Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2011, 02:30 PM

6,041 posts, read 11,486,518 times

Advertisements

Speaking of engagements gone wrong, that reminds me of an engagement at my college.

There was a couple at my college that got engaged. But they broke it off and the girl doesn't even go to this college anymore. And now she's married to a different guy.

Really? She didn't learn from her mistake?

You'd think an engagement gone wrong at such a young age would prevent her from jumping into a marriage with someone else so soon after. And her husband goes to this college but she doesn't anymore. And she lives too far to commute, so there's no way they live together. I don't know how they see each other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2011, 02:33 PM

2,501 posts, read 3,654,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
Speaking of engagements gone wrong, that reminds me of an engagement at my college.

There was a couple at my college that got engaged. But they broke it off and the girl doesn't even go to this college anymore. And now she's married to a different guy.

Really? She didn't learn from her mistake?
Haha what was her mistake? Being a bridezilla?

Old 06-04-2011, 02:43 PM

This thread got me thinking of a (true) story. Something that happened toward the end of high school.

I met people from my college on facebook. There was a girl from my college that added me and we talked on facebook. She said she basically raised her 6 year old brother and she couldn't wait to have kids of her own. She asked me if I wanted kids and she thought it was weird that I don't want kids.

1. We're not in a relationship, so why would she care?
2. Does she realize how to talk to people? Does she lack social skills? What type of person says something like that to someone they haven't even met in person?

Old 06-04-2011, 02:49 PM

Quote:
This thread got me thinking of a (true) story. Something that happened toward the end of high school.

I met people from my college on facebook. There was a girl from my college that added me and we talked on facebook. She said she basically raised her 6 year old brother and she couldn't wait to have kids of her own. She asked me if I wanted kids and she thought it was weird that I don't want kids.

1. We're not in a relationship, so why would she care?
2. Does she realize how to talk to people? Does she lack social skills? What type of person says something like that to someone they haven't even met in person?
1. I don't think people are weird whether they choose kids or not
2. Clearly she doesn't. I think she does. I know right?

Old 06-04-2011, 02:57 PM

2,488 posts, read 4,328,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CancerianMoonPrincess View Post
1. I don't think people are weird whether they choose kids or not
2. Clearly she doesn't. I think she does. I know right?
A Pew Research poll shows that the younger generation of Americans (those aged 18-29) are the most likely of any age to say that the trend towards more women remaining childless is a bad thing.

37% of adults of aged 18-29 say the trend is bad, while 28% of those aged 30-44 and 23% of those aged 50 and older say the same.

The Decline of Marriage And Rise of New Families - Page 6 | Pew Social & Demographic Trends

Another trend noticed by the younger generation is that they're more likely to say that larger families of 3+ kids is ideal. Pew reported that 52% of adults aged 18-29 say 3 or more children is ideal for a family, while 37% say 1 or 2 kids is best. But overall, 38% of Americans say 3 or more children is ideal, while 49% say 1 or 2 kids is best. Back in 2007, 44% of young adults said that 3+ kids is ideal, with 46% saying 0-2. Gallup reported that in the past, the younger generation usually favored smaller families or were identical to older adults on their views about family sizes.

http://pewsocialtrends.org/files/201...motherhood.pdf

Last edited by 90sman; 06-04-2011 at 03:06 PM..

Old 06-04-2011, 03:09 PM

I have a feeling a lot of young people don't fully understand just how much responsibility and money it takes to raise a kid.

I'm young but I realize how much responsibility it takes to raise kids. I think that puts me ahead of a lot of my peers. But for some reason, people give me flack for being mature and realizing I wouldn't be willing to take responsibility?

They might think it will be all fun and games now, but just wait until they become parents

If you want kids, there's nothing wrong with that. I'm just saying you should realize how much responsibility it takes. If someone wants kids but they don't realize how much responsibility it takes, there is something wrong with that.

Besides, there's a big difference between 18 and 29, yet they get lumped into the same category. A 29 year old, whether they want kids or not, probably realizes the responsibility involved. But an 18 year old might think kids will be all fun and games.

Old 06-04-2011, 03:21 PM

2,488 posts, read 4,328,216 times
Quote:
I have a feeling a lot of young people don't fully understand just how much responsibility and money it takes to raise a kid.

I'm young but I realize how much responsibility it takes to raise kids. I think that puts me ahead of a lot of my peers. But for some reason, people give me flack for being mature and realizing I wouldn't be willing to take responsibility?

They might think it will be all fun and games now, but just wait until they become parents

If you want kids, there's nothing wrong with that. I'm just saying you should realize how much responsibility it takes. If someone wants kids but they don't realize how much responsibility it takes, there is something wrong with that.

Besides, there's a big difference between 18 and 29, yet they get lumped into the same category. A 29 year old, whether they want kids or not, probably realizes the responsibility involved. But an 18 year old might think kids will be all fun and games.
Yeah, maybe. But I wonder what's caused the increase in the idealization of larger families.

I know a 22 year old, she and her husband have two children and want to have four more. Even my classmates that are teens and already have a baby want 2 or 3 more kids. So, I don't know.

Old 06-04-2011, 03:25 PM

Quote:

I know! Most younger people think that kids are all fun and games, that is, until they actually have their own and realize how much of a responsibility they are.

And like city_data91, I realize that I wouldn't be able to take on the 24/7 responsibility. So go ahead, call me selfish, immature, etc. But hey, at least it's better than bringing an unwanted child into the world and resenting him/her.

Old 06-04-2011, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
Yeah, maybe. But I wonder what's caused the increase in the idealization of larger families.

I know a 22 year old, she and her husband have two children and want to have four more. Even my classmates that are teens and already have a baby want 2 or 3 more kids. So, I don't know.
Florida must be different because I've never noticed anything like that.

My brother is 17 and he used to say he wanted 10 kids. I don't know if he still wants that many. But I know he wants kids. He said he'd like to have a lot of kids because they would have a big family when his kids got older and had kids of their own.

My mom has 5 siblings so her side of the family has a lot of people. I think that might be what influences my brother to want a lot of kids. But me and at least 2 cousins on that side of the family never want kids.

Other than my brother, I've never heard a young person say they want a lot of kids.

Old 06-04-2011, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Florida must be different because I've never noticed anything like that.

My brother is 17 and he used to say he wanted 10 kids. I don't know if he still wants that many. But I know he wants kids. He said he'd like to have a lot of kids because they would have a big family when his kids got older and had kids of their own.

My mom has 5 siblings so her side of the family has a lot of people. I think that might be what influences my brother to want a lot of kids. But me and at least 2 cousins on that side of the family never want kids.

Other than my brother, I've never heard a young person say they want a lot of kids.
Dude, no offense bit what are they trying to be, the Duggars? That's crazy.

And I've had a friend say that she wanted 6 of her own kids and she wanted to adopt 2.

I didn't say anything but I was thinking "dear God! I can't even fathom myself giving birth once!!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships