Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 12:15 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,328,925 times

Advertisements

Since it appears that people gossip in your office, try this...

Learn the darkest secret/skeleton of every person there, then when someone brings up your marriages in front of others, reply with:

"Thank you for being concerned for my welfare, sometimes its awkward to deal with these issues. How do you deal with <insert dark secret/skeleton here>."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2008, 12:19 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,681,100 times
I knew someone who had been married several times. A female coworker, who happened to be single and never married, would makes jokes about it. In response, the other person would say "At least I got someone to marry me."

Old 12-10-2008, 12:27 PM

819 posts, read 1,598,242 times
Yeah, maybe they're wanting to be the next one. I have been married twice, first time for 3 years, 3 years single, and now I've been married to #2 for 37 years. I do not think I'd ever get married again if something should happen to my husband, but if I did it would not be anybody's business. I might would have me some "fun" now and then, but that'd be it.

I think on my husband's side they all live to be 100. So, there's probably never going to be an opportunity to have fun!!!! LOL!

Old 12-10-2008, 04:30 PM

27,443 posts, read 27,477,550 times
My old boss in Flagstaff Az was married 8 times before he actually finally found the right one.

Old 12-10-2008, 04:39 PM

2,975 posts, read 13,400,993 times
- Sampling the honey perfected me for the right one.
- Hey, at least I eventually got it right.
- Practice makes perfect.
- It was in my chart.
- Now, now, don't get jealous because I had more opportunities than you.
- 3 is my lucky number

Old 12-10-2008, 04:43 PM

542 posts, read 1,688,270 times
Well, considering I'm on my third marriage...I don't see what the big deal is. Why are people so concerned about what someone else does anyway?

Old 12-10-2008, 05:03 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,691,490 times
I don't think the comments made by the people are your office are appropriate or relevant; however, I will admit I wonder about someone who has had three or more marriages. I also wonder about someone under 25 who is divorced. I think multiple marriages CAN denote flakiness in one's personal life. (There are tons of exceptions of course like the ones duly noted by posters on this thread.) It's kind of bizarre though that someone is bringing that up at the office as if it is in any way telling about your professional life. I've met plenty of people who are quite professional who have disastrous personal lives. Who cares?

Old 12-10-2008, 05:21 PM

2,438 posts, read 7,029,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritwalker View Post
Ok . Here is something that ruffles old Spiritwalkers feathers !!!! I have been married more than once. You might say "Yeah in this day and age so what!!"
I wish that were true. It seems especially at work when someone is irritated with me or is in "gossip mode" my being married more than once suddenly comes into play. I could be tardy on a deadline issue and in addition to that being addressed the "And he's been married more than once too," is added on !! Why would that have anything to do with the issue at hand? Typically I don't dignify such ignorance. On occasion I play it off by saying "I have been married three times: One divorce ( after fifteen years/ Rookie mistakes) ,One death ( My late wife died of cancer, we were married for seven years) and this one (currently four years and by far the greatest) is a keeper. While I don't wear my "Marriage Record" on my shirt, I am not shy about my past life. Can I change the past? Why would I be, where I live and work there are no secrets....astonishing!!!! People find out things that blow my mind.
If asked I will tell the truth . Soooooooo heres what I am after. I am not always in a jovial mood to field such questions. As creative as I can be with "clever responses"I do run out of Jam. Rather than be nasty (I can do that but would rather not) can anyone male or female give me some suggestions as to what to do or say in this regard. May be venting here is all that I am doing. But then this is the place hey? Feed me my fellow thread posters.
Always grateful ,
Spiritwalker
Basically.. my response would be.. "I am not sure what that has to do with the subject at hand." I guess its their snied remark to say that you are indecisive and that is why you are late on a deadline? Set them back in their place and let them know your marriages are not really up for discussion. I wouldnt even let them know. If someone asked me if I had been married more then once.. I would ask them back.. why they were asking?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships