Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 05:03 PM

41 posts, read 64,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeniorita View Post
OP, after reading your posts, it doesn't sound like you were very effective in relaying the core issue of why you decided to get rid of the dog. You told him you were sick....which was a symptom of the behavior of the dog. You failed to make him understand the reasoning behind your decision and he ended up feeling like you got rid of him because you were sick, emotional and couldn't handle it.

Never once do you mention to him (in your posts) about the neighbors threats to call animal control, safety of the dog, damage to his property, etc. so by all accounts, I can understand his anger.

Might I suggest in the future if you decide to take on such a responsibility, you think if through and once you accept it... deal with it...warts and all.

I hope the dog was able to be placed in a loving and nurturing home because it doesn't seem either of you were capable of providing it with a good home.
Oh he knew everything. Every time the negihbor came by, every time I need to replace something because of the dog, I told him. It's hard to summarize every little detail here because it's been going on for a month and a half, and everyday something happened. I called his friends and family and nobody wanted the dog.

Old 10-29-2010, 05:23 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,570,804 times
Hope the dogs adopted by someone who will give him the love and care he needs. He left you in a position to make the decision when he played games and wouldn't return calls. You made the right choice for yourself and the dog. Good Luck.

Old 10-29-2010, 05:58 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,680,731 times
The dog was probably put down, or will be soon. Even PETA has reportedly killed 85% of the animals they rescue. I don't know why people say they can take care of an animal when in fact they cant, but I do know an early death is the result. For the animal of course, not the person. Oh well, OP, you agreed to take care of the dog, but you only meant if it was easy for you!

Old 10-29-2010, 06:08 PM

3,622 posts, read 5,817,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
The dog was probably put down, or will be soon. Even PETA has reportedly killed 85% of the animals they rescue. I don't know why people say they can take care of an animal when in fact they cant, but I do know an early death is the result. For the animal of course, not the person. Oh well, OP, you agreed to take care of the dog, but you only meant if it was easy for you!
Agreed. I used to volunteer for a no-kill shelter, while working as a vet tech. We heard some horrible stories. The county shelters will often tell you the animal will be adopted (especially if you donated at drop off), even though chances are slim to none. The fact the dog is not a cute little puppy, and is untrained, makes the odds that much worse.

Don't get me started on Peta. There was a case where Peta "rescued" animals from a vet in Virginia (I think it was) to place them in good homes, and they were euthanized right there in the parking lot in the van. Never even left the premises. Then the animals were dumped in a garbage bin behind a grocery store.

Back on topic, I don't see a happy ending for the dog. I hope your boyfriend does not get another dog. Seriously.

Old 10-29-2010, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
Well we never had a contract written down - but even if there was one - I'm sure I could easily get out of it because there was undisclosed information (how destructive that dog was). Think like this, you entered into a contract with someone without knowing the whole truth, later you discovered those truth (defects), and those defects were so material that could make the enforcement of the contract unconscious. Would you choose to stay? or would you get out?

It's not my voluntary decision if I was told everything about the dog - it was the later-discovered problems make the agreement between us extremely unfair. Yes I know a dog other than an object is involved, but still, is it worth loosing my job and my sanity to stick to the agreement?

Old 10-29-2010, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neemy View Post
Agreed. I used to volunteer for a no-kill shelter, while working as a vet tech. We heard some horrible stories. The county shelters will often tell you the animal will be adopted (especially if you donated at drop off), even though chances are slim to none. The fact the dog is not a cute little puppy, and is untrained, makes the odds that much worse.

Don't get me started on Peta. There was a case where Peta "rescued" animals from a vet in Virginia (I think it was) to place them in good homes, and they were euthanized right there in the parking lot in the van. Never even left the premises. Then the animals were dumped in a garbage bin behind a grocery store.

Back on topic, I don't see a happy ending for the dog. I hope your boyfriend does not get another dog. Seriously.
As much as people wanted to blame me on here - if my ex-bf truly loved the dog, he would have accepted my suggestion of paying for the neighbor to take care of the dog. He didn't want to pay, so I really don't think he cared.

There was once his dog got hit by a car- he didn't even take the dog to the hospital! I never thought he treated the dog seriously, so I don't understand why he was upset now.

Old 10-29-2010, 06:30 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,021,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveller1985 View Post
and those defects were so material that could make the enforcement of the contract unconscious.
I uh...by any chance, is this a Mad Lib?

Old 10-29-2010, 06:37 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,680,731 times
Quote:
Well we never had a contract written down - but even if there was one - I'm sure I could easily get out of it because there was undisclosed information (how destructive that dog was). Think like this, you entered into a contract with someone without knowing the whole truth, later you discovered those truth (defects), and those defects were so material that could make the enforcement of the contract unconscious. Would you choose to stay? or would you get out?

It's not my voluntary decision if I was told everything about the dog - it was the later-discovered problems make the agreement between us extremely unfair. Yes I know a dog other than an object is involved, but still, is it worth loosing my job and my sanity to stick to the agreement?
I can't discuss this with you, because we are different people. I would never agree to take care of an animal without meeting it first and seriously considering whether I am up to the job. I could never drop an animal off to be killed as punishment for bad behavior, so I would never be you.

Also for me, viewing my verbal word to take care of animal as a *contract* makes no sense. I would never allow the care of another living being to be in my hands if I were not up to the task.

That's just me, watching a pet might not be as important to you. And that''s ok, but just warn people first before you watch their pets.

Old 10-29-2010, 06:37 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,570,804 times
You're circumstances changed when you took a job 50miles away. Hes an irresponsible jack-wagon and had no promblem relaying what he wanted done in the house and how much money he needed from you after you started working.

It was only a matter of time before neighbors made enough complaints and the dog would have been taken by the humane society.

If it were me, I would have found someone who did animal resues, through the internet or a referral, it might not be to late.

Old 10-29-2010, 06:39 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,148,408 times
Quote:
I posted questions before about what to do with my bf's house and dog.

The dog chewed on the walls and window blinds when I was gone for 15 hours everyday - so he can't be kept inside;
I chained him in the backyard, he refused to eat and kept barking - my neighbors got mad at me;
I gave him freedom in the backyard, he dug holes on the fence and started to run on the street - people knocked on my door and said they were going to call animal control people.

The dog has a habit of barking at night (the whole night), so after not getting sleep at all for couple of days, I finally got sick yesterday. I had been telling my bf that I will take the dog to a shelter for adoption, he never agreed. After hearing that I was sick, my overseas boyfriend said "you always use sickness as an excuse". " I need you to take care of my dog, stop talking about your feelings and emotions."

So I called the animal clinic, told them my situation and asked them what to do - they said it's best if I can find the dog a new home. I was trying to get in touch with my bf the whole time, he avoided any contact with me.

With no other options, I took the dog to a shelter, donated $50, and left. (they assured me he'll be adopted, cuz he's kinda good looking and still young).

So this is my boyfriend's reaction when he heard the dog was gone:

"I left the country trusting with you my dog. Now my dog is gone.You have acted against me. Repercussions are forthcoming"

I told him the dog kept me from sleeping at night, and now I'm sick and can't go to work, he said "Sick" is always the word you use when you justify any action you take, no matter what action you perform.You have access to medical care and can rest. You're not in a cage or dying.What's the matter?"

I broke up with him now. I will move out from his house ASAP, hopefully next week. Just wondering how many cheap people like him are out there in the world? I don't think there are many
I am rather speechless after reading this post because it is just WRONG in so many ways.

First of all, your boyfriend needed to make appropriate arrangements to have his dog cared for in his absence. You do not IMPOSE your dog on another human being, regardless of whether it is a girlfriend or not.

And secondly, you should be Moderator cut: snip for mistreating this poor dog. I can only pray that the Gods of Karma were watching closely, and I regret that I will not be in attendance when you get your just rewards.

Try to remember this. Please. In the future. In order to care for a dog properly, you must be smarter than the dog.

20yrsinBranson

Last edited by Keeper; 10-30-2010 at 05:48 AM.. Reason: a little extreme there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships