Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 05:31 PM

1,723 posts, read 4,106,636 times

Advertisements

They own 2 houses? They should sell the other one or at least rent it out.

Old 03-11-2011, 05:35 PM

37,738 posts, read 46,213,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
I would most likely ask to move back in with my parents. For the record, my parents won't be homeless if they lose their house. My dad owns another home that they would move to. It just happens to pale in comparison to their current home, which is why my mom doesn't want to move there. Also, if I were to buy my own house, they would always be welcome to live with me if they needed to. I just don't want to go back to living with them in THEIR house.

Moving into a cheaper place isn't really an option for me. As for them getting a boarder, I'm sure they don't want a stranger in the house, and I doubt they could charge as much money as they need for someone just renting out a room.
There you go. THAT's your answer. You sound incredibly whiney and selfish. You lived at home until you were almost 30?? And your parents put you through college???? And now you question whether or not you "owe" them? Really???

Moving in with them might not be the next course of action, but certainly getting them to a financial counselor IS. And you need to be there as well. Your parents took care of you, and would still do so to this day. Put on your big-girl panties and help your family through this. Jeez...they have TWO homes...it can't be THAT hard to figure out.

Old 03-11-2011, 05:52 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,656,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Moving in with them might not be the next course of action, but certainly getting them to a financial counselor IS.
Once again, I can't force them to seek financial help if they don't want it. My dad doesn't talk to me about his financial situation anyway and my mom feels like me moving back home is the only answer. She doesn't want to hear any other suggestions that I might have about how they can help themselves. She's an extremely difficult person to talk to. She won't let me get a word in edgewise about anything. Although she might need me financially, she still views me as a kid. You simply CANNOT reason with her.

Old 03-11-2011, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
Once again, I can't force them to seek financial help if they don't want it. My dad doesn't talk to me about his financial situation anyway and my mom feels like me moving back home is the only answer. She doesn't want to hear any other suggestions that I might have about how they can help themselves. She's an extremely difficult person to talk to. She won't let me get a word in edgewise about anything. Although she might need me financially, she still views me as a kid. You simply CANNOT reason with her.
Of course you can. Go over there, sit them BOTH down, and tell them that IF their financial well-being requires you to move in with them, that you will do so, as a last resort only. If a financial counselor works with them and finds that that is the only way that they can make it, then you'll do it. I guarantee they'll either start figuring out things on their own, or they'll agree to some help. Either way, you've done what is needed.

Old 03-11-2011, 06:07 PM

932 posts, read 1,180,588 times
Don't do it. It's not your fault that your parents cannot be responsible. What are you supposed to do, stay with them forever, forsaking your own life? What if you had children or a partner who wasn't cool with it? Sorry, but you don't have kids just to depend on them later in life.

Old 03-11-2011, 06:11 PM

3,485 posts, read 7,324,602 times
If they lose the home, you lose your inheritance. And your parents will be homeless and will still need your support. If you only paid for utilities all the time that you were mooching off them, you still owe them a whole CRAPLOAD in back rent. Don't be an ingrate! Where do you think your "savings" came from? Years and years of not having to pay a full rental price and full cost of living, that's what.

I'd force them to cut down all unnecessary expenses if they expect you to move back and help out. Only if it is truly, truly hopeless and they will for sure lose the house would it make no sense to move back in. But like I said, you are probably still gonna have to help them if they have no income.

You can also tell them to get a renter instead of having YOU move in.

Last edited by miyu; 03-11-2011 at 06:21 PM..

Old 03-11-2011, 06:15 PM

3,488 posts, read 8,233,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
There you go. THAT's your answer. You sound incredibly whiney and selfish. You lived at home until you were almost 30?? And your parents put you through college???? And now you question whether or not you "owe" them? Really???
Just because you have kids and pay for stuff for them does NOT mean that the child 'owes' the parent!

The way I read the posts by the OP it was her MOM who didn't want him/her to move out and got upset every time the subject was raised. This seems like it could be just another ploy to get the OP back in the house. Especially given the fact that the parents clearly have options that they are choosing not to take.

OP I don't think you sound whiney and selfish at all. You just sound like someone with a predicament who is asking advice. Completely fair and what these boards are here for.

Old 03-11-2011, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobokenkitchen View Post
Just because you have kids and pay for stuff for them does NOT mean that the child 'owes' the parent!

The way I read the posts by the OP it was her MOM who didn't want him/her to move out and got upset every time the subject was raised. This seems like it could be just another ploy to get the OP back in the house. Especially given the fact that the parents clearly have options that they are choosing not to take.

OP I don't think you sound whiney and selfish at all. You just sound like someone with a predicament who is asking advice. Completely fair and what these boards are here for.
Her parents supported her until she was 30, and you don't think she should lift one finger to try and help?

You must not have read the same post I did.

Old 03-11-2011, 06:22 PM

28 posts, read 50,196 times
I agree with Cheesiemom. I think children should show appreciation for the parents raising them, but I'm simply stating MY opinion. Life is about opinions, and we're simply offering advice from our own standpoint.

At the least, she should reach some accommodation. That is not so taxing.

Old 03-11-2011, 06:27 PM

932 posts, read 1,180,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1reignssupreme View Post
I agree with Cheesiemom. I think children should show appreciation for the parents raising them, but I'm simply stating MY opinion. Life is about opinions, and we're simply offering advice from our own standpoint.

At the least, she should reach some accommodation. That is not so taxing.
Why should the adult child live their own lives paying for their parents' mistakes? It's just wrong to me. If I ever have children, I will tell them to live their own lives and I would never ask them for help, if they had to sacrifice their own futures.

You have childen to make it on their own and to become independent, responsible adults, not to move back in with you at age 30, because you can't pay the bills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships