Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 12:23 PM

2,501 posts, read 3,652,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Union Federal View Post
You're probably the first Cancer that I've ever heard doesn't want kids.

The bolded statement sounds like something that someone 19 or 20 would say. There's nothing wrong with what you want. Right now the things that are important to you will change drastically by the time you are thirty. You can't control it, it just happens
HahA ya. I know Cancer is supposed to be the mother of the zodiac, but we can also be nurturing to our friends and loved ones too. I actually have a nurturing nature, just not necesarily a maternal one. Haha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2011, 12:24 PM

1,236 posts, read 3,921,423 times
I'm 25 and do not want children at the moment. I'm not sure if I want to have them at all. I would like to have 1-2 in the far future but I really want to do some stuff for myself first. Also, do I really want to bring a child in this self-destructing world? I'm not sure yet.

Old 05-25-2011, 01:52 PM

379 posts, read 513,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CancerianMoonPrincess View Post
HahA ya. I know Cancer is supposed to be the mother of the zodiac, but we can also be nurturing to our friends and loved ones too. I actually have a nurturing nature, just not necesarily a maternal one. Haha
I know what you mean- I'm the "father" sign of the zodiac

Old 05-25-2011, 01:57 PM

2,657 posts, read 8,038,588 times
Quote:
Which is why that I'd like to move to a more singles and CF couples environment. Hopefully I can find it somewhere near the beach because my dream is to have a penthouse apartment by the ocean.
Ha. If you can find it, let us other CFs know. US law is strictly on the side of families (check the Fair Housing Act) in dictating that space cannot be set aside specifically for non-childed people unless it comprises those over the age of 55. Developers have gotten around that by making the environment of what they build very child unfriendly, but in general you aren't going to find CF housing.

Anyway, making a CF life isn't so much about keeping away from people with kids as it is an attitude in detachment and acceptance.

Despite the fact that 20% of women will pass their childbearing years without having kids, not having them is a concept that some cannot fathom. Those people will likely include your family and friends. You'll have to develop the forbearance to demand respect for your choice when those closest express unhappiness, disappointment and the opinion that you are wrong. Detachment comes when you can express, and feel, a "yeah, whatever " attitude when perfect strangers (like some in this thread) tell you that you will eventually think differently.

You should check out the moderate CF forums The Childfree Life
Some of us, unfortunately, had to find coping skills on our own (I'm in my 50s and went through my most fertile years being bingoed right 'n left without recourse to support ), but people today don't have to be alone in this.

Old 05-25-2011, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Union Federal View Post
I know what you mean- I'm the "father" sign of the zodiac
Ahh so you're a Capricorn. It's funny how the Father and the Mother of the zodiac are astrological opposites.

Old 05-25-2011, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwing View Post
Ha. If you can find it, let us other CFs know. US law is strictly on the side of families (check the Fair Housing Act) in dictating that space cannot be set aside specifically for non-childed people unless it comprises those over the age of 55. Developers have gotten around that by making the environment of what they build very child unfriendly, but in general you aren't going to find CF housing.

Anyway, making a CF life isn't so much about keeping away from people with kids as it is an attitude in detachment and acceptance.

Despite the fact that 20% of women will pass their childbearing years without having kids, not having them is a concept that some cannot fathom. Those people will likely include your family and friends. You'll have to develop the forbearance to demand respect for your choice when those closest express unhappiness, disappointment and the opinion that you are wrong. Detachment comes when you can express, and feel, a "yeah, whatever " attitude when perfect strangers (like some in this thread) tell you that you will eventually think differently.

You should check out the moderate CF forums The Childfree Life
Some of us, unfortunately, had to find coping skills on our own (I'm in my 50s and went through my most fertile years being bingoed right 'n left without recourse to support ), but people today don't have to be alone in this.
Ya ur right. I just need to not only brush off what the breeders (not true responsible parents, just people who spawned due to social pressure) say but at the same time show respect for parents and their choices (again REAL parents not breeders. There's a difference)

Old 05-25-2011, 02:09 PM

36,598 posts, read 30,939,483 times
Quote:
Ok I know I messed up in my last post about entitlement attitude parents, but this time it really is relationship related. As the title says, do most guys in their 20s want kids? Even if I'm young, I'm actually certain I don't want kids. I just don't have the maternal instinct. I am by no means a childhater, but I don't want the 24/7 responsibility. Plus I don't have patience for kids under age 5. So in the next few years, will I have trouble finding a Christian man who doesn't want kids?
I dont know why at 19 you are so obsessed with not having kids. Its as though you are looking for validation. If you dont want kids dont have any. Make sure you have a very good birth control plan. Find a dr. that will sterilize you. I really dont think its going to be a problem having a relationship in your 20's with someone that dosent want to rush into marriage and kids. Most ppl I see at that age are busy with their education/career/adventures etc. You do need to let any future husband know without a doubt your feelings and make sure he is on the same page.

Old 05-25-2011, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I dont know why at 19 you are so obsessed with not having kids. Its as though you are looking for validation. If you dont want kids dont have any. Make sure you have a very good birth control plan. Find a dr. that will sterilize you. I really dont think its going to be a problem having a relationship in your 20's with someone that dosent want to rush into marriage and kids. Most ppl I see at that age are busy with their education/career/adventures etc. You do need to let any future husband know without a doubt your feelings and make sure he is on the same page.
And that's where I am now. I'm focused on finishing my education so I can get a decent job. And while I'm doing so, I'd also like to travel too. And you're right. I'm not sure why I'm thinking about this when so young. I guess it's probably because there are some people in my age range who talk about marriage and children and I have a feeling I'll be faced with pressure.

Old 05-25-2011, 03:21 PM

5,460 posts, read 7,768,771 times
Quote:
Ok I know I messed up in my last post about entitlement attitude parents, but this time it really is relationship related. As the title says, do most guys in their 20s want kids? Even if I'm young, I'm actually certain I don't want kids. I just don't have the maternal instinct. I am by no means a childhater, but I don't want the 24/7 responsibility. Plus I don't have patience for kids under age 5. So in the next few years, will I have trouble finding a Christian man who doesn't want kids?
Sure, I would have, if I could have...although it didn't quite turn out that way I suppose, I had ideally wanted to get married no later than age 24...

Old 05-25-2011, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight2009 View Post
Sure, I would have, if I could have...although it didn't quite turn out that way I suppose, I had ideally wanted to get married no later than age 24...
How old are you now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships