Old 08-18-2010, 04:53 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,962,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
What Sort Of Home Decorating By Women Is A Turnoff?
Lots of pink.
Cat themes
Themes of her "girly" type hobbies like collecting doilies, teapots, or figurines.
Country. I pretty much hate anything and everything country.

Old 08-18-2010, 04:53 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,116,279 times
Oh yeah, collections are a big no-no.

Other man turn-offs:

The smelly cat-box in the bathroom.

24 different bottles of lotion/shampoo/bubblebath etc in the shower.

Cute matchy kitchen accessories. Double the points if they are just for "looks" and you don't actually allow anyone to use them.

The little rug sets that cover the toilet seat and the toilet tank.

Plaques with cute "sayings".

Good grief, I'm a chick and I know this stuff.

Old 08-18-2010, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by findinghope View Post
OMG --as a woman, i myself cant stand the frilly, pink, flowered, very female etc stuff. i mean who wants to enter a room or bathroom like that??
i myself like what some might consider masculine type of decor--meaning leather furniture, less is more, no ruffles etc.
why insist that my husband sleep in a pink bedroom with flowered curtains and bedspread?? i will never understand these women.
Ha-ha, a whole bunch of us with wrong chromosomes here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships