Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 09:28 PM

3,485 posts, read 7,320,192 times

Advertisements

Some people are just memorable...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2011, 09:32 PM

627 posts, read 1,297,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEconomist View Post
So, I go into a local trendy sandwhich shop and this really cute girl who makes the sandwhiches as you watch says hi while I am being waited on by another shop employee. She says its been a while since I saw you in here and she starts talking and smiling. She made conversation the last time I was there also which was several months ago. I just wrote it up as her being friendly because I'm a customer. This was at about 7pm on New Year's Eve. We briefly discussed our New Year's plans but there were other people around and no shot at privacy so I wished her a happy new year's and waved buy. When I did that, she was actually standing behind the girl who made my sandwhich so it was kind of awkward as I included both in the conversation.

I know she is likely a super friendly girl, but the fact that she remembered me after at least 3 months was a huge surprise. I would really like to date this girl. She seems super down to earth and friendly. I estimate she is probably 4 years younger than me, though no way to really tell for sure. She seems very mature though. Also, there is always the extremely remote possibility that she is too young which would be incredibly embarassing. I don't think this is the case though. She seems clearly in her early to mid twenties.

If I go there again at a certain time there is a good shot I will see her, but if I do, how do I ask her out? How does one pull off the ask out where there is virtually no privacy and high potential for awkwardness?
She digs you.

The next time you go there, she's going to talk to you.

Don't worry about what you're going to say. Don't ask anyone what to say, don't rehearse anything, don't think about anything.

You know what you want to do. As soon as you respond, it will just flow.

Let it.

Old 01-03-2011, 09:33 PM

6,407 posts, read 9,008,601 times
The scenario where you enter when it's slow and keep it simple and casual sounds like your best bet. Worst case she declines and you feel awkward. Hey, at least it wasn't in front of a full house and you gave it a shot. She could also say "yes" and make it all worthwhile. I would think she's at least curious about you if the can remember you after months.

Old 01-03-2011, 09:33 PM
Ep-

2,080 posts, read 4,174,633 times
Quote:
Great. Thanks for your thoughtful insight and everything.
point being just cuz she remembers you dont really have to mean anything. i worked retail for awhile when i was younger and could remember most customers even if they only came in every few months. i just have a memory like that most of the time

only way to know is to walk in and just ask her our for coffee or something. not sure what other insights ya need

Old 01-03-2011, 10:06 PM

2,754 posts, read 6,107,254 times
What ya do next time ya go in is: while she's making your sandwich say something like "Do they ever let you have a break around here?" Hopefully, she'll pick-up at that time on your true motive and then tell you when she gets a break or a lunch.
Then, just be there at that time. Lunch is better, since you could offer to take her somewhere to grab a quick bit. Maybe even toss of a funny line like, "Wanna go get a sandwich somewhere?"
Have lunch with her and then take it from there, cowboy.

Old 01-03-2011, 10:20 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,115,548 times
Default girl at sandwhich shop

Quote:
So, I go into a local trendy sandwhich shop and this really cute girl who makes the sandwhiches as you watch says hi while I am being waited on by another shop employee. She says its been a while since I saw you in here and she starts talking and smiling. She made conversation the last time I was there also which was several months ago. I just wrote it up as her being friendly because I'm a customer. This was at about 7pm on New Year's Eve. We briefly discussed our New Year's plans but there were other people around and no shot at privacy so I wished her a happy new year's and waved buy. When I did that, she was actually standing behind the girl who made my sandwhich so it was kind of awkward as I included both in the conversation.

I know she is likely a super friendly girl, but the fact that she remembered me after at least 3 months was a huge surprise. I would really like to date this girl. She seems super down to earth and friendly. I estimate she is probably 4 years younger than me, though no way to really tell for sure. She seems very mature though. Also, there is always the extremely remote possibility that she is too young which would be incredibly embarassing. I don't think this is the case though. She seems clearly in her early to mid twenties.

If I go there again at a certain time there is a good shot I will see her, but if I do, how do I ask her out? How does one pull off the ask out where there is virtually no privacy and high potential for awkwardness?
The girl at the sandwitch shop where I get sandwitches remembered me too, but i would never think of asking her out. There is always the remote possibility that you are reading too much into this. Frequent the sandwitch shop more often and see if the interest remains on her part, if it does just say "would you join me for dinner tonight"? If she turns you down just say "ok, maybe some other time". If you can't judge her age, you had better not bother to ask her out.

Old 01-03-2011, 10:30 PM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,221,665 times
Quote:
I agreed with this the first time we talked, but she then remembers me after 2 to 3 months have gone by and is also nice to me then too. I am skeptical too which is why I have asked for advice. But, most people wouldn't normally remember someone they only interacted with briefly such a long time ago.
She might just have a very good memory. Women are famous for having an elephant's memory. I remember all kinds of random **** for years on end. And I also remember people that I've only encountered once before. Maybe she noticed something about the way you looked or dressed. Or maybe it was the way you speak. Especially if her customers are the blue collar types. Remembering you after 2 or 3 months doesn't that she has a crush on you.

Don't make a big deal of her remembering you right now. That might make her uncomfortable and self conscious. You want your friendship to develop naturally. Later on, if you become a romantic couple, then bring up how touched you were that she remembered you that second time you saw her.

Old 01-03-2011, 11:05 PM

519 posts, read 1,050,911 times
Hmm, it's a tough one. Back in the days when I used to have to 'do the dance' so to speak, I could always sense when someone liked me that way.

I never missed, I had a really good understanding of it...

That being said, if you're not sure - but you're really interested I'd call the sandwich shop and ask to talk to her on the telephone.

Otherwise I'd send flowers to the shop for her - just a cute little posy - nothing over the top, with a little card.

I'd also find somewhere else to eat lunch - whether she said yes or no - wouldn't matter. It's not romantic to have a cutomer/ sandwich maker relationship as well as a budding romance.

DO NOT put the poor girl on the spot by asking her out in front of everyone - I hope you haven't already done this.

Early on a romance is a delicate thing and she's not going to want every busybody up in her business - besides, they might have a no dating customer policy.

Old 01-03-2011, 11:15 PM

6,745 posts, read 4,435,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
She might just have a very good memory. Women are famous for having an elephant's memory. I remember all kinds of random **** for years on end. And I also remember people that I've only encountered once before. Maybe she noticed something about the way you looked or dressed. Or maybe it was the way you speak. Especially if her customers are the blue collar types. Remembering you after 2 or 3 months doesn't that she has a crush on you.

Don't make a big deal of her remembering you right now. That might make her uncomfortable and self conscious. You want your friendship to develop naturally. Later on, if you become a romantic couple, then bring up how touched you were that she remembered you that second time you saw her.
I met and dated this girl that I met at the grocery store in my home town. This store had only 2 check outs. I was in there one day and saw her and my heart almost stopped. She looked nice. I may of said damn, to myself under my breath. The first time I made small talk. I went in there a few more times, mostly I didnt need anything, and would always check out in her line even if it was longer.I just wanted to see her. Not to ask her out, just to continue to make small talk to show her I was interested. Then one day I went in and went to the other check out line, on purpose. She looked over at me 3 or 4 times as she was working. Thats when I knew. I went in the next time and asked her out.

Old 01-03-2011, 11:54 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,502,218 times
Quote:

I would take a seat in the dining area (and occupy myself on my iPhone or whatever) and then when 'traffic' cleared I would get up and ask if she would like to join me for a night out. Consider visiting during non-lunch/dinner rush hours. Go in for an afternoon tea or coke and ask the question then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships