Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2011, 04:29 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,189,782 times

Advertisements

Today is April 12 - National Look Up to the Sky Day!

This could be taken several ways. The sky's the limit or maybe just becareful of what is falling down on you - like droppings from low flying birds.

I remember driving on the freeway in my convertible and all of a sudden pigeon poop decended on my passenger side. Luckily no one was sitting there.

Many, many years ago I was walking on the sidewalk to the enterance to the library and at the time the snow was melting from the trees. I felt droplets of water from it - no big deal. Until someone said, "EWWWE What is that in the back of your hair?" Turned out it wasn't melting snow - but pigeon poop.

So, look to the sky, just becareful about what's looking back at you!

Last edited by Thursday007; 04-12-2011 at 05:26 AM..

Old 04-12-2011, 06:16 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,170,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
like droppings from low flying birds
What an inspiring way to start the day!

Old 04-12-2011, 07:06 AM

12,940 posts, read 21,624,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by temptation001 View Post
Buddha is an idol. I don't worship idols. Or listen to what they say.

Wow.

OK - didn't mean to step on any toes here...

So, about that money that you lust after...

Old 04-12-2011, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Today is April 12 - National Look Up to the Sky Day!
'Scuse me while I kiss the sky...

Old 04-12-2011, 07:13 AM

18,270 posts, read 14,433,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post

Wow.

OK - didn't mean to step on any toes here...

So, about that money that you lust after...

Haha. I didn't mean to scare you.

About the money.....it's just...a.. means to an end...ya know? Buddha is a fat little short guy who people worship as a God. Back in the days, people used to worship statues made of gold and call them God. Buddha is the same thing. If you believe anything the bible says, this is bad. God doesn't like the people worshipping idols.

Old 04-12-2011, 07:20 AM

Quote:

About the money.....it's just...a.. means to an end...ya know? Buddha is a fat little short guy who people worship as a God. Back in the days, people used to worship statues made of gold and call them God. Buddha is the same thing. If you believe anything the bible says, this is bad. God doesn't like the people worshipping idols.
In case you missed the first viewing....Phil is the Buddha

Old 04-12-2011, 07:26 AM

Quote:
In case you missed the first viewing....Phil is the Buddha

Logically speaking, if Phil is Buddha, and not some statue, then that would mean that Buddha is an actual person who believes they are God. So Phil would be Lucifer.

Old 04-12-2011, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Logically speaking, if Phil is Buddha, and not some statue, then that would mean that Buddha is an actual person who believes they are God. So Phil would be Lucifer.
I think that was established in Relationship Chat Thread #14.

Old 04-12-2011, 07:39 AM

Quote:
OK, well, you DID scare me! That's a TERRIBLE thing to do so early in the morning! Shame on you!

Quote:
About the money.....it's just...a.. means to an end...ya know?
Ahhh...rationalization. OK.

Quote:
Buddha is a fat little short guy who people worship as a God. Back in the days, people used to worship statues made of gold and call them God. Buddha is the same thing. If you believe anything the bible says, this is bad. God doesn't like the people worshipping idols.
Actually the term Buddha means "Enlightened One" and applies to many, many individuals. Gautama was/is the main character in this life philosophy, but they are not worshiped as gods or idols, at least not when the true spirit of the philosophy is followed. That's why the classic answer to the question "What do you do if you meet the Buddha on the road?" is: "Kill him". In other words, divorce yourself from attachments, idols, worshiping, religion, etc.

Become enlightened.

But like any other religion/belief it can and has been corrupted.

As a point of trivia - he wasn't really fat - that would be Hotei, one of the seven lucky Japanese gods, serving more as focal points for meditation and motivation than worshiped as idols.

So here's my question, without getting too in-depth so that this gets deleted or moved to Religion - what kind of God is so insecure that he has to ban worshiping idols? Didn't He create Man with freedom of choice? Isn't that sort of a bait-and-switch tactic? Or worse, a threat - just one of many that can be found in most organized religions?

Old 04-12-2011, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
OK, well, you DID scare me! That's a TERRIBLE thing to do so early in the morning! Shame on you!

Ahhh...rationalization. OK.

Actually the term Buddha means "Enlightened One" and applies to many, many individuals. Gautama was/is the main character in this life philosophy, but they are not worshiped as gods or idols, at least not when the true spirit of the philosophy is followed. That's why the classic answer to the question "What do you do if you meet the Buddha on the road?" is: "Kill him". In other words, divorce yourself from attachments, idols, worshiping, religion, etc.

Become enlightened.

But like any other religion/belief it can and has been corrupted.

As a point of trivia - he wasn't really fat - that would be Hotei, one of the seven lucky Japanese gods, serving more as focal points for meditation and motivation than worshiped as idols.

So here's my question, without getting too in-depth so that this gets deleted or moved to Religion - what kind of God is so insecure that he has to ban worshiping idols? Didn't He create Man with freedom of choice? Isn't that sort of a bait-and-switch tactic? Or worse, a threat - just one of many that can be found in most organized religions?

From my understanding of the bible, I would say that the God of the bible is both a loving God and a God that doesn't accept anyone, not even an idol, to be compared to him. He wants and expects loyalty. Not everyone can offer him loyalty since it is a virtue. He did make everyone so that they would be able to choose for themselves if their loyalty will be with him or with themselves, or with any other "god", including loyalty to the fallen angel Lucifer who decided he could be a God too. Many people say that God is stern and has faults. I disagree. Think of God as a warrior and defender of his people, who is no fool and is not a namby pamby sort of God. After all, he is a God, not a character in Care Bears.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships