Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 03:35 PM

732 posts, read 1,045,931 times

Advertisements

[quote=Neemy;16561564]That's not even close to what I said. There are times it would be extremely inappropriate. In a dark parking lot, in the ladies room. In a coffee shop, bookstore or grocery store? Totally fine. To me, anyway, but, as I said, I don't assume every guy is a creep. And I've got a pretty good sense for these things.

How many men are hanging in the ladies room trying to pick up women?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2010, 03:40 PM

2,590 posts, read 4,531,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgianbelle View Post
Sorry but I don't like it. I like being able to just go places and not be bothered. It happens a lot and usually just makes me leave the place I am at. To me the grocery store, the library, a coffee shop etc... should not be places that men bother women. Speak, smile, and if a woman is interested, she will find a way to let you know. Also, never pay attention to any of that pick up stuff...it just makes most women's skin crawl.
So basically men shouldn't "bother" women anywhere.
I can imagine it is pretty annoying to get approached constantly. Where is a good place to "bother" women then?

I find that it can differ with the location. In some places the women just seem more approachable on average. Strangely enough, the women of NYC seemed much more open to being approached than the ones here in Atlanta. They also seemed more likely to do the approaching or at least to make more of an effort to signal their interest so that a guy might approach them. Atlanta women act totally different to me and aren't nearly as direct. I used to mistake that for being stuck up which isn't always the case.

Old 11-07-2010, 04:09 PM

4,721 posts, read 5,312,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL3000 View Post
I can imagine it is pretty annoying to get approached constantly. Where is a good place to "bother" women then?

I find that it can differ with the location. In some places the women just seem more approachable on average. Strangely enough, the women of NYC seemed much more open to being approached than the ones here in Atlanta. They also seemed more likely to do the approaching or at least to make more of an effort to signal their interest so that a guy might approach them. Atlanta women act totally different to me and aren't nearly as direct. I used to mistake that for being stuck up which isn't always the case.
Read my whole post...it says speak and smile, and then, if the woman is interested she will let you know. Women send out signals. For instance, does she return your smile, look you in the eyes, and keep glancing your way? If so, that means she is interested. That is when you know that you are not bothering her...lol. Some guys are too forward...it doesn't sound like you would be. Just follow the woman's lead.

Old 11-07-2010, 04:27 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,011,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
I'm not trying to offend any women on here but in general women that are at least somewhat attractive do NOT want approached in publc. If it's a woman that doesn't get much attention from men usually...then she will be much more receptive to it. Also most women over 27 or so are not single...so randomly approaching a woman that is married is a bad idea. All around it's just a bad idea unless you get a clear signal that she wants you to talk to her.

And that's why I never made an attempt to do it because it would feel strange

Old 11-07-2010, 05:04 PM

3,622 posts, read 5,814,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansProof View Post
I guess that explains why I haven't had any luck approaching out of dark allies. As a guy, we just don't think of these things
If a dark parking lot is bad, a dark alley is worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandavaran View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neemy View Post
That's not even close to what I said. There are times it would be extremely inappropriate. In a dark parking lot, in the ladies room. In a coffee shop, bookstore or grocery store? Totally fine. To me, anyway, but, as I said, I don't assume every guy is a creep. And I've got a pretty good sense for these things.

How many men are hanging in the ladies room trying to pick up women?
So if I don't use an emoticon, facetiousness just gets totally lost on some people. Good grief.

You guys just want to shoot down any opinion that doesn't say "Yeah, all women suck!", when I'm sitting here saying "Hey, I wouldn't be rude if some guy approached me in a grocery store"? Okay, stay bitter. Whatever makes you happy. (Irony, don'tcha love it?)

Old 11-07-2010, 05:12 PM

4,721 posts, read 5,312,208 times
[quote=Neemy;16565693]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandavaran View Post

So if I don't use an emoticon, facetiousness just gets totally lost on some people. Good grief.

Don't use such big words...use an emoticon instead...some people might not understand.

Old 11-07-2010, 05:13 PM

5,324 posts, read 6,100,875 times
Depends on how attractive the Man approaching is..

Old 11-07-2010, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgianbelle View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neemy View Post
So if I don't use an emoticon, facetiousness just gets totally lost on some people.

Don't use such big words...use an emoticon instead...some people might not understand.
I couldn't find an emoticon for "facetious", so I'll just say "" and "", with a dash of "". Okay, add another dash of "", because .

Neemy

Old 11-07-2010, 06:11 PM

3,440 posts, read 5,717,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL3000 View Post

NYC women are some of the coolest women for many guys.

See, southern women a lot of times are much more reserved than women on the East and West Coast.

Old 11-07-2010, 06:25 PM

Atlanta's a transplant city, for the most part. I've lived in the area most of my life, but am originally from up north. I think once you get outside the metro area you'll find the more "traditional" southern reserved type. Not so much in the metro area, though. Maybe my perspective is skewed because out of all my friends here, not one is a born southerner? My long-time best friends are from Rochester, NYC, Akron, south Jersey, Chicago, Newfoundland, and Germany. And we've all known each other 15+ years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships