Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2010, 10:52 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,476,279 times

Advertisements

Just curious..

How do women feel about being approached by a random guy out in public like on the bus, at the bookstore, at Starbucks, etc.? Basically any everyday place that doesn't serve alcohol

Most of the women I've met and dated were from social circles and mutual gatherings. The few times I've tried to approach a women out in public turned out quite awkward even when they were dropping overt "signals".

(Fyi, there's a lot of literature on other sites about this, particularly the "pick up artist / seduction" community. I'm NOT really into that sort of thing since it just simply isn't compatible with my personality and values so please don't suggest anything like saying those special pickup lines to her.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2010, 11:59 PM

3,622 posts, read 5,813,382 times
I'd be flattered, personally. I've been approached in a CVS, before, and, though I wasn't interested, it didn't creep me out. I thought it was sweet.

It would have creeped me out if we were in the contraception section, though.

I will say that anything from the PUA rule book would not impress me.

Old 11-07-2010, 12:13 AM

1,206 posts, read 2,926,984 times
I think most girls would have their guard up when being approached in public by a random guy. For all you know you are a weirdo. Also you do not know if they are taken or not. Your better off dating from your circles and meetings unless you are ok with getting rejected ALOT. Your also dating women based on how they look, rather then their personality, so start thinking with your big head, not the little one.

Old 11-07-2010, 01:12 AM

1,589 posts, read 2,681,526 times
I never minded it as long as the guy was respectful. One of the first big loves of my life was a man I met in the grocery store. We were both looking for the perfect avocado. He made a comment about how avocados should be one of the four major food groups and I laughed. He somehow managed to get right in line behind me at the check out and chatted me up. He never asked for my number and I never offered it, but I must have mentioned my job because the next day there were flowers from him on my desk along with a note asking me out and his phone number.

He was super handsome, smart, and funny. We were inseparable for nearly two years until I screwed it up.

I've been asked out by strangers lots of times. How I feel about it really depends on how you come across and my intuition.

Old 11-07-2010, 04:40 AM

5,722 posts, read 5,797,648 times
I'm not trying to offend any women on here but in general women that are at least somewhat attractive do NOT want approached in publc. If it's a woman that doesn't get much attention from men usually...then she will be much more receptive to it. Also most women over 27 or so are not single...so randomly approaching a woman that is married is a bad idea. All around it's just a bad idea unless you get a clear signal that she wants you to talk to her.

Old 11-07-2010, 05:35 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,334,752 times
I was at this summer festival one time and I walked by a group of guys and one of them grabbed me by the arm and pulled me towards him. Lets just say it was pretty scary. I guess it all depends on how they approach you. If done in a polite, respectful way I'd be flattered.

Old 11-07-2010, 05:37 AM

4,897 posts, read 18,487,108 times
WANDERLIST: so what you are saying is that if we dont mind being approached we are not that great looking, dont usually get any attention from men or are probably married.
why dont you let the women here answer for themselves, hmmm?

i personally would not be offended if it was done respectfully. i would be flattered.

Old 11-07-2010, 06:12 AM

15,714 posts, read 21,064,746 times
It depends on how you approach the person.

If I'm in a store, coffee shop, etc. I wouldn't mind at all. I guess I wouldn't assume it was a pick up either though, and just a friendly person.

I'm happily married but I don't usually wear my rings, so whomever is approaching would not have that information. I can't say I've ever been rude to someone just trying to make conversation. If he got creepy I'd just excuse myself and walk away.

Old 11-07-2010, 06:12 AM

4,721 posts, read 5,310,589 times
Sorry but I don't like it. I like being able to just go places and not be bothered. It happens a lot and usually just makes me leave the place I am at. To me the grocery store, the library, a coffee shop etc... should not be places that men bother women. Speak, smile, and if a woman is interested, she will find a way to let you know. Also, never pay attention to any of that pick up stuff...it just makes most women's skin crawl.

Old 11-07-2010, 06:17 AM

328 posts, read 573,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
Just curious..

How do women feel about being approached by a random guy out in public like on the bus, at the bookstore, at Starbucks, etc.? Basically any everyday place that doesn't serve alcohol

Most of the women I've met and dated were from social circles and mutual gatherings. The few times I've tried to approach a women out in public turned out quite awkward even when they were dropping overt "signals".

(Fyi, there's a lot of literature on other sites about this, particularly the "pick up artist / seduction" community. I'm NOT really into that sort of thing since it just simply isn't compatible with my personality and values so please don't suggest anything like saying those special pickup lines to her.)
How else will people meet if not in random public places... Don't be shy, we don't bite lol... unless you ask nicely... jus kidding!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships