Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 09:08 AM

5,987 posts, read 10,476,314 times

Advertisements

People say you'll get a girlfriend when you're not looking

I call that the swamp theory of relationships. If you go wading in the swamp, you may "get" leeches, whether you want them or not (check out the old movie "African Queen"), and you may not even notice! Check yourself daily to be sure some woman hasn't latched on, and avoid their habitats unless you want one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2011, 09:10 AM

32,115 posts, read 34,753,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfunkle524 View Post
Here's my interpretation of this saying:

"An attractive woman will get a boyfriend when she's not looking."

Said attractive women say the original line because they assume it applies to everybody (man, woman, fat, skinny, cute, ugly) and it very clearly does not.

This is based on experience of course.
This is 155,000% accurate. It's like asking Bobby Fischer how to be good at chess and him saying, "I dunno. Just follow your instincts and move the pieces where you think they should go and you'll win."

Old 06-10-2011, 09:10 AM

6,041 posts, read 11,476,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funymann View Post
not necessarily. I have met some really doosees.

They may be attractive but lack everything else.

Jessica Simpson.

Need I say more?
I'm sure some guys would date her just for bragging rights.

There are guys that would date any attractive woman. But women tend to have higher standards and they won't date a guy just because he's attractive. He has to do more to impress women. Hell, sometimes they date a guy that's not attractive if he impresses them in other ways.

Old 06-10-2011, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
I think this is what people say to their friends when they friends are overly desperate. I know I've said it to my friends in those situations. And they have usually found someone when they stop being so obviously desperate. However, my girlfriends are attractive... so take that for what it's worth.

I also don't think it was meant to be so literal. Obviously, not every single person is going to find themselves in a relationship once they stop looking. But I think there is such a thing as trying too hard. Sometimes, once you stop trying so hard, love has a way of finding you.
I used to be so preoccupied with getting a girlfriend. But then I realized I can't just "get a girlfriend." A girlfriend has to come naturally. And frankly, I'm content without a girlfriend.

It bothers me when people tell me to "get a girlfriend" as if getting a girlfriend is some easy task.

I think some women might use the saying on my OP so men will stop chasing after them.

Old 06-10-2011, 09:16 AM

32,115 posts, read 34,753,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
Hell, sometimes they date a guy that's not attractive if he impresses them in other ways.
Then that guy is attractive to them. Attractiveness is not all bound up in looks to women like it is for men. Many women won't care what a guy looks like (so long as he's not butt ugly) if he has swagger.

Old 06-10-2011, 09:16 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,717,169 times
It was true for me and my friend who became the boyfriend. We were just going to split a large rental and ended up falling for each other. He used to annoy the crap out of me in his youth but I knew he was responsible and he is not so hyper anymore. It all has been working out well.

I felt like when seeking people...it was like having the munchies and nothing hit the spot. To me it feels better when life paths cross and things work out naturally because they just fit.

Sappy but cute: As we were combining our kitchen stuff, he had a lidless skillet, and I had skilletless lid. They fit together perfectly and it made me think of that saying I have seen posted on here: "there is a lid for every pot"

Old 06-10-2011, 09:18 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,729,597 times
Quote:
I used to be so preoccupied with getting a girlfriend. But then I realized I can't just "get a girlfriend." A girlfriend has to come naturally. And frankly, I'm content without a girlfriend.
So why the heck have you decided to create yet another inane thread on a subject in which you have no interest whatsoever?

Old 06-10-2011, 09:18 AM

2,501 posts, read 3,650,364 times
Quote:

It bothers me when people tell me to "get a girlfriend" as if getting a girlfriend is some easy task.

I think some women might use the saying on my OP so men will stop chasing after them.

Yeah I know! Not all people are lucky in the dating department so we can't just get a girlfriend/boyfriend whenever we want.

Old 06-10-2011, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Then that guy is attractive to them. Attractiveness is not all bound up in looks to women like it is for men. Many women won't care what a guy looks like (so long as he's not butt ugly) if he has swagger.
You might be onto something. I hear women talk about hot guys, but a lot of times they don't want to date said hot guys.

Whereas if a man talks about hot girls, that typically means he wants them.

Old 06-10-2011, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
So why the heck have you decided to create yet another inane thread on a subject in which you have no interest whatsoever?
I have an interest in this subject. Like I said on my OP, I'd be open to the idea of dating if the right girl showed interest in me.

And I was just wondering if the saying on my OP is true, because it doesn't appear to be true based on my experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships