Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2011, 08:38 PM

6,041 posts, read 11,469,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgianbelle View Post
Maybe but those are not people I would choose to hang around. Neither are people who think their parents owe them something once they get 18 just because they are their parents.
So if parents don't owe their kids anything past 18, why should kids owe their parents a visit after 18?

Old 04-30-2011, 08:50 PM

4,721 posts, read 5,311,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
So if parents don't owe their kids anything past 18, why should kids owe their parents a visit after 18?

Your parents took care of you, gave you a place to live, fed you, loved you...etc. etc. You should visit them because of those things, if for no other reason. Once you get 18 it is time to do things for yourself. If your parents choose to still help you, it is their choice. If they expect you to do for yourself, then, you will have to. Sitting around whining about what they should be doing for you will get you absolutely nothing.

Old 04-30-2011, 09:15 PM

6,041 posts, read 11,469,840 times
Quote:
Your parents took care of you, gave you a place to live, fed you, loved you...etc. etc. You should visit them because of those things, if for no other reason. Once you get 18 it is time to do things for yourself. If your parents choose to still help you, it is their choice. If they expect you to do for yourself, then, you will have to. Sitting around whining about what they should be doing for you will get you absolutely nothing.
I'm thankful that my parents choose to support me past 18.

Recently, my mom said if they wanted to, they could kick me to the curb when I turned 18. I don't understand why she said that out of the blue

And today my dad said I should learn the value of a dollar. But he also said my job is to get good grades, so apparently he doesn't want me to work (since he basically said school is my "job")

As for visiting parents, I might be staying with them for an "extended visit" when I graduate

Or as my mom said when my aunt moved back in with my grandparents: She's doing more than visiting

Old 04-30-2011, 09:45 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,690,230 times
Same, I'm very grateful that they still support me. Heck, they support paying for me to take summer courses (to get ahead/lighten my semester loads) instead of working some other crappy retail job. Although hopefully next summer I'll have an internship lined up.

Old 04-30-2011, 10:00 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,690,230 times
Ugh the people in the condo next to ours are throwing some sort of party and it's loud as hell. We're both on the top floor and as such we both have outdoor deck/balcony areas, and as such all their noise travels in to my room -_-

Old 05-01-2011, 12:39 AM

52,249 posts, read 52,655,546 times
Quote:
Because he is his dad. You are not young enough that you would not know this answer. Your parents are your parents even when they irritate you; most people don't just write them off because they are in their 40s. People do many things they don't want to out of obligation, duty, or just habit.
Thank you............................................... ............

Old 05-01-2011, 12:57 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,771,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Thank you............................................... ............
Chow I understand where you are coming from. Your parents will always be your parents. They may drive you nucking futs sometimes, that doesn't change the facts. Even after you have become an adult and contributing member of society you can still learn things from them even though their job is complete by defination of some around here.

Old 05-01-2011, 02:42 AM

6,143 posts, read 7,554,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
I'm thankful that my parents choose to support me past 18.

Recently, my mom said if they wanted to, they could kick me to the curb when I turned 18. I don't understand why she said that out of the blue

And today my dad said I should learn the value of a dollar. But he also said my job is to get good grades, so apparently he doesn't want me to work (since he basically said school is my "job")

As for visiting parents, I might be staying with them for an "extended visit" when I graduate

Or as my mom said when my aunt moved back in with my grandparents: She's doing more than visiting
Perhaps your mom is tired of your ungrateful attitude. You are technically an adult. Your parents owe you nothing more. You should be thankful for what they choose to do for you instead of whining here that they don't do
more.

Old 05-01-2011, 05:45 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,693,566 times
Dogwalker, I didn't want to hijack the wedding vow thread, but I saw that you are a fan of Laura Ingalls Wilder. (I am too.) Have you been to DeSmet, South Dakota? There is a landmark there and a Little House festival.

Old 05-01-2011, 06:50 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,176,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogwalker425 View Post
Perhaps your mom is tired of your ungrateful attitude. You are technically an adult. Your parents owe you nothing more. You should be thankful for what they choose to do for you instead of whining here that they don't do
more.
Is it a recent trend where boys don't want to grow up and leave home or has this been around forever ?

I just had to throw my 26 YO nephew out his grandmothers (my mom) house. The kid (man) has no job, no money, no ambition. I guess he's had too much handed to him free over the years and never learned to work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships