Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2011, 03:27 PM

2,657 posts, read 8,036,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
You've challenged my decision before on this forum when I said I'm never having kids. I know you're slightly younger than me and you look forward to having kids. But that doesn't mean everyone has to want what you want. I accept the fact that your goals differ from mine. Why can't you accept the fact that my goals differ from yours?
Herd instinct; assumption that everyone follows nearly the same Life Script ...

That's why, on general discussion boards like this, whenever someone talks about the decision to be childfree I prefer to point them to a board that is specific for that subject. The Childfree Life is the most moderate and active.

On a board like this, there are CF posters, but you also have to put up with the yabbutters ("yeah, but..") and those who will have no respect for your decision. The Childfree Life board also has a forum for fence sitters, so if you are of the mind that you believe yourself to be childfree but want to engage those still undecided, the discussion won't involve those who utter the loathsome "never say never". These people merely say "I'm not sure."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2011, 03:29 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,624,182 times
Hah...my SO's dad is a New Yorker. He was 21 when my SO was born.

Had two more sons with SO's mom (his first wife...they were college students and parents forced the issue when she got pregnant with SO).

Decided he didn't want anymore kids after they divorced, and married a lady who also didn't want kids. She hit her upper 30s and decided she did want kids, after all...they had a daughter (SO's dad was 50!), and subsequently split up.

Now SO's dad is dating a 27-year old who says no kids for her. Hopefully, that works out for him. I'm healthily skeptical, myself.

But so much for NYers being older parents. He's done it both ways, and he didn't want to be a parent, at all!

Old 05-30-2011, 03:37 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,188,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
That's the way it is in New York. I have a relative in New York that got married and had kids in his 40s.
It is very common in New York. I'm not saying that EVERYONE waits until their 30's and 40's to have children - but many do. I think it also depends on your social circle. Most of the people in my social circle are fairly career oriented. Marriage and children are important - but most wanted to establish themselves in their given field before they had children. My husband's college friends are all from the south - they all got married shortly after or right after college and started having children a few years later. So all of his college friends have 2-3 children while most of my friends have just had their first or don't have any children yet.

Old 05-30-2011, 03:41 PM

6,041 posts, read 11,478,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
It is very common in New York. I'm not saying that EVERYONE waits until their 30's and 40's to have children - but many do. I think it also depends on your social circle. Most of the people in my social circle are fairly career oriented. Marriage and children are important - but most wanted to establish themselves in their given field before they had children. My husband's college friends are all from the south - they all got married shortly after or right after college and started having children a few years later. So all of his college friends have 2-3 children while most of my friends have just had their first or don't have any children yet.
I think it has to do with cost of living. Since New York (the part near NYC at least) is expensive, it takes longer for people to reach a point where they can afford kids. But if you live somewhere cheap in the South, it's easier to afford kids at a younger age.

I guess that goes along with your idea that people in New York want to establish themselves in their careers/wait until they're financially stable before having kids

That being said, not everyone waits until they can afford kids, made obvious by the parents my age and younger

Old 05-30-2011, 05:38 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,611,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CancerianMoonPrincess View Post
Ok I know I messed up in my last post about entitlement attitude parents, but this time it really is relationship related. As the title says, do most guys in their 20s want kids? Even if I'm young, I'm actually certain I don't want kids. I just don't have the maternal instinct. I am by no means a childhater, but I don't want the 24/7 responsibility. Plus I don't have patience for kids under age 5. So in the next few years, will I have trouble finding a Christian man who doesn't want kids?
Nothing wrong with not wanting kids. I had a great Mom, she died when I was 20. I could never do that job......at least I knew my limitations.

Old 05-30-2011, 06:44 PM

52,308 posts, read 52,764,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
Nothing wrong with not wanting kids. I had a great Mom, she died when I was 20. I could never do that job......at least I knew my limitations.
I knew, really knew, at a really young age that I didn't want children. I remember being a kid and preferring to hang out with the adults... I didn't care for the meanness that kids seem to be.

I was also afraid to screw up the kids..... I know now that I would have been a good dad.... I don't have any real regrets about not having kids... I think that some people were just meant to not have children.. I actually don't minds kids at all. I just knew it wasn't for me, the funny thing is that I never recieved to much flack from my family about it... That kind of surprised me to be honest.

Maybe they thought I'd be a screw up as a parent... who knows

Old 05-30-2011, 06:50 PM

77 posts, read 151,935 times
I will never want kids, 22 year old male here. They would restrict the ability to live my life the way I want to without much benefit. I like my freedom just fine.

Old 05-30-2011, 06:58 PM

6,041 posts, read 11,478,574 times
It runs in my family (on my mom's side) to not want kids. I don't want kids and two of my cousins don't want kids either (both cousins are on my mom's side of the family).

Old 05-30-2011, 07:22 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,611,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I knew, really knew, at a really young age that I didn't want children. I remember being a kid and preferring to hang out with the adults... I didn't care for the meanness that kids seem to be.

I was also afraid to screw up the kids..... I know now that I would have been a good dad.... I don't have any real regrets about not having kids... I think that some people were just meant to not have children.. I actually don't minds kids at all. I just knew it wasn't for me, the funny thing is that I never recieved to much flack from my family about it... That kind of surprised me to be honest.

Maybe they thought I'd be a screw up as a parent... who knows
imo, life isnt A+B=C....

having a child, for women , used to be de rigeur...my neighbor had 3 sons nice guys, but the hubby cheats on her left and right.

Sometimes I may wish I had a kid....but I know Ive been true to my heart...and its about how you feel, not stupid society or external junk.

Old 05-30-2011, 08:24 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,062,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anberlin View Post
I kind of agree and I would add that Christians see children as a blessing from God. I don't know any Christians that do not want children, but I do know plenty that are waiting in the near future. It's interesting because I encounter with people (whether they are Christians or not) who desire to have kids, but my observation on this forum is that a lot of the members do not want kids. My best guess is that you might struggle to find a Christian man who do not want kids, but they are definitely out there.
Well I'm a non-fundamentalist Christian and childfree male. I do not see children as a blessing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships