Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 07:53 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times

Advertisements

Here's the money quote:

Because ultimately, marriage is not about getting something -- it's about giving it. Strangely, men understand this more than we do. Probably because for them marriage involves sacrificing their most treasured possession -- a free-agent penis -- and for us, it's the culmination of a princess fantasy so universal, it built Disneyland.

The bottom line is that marriage is just a long-term opportunity to practice loving someone even when they don't deserve it. Because most of the time, your messy, farting, macaroni-and-cheese eating man will not be doing what you want him to. But as you give him love anyway -- because you have made up your mind to transform yourself into a person who is practicing being kind, deep, virtuous, truthful, giving, and most of all, accepting of your own dear self -- you will find that you will experience the very thing you wanted all along

Here's the deal. The author of this article is more right than wrong. Oh, sure, there are some missteps. But the woman she's talking to fits the mold of a number of single women we know. I can think of one right off the bat. When she was 26, she was young, kind of hot, and had a list of requirements longer than her arm. Every single guy who came within her purview was scrutinized and rejected because of some weird reason, like an episode of Sex In The City.

Speaking of, here's a big fat hint: If you find yourself agreeing and empathizing with the characters on Sex In The City, then you are doomed to either be lonely or chronically dissatisfied. Not only are all those women incredibly neurotic, but they're incredibly self-absorbed to boot. They shriek and obsess over clothes and shoes the way most normal woman would over the death of a child.

Back to our friend. Suddenly, she's forty, and wondering what the hell she's been doing all her life. Now, she always wanted to be married and have children, but she was disqualifying perfectly eligible guys for the stupidest reasons. Now she'll be perfectly happy if the guy has clean underwear.

Last edited by cpg35223; 02-16-2011 at 08:07 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2011, 08:04 AM

1,646 posts, read 2,373,605 times
You're a S****lut.
Hooking up with some guy in a hot tub on a rooftop is fine for the ladies of Jersey Shore -- but they're not trying to get married. You are. Which means, unfortunately, that if you're having sex outside committed relationships, you will have to stop. Why? Because past a certain age, casual sex is like recreational heroin -- it doesn't stay recreational for long.
That's due in part to this thing called oxytocin -- a bonding hormone that is released when a woman a) nurses her baby and b) has an orgasm -- that will totally mess up your casual-sex game. It's why you can be f**k-buddying with some dude who isn't even all that great and the next thing you know, you're totally strung out on him. And you have no idea how it happened. Oxytocin, that's how it happened. And since nature can't discriminate between marriage material and Charlie Sheen, you're going to have to start being way more selective than you are right now

THIS I agree 100%.

Old 02-16-2011, 08:55 AM

1,543 posts, read 2,996,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Here's the money quote:

Because ultimately, marriage is not about getting something -- it's about giving it. Strangely, men understand this more than we do. Probably because for them marriage involves sacrificing their most treasured possession -- a free-agent penis -- and for us, it's the culmination of a princess fantasy so universal, it built Disneyland.

The bottom line is that marriage is just a long-term opportunity to practice loving someone even when they don't deserve it. Because most of the time, your messy, farting, macaroni-and-cheese eating man will not be doing what you want him to. But as you give him love anyway -- because you have made up your mind to transform yourself into a person who is practicing being kind, deep, virtuous, truthful, giving, and most of all, accepting of your own dear self -- you will find that you will experience the very thing you wanted all along

Here's the deal. The author of this article is more right than wrong. Oh, sure, there are some missteps. But the woman she's talking to fits the mold of a number of single women we know. I can think of one right off the bat. When she was 26, she was young, kind of hot, and had a list of requirements longer than her arm. Every single guy who came within her purview was scrutinized and rejected because of some weird reason, like an episode of Sex In The City.

Speaking of, here's a big fat hint: If you find yourself agreeing and empathizing with the characters on Sex In The City, then you are doomed to either be lonely or chronically dissatisfied. Not only are all those women incredibly neurotic, but they're incredibly self-absorbed to boot. They shriek and obsess over clothes and shoes the way most normal woman would over the death of a child.

Back to our friend. Suddenly, she's forty, and wondering what the hell she's been doing all her life. Now, she always wanted to be married and have children, but she was disqualifying perfectly eligible guys for the stupidest reasons. Now she'll be perfectly happy if the guy has clean underwear.
Is your friend still single? I'd like to hit her up.

Old 02-16-2011, 09:16 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d-boy-80 View Post
Is your friend still single? I'd like to hit her up.
Trust me. You just don't want to go there. And she's more my wife's friend than mine. I've observed how she's treated too many people over the years to really want her as my friend.

Old 02-16-2011, 09:20 AM

1,543 posts, read 2,996,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Trust me. You just don't want to go there. And she's more my wife's friend than mine. I've observed how she's treated too many people over the years to really want her as my friend.
Is she still good looking? Because that would make it alright.

Old 02-16-2011, 12:29 PM

951 posts, read 1,811,244 times
Good find! Men of character who keep the faith as they work hard to further better themselves, get into their 30s and find a cadre of available women who can be quite bitter and nasty. They've been played by the attractive (for whatever superficial reason) men for the past 15 years and now consider that their experiences apply to all men.

Then the man of character, witnesses the love fest when they encounter one of these attractive men who is back on the market. This explains why players can get married 3, 4 or even 5 times by age 35 while the guys with character are largely opting out and staying single.

As a result, when a man over 35 encounters a friendly woman, he is immediately on his guard. Often, it is a woman who deserately needs his support due to having 3 kids or a debilitating and ultimately fatal disease or mental issues that she can cover up for a period of time.

Last edited by WhyShouldIWorry; 02-16-2011 at 12:39 PM..

Old 02-16-2011, 12:37 PM

951 posts, read 1,811,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
Female anger terrifies weak, spineless men who can't own up to the fact that they've done something offensive.
Just being a single man is offensive to these women.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
I know it seems unfair that you have to work around a man's fear and insecurity in order to get married to a weak, spineless man -- but actually, it's perfect, since working around a man's fear and insecurity is big part of what you'll be doing as a wife if you marry a weak, spineless man.
Strong or "spinless", men who overlook these issues, end up in the same divorce court.

Old 02-16-2011, 12:37 PM

5,460 posts, read 7,761,278 times
You're right on here man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyShouldIWorry View Post
Good find! Men of character who keep the faith as they work hard to further better themselves, get into their 30s and find a cadre of available women who can be quite bitter and nasty. They've been played by the attractive (for whatever superficial reason) men for the past 15 years and now consider hatr their experiences apply to all men.

Then the man of character, witnesses the love fest when they encounter one of these attractive men who is back on the market. This explains why players can get married 3, 4 or even 5 times by age 35 while the guys with character are largely opting out and staying single.

As a result, when a man over 35 encounters a friendly woman, he is immediately on his guard. Often, it is a woman who deserately needs his support due to having 3 kids or a debilitating and ultimately fatal disease or mental issues that she can cover up for a period of time.

Old 02-16-2011, 02:04 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,925,220 times
That was more right than wrong, then again I'm a male.

I'm going to send the article to some females I know as required reading.

Old 02-16-2011, 02:37 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,692,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyShouldIWorry View Post
Good find! Men of character who keep the faith as they work hard to further better themselves, get into their 30s and find a cadre of available women who can be quite bitter and nasty. They've been played by the attractive (for whatever superficial reason) men for the past 15 years and now consider that their experiences apply to all men.

well **** that's a bleak outlook
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships