Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 12:38 PM

3,337 posts, read 7,123,644 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post

If you feel that way your wife shouldn’t work at all. Really, how egotistical is that, honey its ok if you work but don’t make more money than me because Im the chief, the commander in charge and how would that look to other men if my woman made more money than I. But its ok for her to work perhaps part time (because she’s still chief cook and bottle washer, right) at some low paying grunt job to earn just enough to buy her purty things.

Sounds like you and the ppl you know (apparently, most of the women that earn more than their husbands) are very insecure and petty. I know many women including myself that make more money than their SO and have never and would not be so petty as to use it as a weapon. A relationship is not a competition, it is a partnership and if this is the way a person feels their relationship is doomed from the get go.
As stated before, I'm old-fashioned in some instances. Growing up, my father made twice as much as my mom (although my mom and dad had similar education-both parents had grad degrees) and always stressed the importance of a man being the leader of his household, which includes making the most dough. That's a view that I'll most likely hold for the rest of my life and I make no apologies for it If my wife should make more than me, obviously there's nothing I can do about that and would have to get used to it....If everything else is on point in our relationship, then something as minor as finances is simply something I'll have to deal with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2010, 12:40 PM

6,548 posts, read 7,282,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
The way you feel is perfectly natural. I felt the same way when I was married, and this was a factor in why we divorced. We women don't like broke men, at least most of us don't.
I was about to say that. Women NORMALLY are not attracted to men that are from a "lower level".

Old 12-03-2010, 12:47 PM

36,541 posts, read 30,891,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomzoom3 View Post
Women out-earning their spouses is the new norm today. Women have far lower rates of unemployment and have been earning more degrees than men. It's not a terrible thing, but what is disturbing is that men are starting to become a permanent underclass who are chronically unemployed or stuck in low-wage jobs.

In about 20 years, men will be where women were 100 years ago.

Is that a bad thing?

Old 12-03-2010, 12:54 PM

2,593 posts, read 4,240,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Is that a bad thing?
It is, we as a whole are supposed to progress as a society, not regress.

We wouldn't want to see African Americans go back to their place in society 100 years ago.

Old 12-03-2010, 12:58 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,009,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KylieEve View Post
I'd be interested to know how men feel about this. I make double what my husband does. I'm not sure how he really feels about it.
Do you think he feels like 1/2 a man? If not, then he probably doesn't think twice about it.

Old 12-03-2010, 01:00 PM

Quote:
The way you feel is perfectly natural. I felt the same way when I was married, and this was a factor in why we divorced. We women don't like broke men, at least most of us don't.
Are you sure? I used to know plenty of women who would date broke men, heck, even marry them.

Old 12-03-2010, 01:01 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,203,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthsideJacksonville View Post
As stated before, I'm old-fashioned in some instances. Growing up, my father made twice as much as my mom (although my mom and dad had similar education-both parents had grad degrees) and always stressed the importance of a man being the leader of his household, which includes making the most dough. That's a view that I'll most likely hold for the rest of my life and I make no apologies for it If my wife should make more than me, obviously there's nothing I can do about that and would have to get used to it....If everything else is on point in our relationship, then something as minor as finances is simply something I'll have to deal with.
It's possible that you might be too busy having a successful relationship, raising the kids, mowing the lawn, cooking dinners, thriving in your career...aka having a life, that score keeping with/against your partner, as a means of self worth, will become meaningless.

Old 12-03-2010, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
A story from early in my marriage.

I was starting out in my career while my wife had landed a great job with a Fortune 500. At a party, I was talking to this guy, who started asking questions about our respective careers. He finally asked, "Doesn't it bother you that your wife makes more than you?" To which I replied, "No. And she also makes more than you, too." That shut him up.
Great post!

Old 12-03-2010, 01:15 PM

1,543 posts, read 2,997,481 times
Quote:
No you are right. Most women like men with money and looks. But the uglier a guy is the more money he will need to have. So yeah money wins out always with women.

Old 12-03-2010, 01:15 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,048,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
I was about to say that. Women NORMALLY are not attracted to men that are from a "lower level".
And from my experience with women, (be it my wife, past relationships, or my friends), women don't care about the money that the man has, just about the man.

As long as one of the two is making decent money, that's all that matters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships