Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you GENERALLY approve of cohabitation before marriage?
Yes, it's totally acceptable any time 37 57.81%
Yes, but it's not the best way of going about things 7 10.94%
During engagement, yes 7 10.94%
No! 13 20.31%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 08:43 AM

2,618 posts, read 6,178,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Vote in the poll.

I voted "No!" Personally, I think it's gravely immoral because of my Catholic religious beliefs. Around 98% - 99% of couples who are cohabitating are also fornicating. Of course, you can make the argument that the vast majority of unmarried couples cohabitate, but living together turns that into a virtual certainty.

Additionally, couples who cohabitate before marriage have been shown by many surveys to have a significantly higher divorce rates than those that do not shack up. This could be a result of the (potentially) higher religious devotion of couples who do not cohabitate. Another theory I have is that partners who cohabitate are known to live with several partners in a serial fashion. For example, a normal cohabitating individual will live with his girlfriend for two years, break up, take on another girlfriend, move in with her, live with her for a year, then get in a fight with her and break-up, find another girlfriend and move in with her, and so on. This, in my mind, is perfect training for divorce.
When people like you come along, I always ask myself this question:

Which is worse?

Marrying someone, realizing that they are not a good fit for you, doing everything you can to improve the marriage, and then getting divorced after no improvement?

or

Staying married to someone you are miserable with for the rest of your life.

....I find the latter to be much more dreadful. However, I'm not going to get married until I know for sure that this person is someone I can absolutely spend the rest of my life with, and according to your statistical study logic if I wait until I'm 30 to get married then I cut my chances of divorce in half.

There's much more evidence out there supporting the argument for getting married at a young age as a factor in the divorce rate than their is whether people shack up or have catholic beliefs.

Old 03-03-2011, 08:54 AM

4,098 posts, read 7,126,261 times
I voted NO. I believe our morals have decayed beyond reason, and that is the master plan to put an end to the family unit. Once that happens we may all be living like animals...

Old 03-03-2011, 09:10 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,360,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite Ryder View Post
that is the master plan to put an end to the family unit. Once that happens we may all be living like animals...
I think that's been already pretty much accomplished. With the active participation of the sheeple, too!

Old 03-03-2011, 09:11 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,533,751 times
1-In todays economy more and more people are going to share a household. It's called reality!
2-As soon as ALL religions start practicing what they preach from a moral standpoint, maybe more people will heed the teachings.
3-Again, reality check here Bubba! If you think I could live with--oh, I dont know--Stressedcollegegirl--and keep my hands to myself, you're out of your damned mind!

Old 03-03-2011, 09:18 AM

9,057 posts, read 20,476,895 times
You can be pissed off all you want to, but the bottom line is......Christians and other religions have their beliefs that shouldn't be knocked by others! You have your opinion and they have theirs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerpokerpoker View Post
If you don't live togheter before and wait til marriage to do that and wait until marriage to have sex... What if the woman has a non-existant sex drive? That can't be worked out, thats it, you'll have to take out a divorce asap and waste tons of money on that and give half of your earnings to her(and vice versa).

I couldn't be with a woman who has that strong religious beliefs, sex is important and christian women who wants to wait till marriage probably tends to be the kind of women who are pretty much asexual or super conservative about it.

And Lol at "gravely immoral"... tons of couples move in togheter before marriage and it works out just fine. It always pisses me off when hardcore christians like you think they are the ones to decide whats right and wrong.

Old 03-03-2011, 09:32 AM

10,219 posts, read 17,986,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
You can be pissed off all you want to, but the bottom line is......Christians and other religions have their beliefs that shouldn't be knocked by others! You have your opinion and they have theirs.
The problem is, too many Christians impose their beliefs on others. I don't believe it's "wrong" for anyone else to wait until marriage to cohabit but many (not all) Christians DO believe it's wrong for me to have lived with my husband before I married him. I'd be more inclined to believe you when you say "You have your opinion and they have yours" if their opinions didn't impose on mine. So who is knocking whose beliefs again?

Old 03-03-2011, 09:38 AM

455 posts, read 1,502,143 times
I'm an Atheist, raised as a Methodist.
I strongly believe in cohabitation.
I don't personally believe in marriage.

I have no plans on getting married or having children. I do intend on having a long-term committed relationship though. My view on marriage is risk oriented, rather than one of theism. The current state of anti-male bias when a divorce takes place is beyond what I'm willing to risk. Having to pay alimony or any other form of spousal support is unacceptable in the day-in-age where both partners in a relationship are working. My view on children is simply one for lack of desire... I'm currently trying to convince my doctor that I should have a vasectomy so I don't have any surprises down the road... even though I'm relatively young (27).

Old 03-03-2011, 09:50 AM

6,548 posts, read 7,302,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stressedCollegeGirl89 View Post
If couples are going to live together, it wouldn't be such a bad idea for them to get to really know their SOs and know exactly where they both stand in the relationship before they move in together.
Which makes me wonder how did couples "back in the day" managed to have successful marriages WITHOUT living together.

Old 03-03-2011, 09:52 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,360,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
Which makes me wonder how did couples "back in the day" managed to have successful marriages WITHOUT living together.
They weren't waiting for the new model to show up on the market next year.

Old 03-03-2011, 09:54 AM

9,057 posts, read 20,476,895 times
Ok, I have lived with women, but in the early stages of living with them......we got engaged. I've only lived with three ladies and, yes, I got engaged all three times. I'm a very firm believer in marriage, NOT living together for years upon years! I lived with my wife for a year before we got married, but I had already ask her to marry me before I moved in. Two weeks after I moved in, she was wearing an engagement ring! Living together was fine, but we were BOTH "marriage minded" and knew that setting things up for a wedding was going to happen.
I think the major problem of living together is: unless both agree not to marry, one ends up wanting to marry and the other keeps putting it off! A dude can give his girlfriend an engagement ring, but no wedding date gets actually set and that ends up in a hassle. He's ok with her wearing the ring, but can be terrified of actual marriage. Or, a wedding date gets set and nothing happens from there. In other words, the promises of an engagement ring or even a wedding "go by the wayside" way too many times with men. AND some ladies just keep "sticking in there" hoping while others give an ultimatum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships