Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2011, 07:15 AM

6,143 posts, read 7,570,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Dogwalker, I didn't want to hijack the wedding vow thread, but I saw that you are a fan of Laura Ingalls Wilder. (I am too.) Have you been to DeSmet, South Dakota? There is a landmark there and a Little House festival.
Not yet but it is on my list! I have passed the interstate exit for it many times on my trips across SD, but I have always been on a schedule with no time to stop. I saw Little House The Musical (with Melissa Gilbert) last year from the front row. Yeah, I'm a geek.

Old 05-01-2011, 07:19 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,715,045 times
i hate how the only woman i ever wake up to is some digital representation on my computer screen -_-

Old 05-01-2011, 07:22 AM

6,143 posts, read 7,570,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Is it a recent trend where boys don't want to grow up and leave home or has this been around forever ?

I just had to throw my 26 YO nephew out his grandmothers (my mom) house. The kid (man) has no job, no money, no ambition. I guess he's had too much handed to him free over the years and never learned to work.
I don't know, but it's pretty sad. I'm 29 and don't know of any guys my age who did this, so I'm assuming it's a somewhat recent thing. It goes hand in hand with the entitlement epidemic that seems to be occurring in kids these days (wow, do I sound old or what?!). It irritates me to see and hear young adults **** and moan that their parents aren't doing more for them. Have some respect and treat your parents the way they deserve to be treated! Your time with them is limited and will come to an end one day, after all.

Old 05-01-2011, 07:27 AM

27,955 posts, read 39,864,811 times
Quote:
Is it a recent trend where boys don't want to grow up and leave home or has this been around forever ?

I just had to throw my 26 YO nephew out his grandmothers (my mom) house. The kid (man) has no job, no money, no ambition. I guess he's had too much handed to him free over the years and never learned to work.
I don't know. I bought my house when I was turning 24. I was opening and running business at 25. I was early 30s when I divorced. When I was 22 I was handling closing for a bigger retail store.

I paid my own way through school and bought my own vehicles.

Good to see you Rakin. Hope you are doing well.

Old 05-01-2011, 07:35 AM

4,721 posts, read 5,323,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogwalker425 View Post
Perhaps your mom is tired of your ungrateful attitude. You are technically an adult. Your parents owe you nothing more. You should be thankful for what they choose to do for you instead of whining here that they don't do
more.

Look at his status, and that will give you a clue. Also, all of his posts point to his refusal to be an adult. City, you are probably a nice young man, but you do need to start becoming more responsible for yourself. As a young woman, I find a man that acts like a man, not a boy, very attractive. I don't want to be anyone's mom, so I don't date boys. Even in college if a guy was not at least attempting to take care of himself, he wasn't bf material to me. Spoiled little boys can't find women to date, because they need to grow up.

Old 05-01-2011, 07:42 AM

6,041 posts, read 11,487,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
Same, I'm very grateful that they still support me. Heck, they support paying for me to take summer courses (to get ahead/lighten my semester loads) instead of working some other crappy retail job. Although hopefully next summer I'll have an internship lined up.
I'm taking summer classes too. I want to graduate a semester early so I at least have the potential to start working full time, hopefully in my career field (if anyone is willing to hire me). The sooner I get a decent paying job, the sooner I can stop depending on my parents. I'm making effort to get to that point someday.

But I should have some free time this summer, so I applied to a part time job that I thought I was a shoe in for, but they haven't contacted me for an interview

Oh well, I tried. If they don't want to hire me, there's not much I can do about that.

If I remember correctly, you worked at a grocery store last summer and hated it.

You're lucky to be in DC because there are a lot of good internships around there. I'd like to get an internship but it's slim pickings for me. I think internships are overrated anyway. Can they help? Sure. But there's no way for everyone to get an internship. And I heard some internships are just unpaid glorified janitor/secretary jobs

Old 05-01-2011, 07:44 AM

40,977 posts, read 49,331,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
I don't know. I bought my house when I was turning 24. I was opening and running business at 25. I was early 30s when I divorced. When I was 22 I was handling closing for a bigger retail store.

I paid my own way through school and bought my own vehicles.

Good to see you Rakin. Hope you are doing well.
Hopefully it's still a unique thing and is not becoming more predominate with todays boys.

Thanks, life is good and with my new single status it's amazing how much less stress and work is in my life. I'm in that state of limbo, not divorced but separated. Did you have trouble meeting women who would date you when you were in that state of in-between ?

Old 05-01-2011, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogwalker425 View Post
I don't know, but it's pretty sad. I'm 29 and don't know of any guys my age who did this, so I'm assuming it's a somewhat recent thing. It goes hand in hand with the entitlement epidemic that seems to be occurring in kids these days (wow, do I sound old or what?!). It irritates me to see and hear young adults **** and moan that their parents aren't doing more for them. Have some respect and treat your parents the way they deserve to be treated! Your time with them is limited and will come to an end one day, after all.
I can't believe this post was written by someone that hasn't even hit 30 yet. You're right when you said you sound old.

By the way, I know someone your age that depends on his parents just as much as I do.

Old 05-01-2011, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgianbelle View Post
Look at his status, and that will give you a clue. Also, all of his posts point to his refusal to be an adult. City, you are probably a nice young man, but you do need to start becoming more responsible for yourself. As a young woman, I find a man that acts like a man, not a boy, very attractive. I don't want to be anyone's mom, so I don't date boys. Even in college if a guy was not at least attempting to take care of himself, he wasn't bf material to me. Spoiled little boys can't find women to date, because they need to grow up.
Haha, my status is from this video

YouTube - Simple Plan - Grow Up ( MTV Hard Rock Live 2003)

And I think you're right about the reason girls don't want me. But I don't want to date, so I don't mind.

Old 05-01-2011, 07:52 AM

27,955 posts, read 39,864,811 times
Quote:
Hopefully it's still a unique thing and is not becoming more predominate with todays boys.

Thanks, life is good and with my new single status it's amazing how much less stress and work is in my life. I'm in that state of limbo, not divorced but separated. Did you have trouble meeting women who would date you when you were in that state of in-between ?
That is good to hear. Don't rush anything. No I really didn't a whole lot of trouble. I almost had a waiting list. It didn't feel right and made some enemies in that time because of that. There were some who wouldn't tough you with a 10 foot pole... I understood that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships