Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2011, 06:07 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,676,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
No I'm not kidding. There are plenty of very nice coffee shops in Brooklyn, as well as Manhattan and other areas of NY. I'm not saying that there are no "hipster dorks" hangouts in NY either, there are plenty of them as well, but you can find a small intimate coffee shop where they serve delicious deserts and have a nice conversation. And since we are talking about guys wearing tight skin jeans, you can find them in the nice restaurants as well.
However, you made it clear that it's a "cheap and lazy" date for you, just wanted to give you my perspective.
OK, name me a few nice coffee shops in Brooklyn which don't have hipster dorks (I don't eat dessert so that part doesn't matter to me) and I'd be happy to check them out. I still doubt I'd go to one on a date to one, because I do indeed view it as a cheap and lazy choice. But I'm willing to look.

PS - no, you really don't see hipster dudes wearing tight jeans in nice restaurants. I don't know coffee shops but I do know the higher-end restaurant scene more than the average person. No men in tight jeans. They probably couldn't even get a table unless they are some type of young celebrity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2011, 06:14 PM

2,013 posts, read 3,547,809 times
Coffee dates are seriously cheap and not serious at all. Like OP said, these are probably people who would date anyone who says "yes" to them. They are not a date date. Just know what you're getting into once you agree to one.

Old 05-07-2011, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
How about coffee? That way you can gauge each other's interest in things like, say, flea-market browsing, roller skating, bike-riding, checking out a museum exhibit (and determining what sort of exhibit the other person might find "interesting"), hiking, skee ball, scrabble, bookstore browsing, etc. And then maybe arrange to do one of theset things on the second date once you get a better feel for each other's casual interests. Not to mention a "coffee date" gives a better opportunity to talk than most of these other activities. Plus you may find out you don't want to be stuck at museum or a bookstore or in the middle of a scrabble game with this person. A coffee date has an implied time limit that is manageable for determing whether a second date is in order.
To me, if a coffee date is right for you because it is so neutral, it means you date indiscriminately. I know what activities are favored by anyone I'd date well before I'd even agree to go out with them. I talk to people first, via phone/text/email, and I listen carefully enough to know a few things they like. So a guy I've talked to enough to decide I'd date, if all he can think of is coffee, it tells me he wasn't really listening to me and isn't particularly interested. He will date anyone once, after all, it's just a cup of coffee. If there's a spark, great, if not, oh well.

That's fair enough, but that isn't the way I like to do things. For instance there is a free date I will accept every time: let's have a bike ride around the park. It costs him nothing yet shows he is slightly interested in me, because he has paid attention enough to know that I love to ride.

Old 05-07-2011, 06:18 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,385,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
OK, name me a few nice coffee shops in Brooklyn which don't have hipster dorks (I don't eat dessert so that part doesn't matter to me) and I'd be happy to check them out. I still doubt I'd go to one on a date to one, because I do indeed view it as a cheap and lazy choice. But I'm willing to look.

PS - no, you really don't see hipster dudes wearing tight jeans in nice restaurants. I don't know coffee shops but I do know the higher-end restaurant scene more than the average person. No men in tight jeans. They probably couldn't even get a table unless they are some type of young celebrity.
I really enjoyed Blackbird Parlour in Williamsburg and Red Horse Cafe for example and when I was there I didn't see a lot of hipsters hanging out.
http://www.blackbirdbrooklyn.com/blackbirdphotos.html

As no, in an upscale restaurant you may not be allowed to be in jeans, but in some decent restaurants you still can.

Old 05-07-2011, 06:48 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
Quote:
To me, if a coffee date is right for you because it is so neutral, it means you date indiscriminately. I know what activities are favored by anyone I'd date well before I'd even agree to go out with them. I talk to people first, via phone/text/email, and I listen carefully enough to know a few things they like. So a guy I've talked to enough to decide I'd date, if all he can think of is coffee, it tells me he wasn't really listening to me and isn't particularly interested. He will date anyone once, after all, it's just a cup of coffee. If there's a spark, great, if not, oh well.

That's fair enough, but that isn't the way I like to do things. For instance there is a free date I will accept every time: let's have a bike ride around the park. It costs him nothing yet shows he is slightly interested in me, because he has paid attention enough to know that I love to ride.
And to me, someone who makes such huge leaps of logic to arrive at such a negative conclusion about someone they haven't even met isn't really suitable dating material.

See? I'm not indiscriminate after all.

Old 05-07-2011, 06:56 PM

Quote:
I really enjoyed Blackbird Parlour in Williamsburg and Red Horse Cafe for example and when I was there I didn't see a lot of hipsters hanging out.
Blackbird Photos

As no, in an upscale restaurant you may not be allowed to be in jeans, but in some decent restaurants you still can.
That's a restaurant with a bar, not a coffee house.. play fair!

Old 05-07-2011, 07:03 PM

Quote:
That's a restaurant with a bar, not a coffee house.. play fair!
No. It's a Cafe where coffee and dessert is the main reason why many people go there. Did you look at the menu? They hardly have any real food. You do know coffee shops come in more than one shape and form, right? Or you just don't know coffee shops, just like you stated yourself.
http://www.blackbirdbrooklyn.com/blackbirdfood.html

Quote:
I don't know coffee shops but I do know the higher-end restaurant scene more than the average person.

Old 05-07-2011, 07:30 PM

Quote:
No. It's a Cafe where coffee and dessert is the main reason why many people go there. Did you look at the menu? They hardly have any real food. You do know coffee shops come in more than one shape and form, right? Or you just don't know coffee shops, just like you stated yourself.
Blackbird Food
No it isn't.

From the About section, on their very own website:

"Blackbird is a locally owned neighborhood restaurant and bar in the heart of Williamsburg."

About Blackbird

I think I have to go with their own description of the place over yours.

Old 05-07-2011, 07:40 PM

Quote:
No it isn't.

From the About section, on their very own website:

"Blackbird is a locally owned neighborhood restaurant and bar in the heart of Williamsburg."

About Blackbird

I think I have to go with their own description of the place over yours.
Alright Onglet. However, let's not forget that quite often coffee shops also call themselves restaurants....And according to About.com they are in fact a coffee shop.
Unless all you count is Starbucks and similar type of chain coffee shops, then this whole conversation is useless.

PS: just thought that I will add a little definition of the coffee shop:

http://dictionary.reverso.net/englis.../coffee%20shop

Quote:
coffee shop (coffee shops plural ), coffee-shop A coffee shop is a kind of restaurant that sells coffee, tea, cakes, and sometimes sandwiches and light meals

Last edited by max's mama; 05-07-2011 at 08:01 PM..

Old 05-07-2011, 07:55 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,008,032 times
Quote:
Not a good point. I'm surprised Onglet, you are from NYC and still associate coffee shops with hipster dorks.
I was thinking that. Starbucks = hipster dorks??? Probably not since about 1990. I mean good heavens. I live in Pretentiousness Central (Los Angeles area) and the Starbucks by me are filled with all sorts of different people, including the elderly (the only dudes who read the Times in paper while there, LOL), kids coming in after school for a triple-whipped sugar whatever...etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships