Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 12:12 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,339,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
It doesn't really matter to me what occupation they hold, as long as they're an active part of the community, holding a full time job and being responsible. I certainly wouldn't want to get involved with a slacker living off tax payer funds.

On the other hand, because of my past career it made sense for me to be involved with someone in the same line of work. It's high stress, high demand, and it's what I grew up with since my father was in the same field. So it was just natural for me to be with someone in that line of work. I dated guys with 'boring' jobs (accountant, teacher, etc) but it never worked out. It's hard when you go home and you're not allowed to talk to your SO about your day for legal reasons. Wound up marrying a co-worker and it was the best thing I ever did.
See, I would shy away from that. My wife worked for me at my business for several years. There were times when it felt like I never left the office.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2011, 12:36 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,057,943 times
Weird, never knew asking someone what they did for a living was so offensive. For real?

I always thought of it as an ice breaker and an integral part of getting to know someone. Inneresting... Learn something new every day.

Old 06-21-2011, 12:47 PM

1,589 posts, read 2,689,861 times
I find ambition and drive attractive. But mostly, I'm attracted to people who are positive, enthusistic, and vital.

When I was a young adult I dated a writer who was working as a dishwasher to make ends meet. Because he had all of the above-mentioned qualities, I wasn't surprised when his writing career took off.
But if you are a middle-aged dishwasher, with no aspirations for improving your life, I would presume you are lacking in one or more of of the above-mentioned traits.

Old 06-21-2011, 12:50 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,339,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boodhabunny View Post
I find ambition and drive attractive. But mostly, I'm attracted to people who are positive, enthusistic, and vital.

When I was a young adult I dated a writer who was working as a dishwasher to make ends meet. Because he had all of the above-mentioned qualities, I wasn't surprised when his writing career took off.
But if you are a middle-aged dishwasher, with no aspirations for improving your life, I would presume you are lacking in one or more of of the above-mentioned traits.
Yeah. This should be the way the world works. Having a direction in life should be what matters, not what's in your bank account. I've seen some great guys who didn't make big bucks and I've seen some rudderless trust fund babies. Guess which ones make the best life partners?

Old 06-21-2011, 01:08 PM

1,904 posts, read 2,995,729 times
There are people with a Passion that can not be adequately complemented by ANY career path.

Old 06-21-2011, 01:45 PM

14,228 posts, read 30,144,078 times
We're not all supposed to be the same and not everyone makes a pile of money. I used to have a pile of money and a man who didn't love me. Today I have a man who loves me very much and I'm poor. Honestly, I would much prefer to have a pile of money AND a man who loves me. Rich is always better than poor!

My expectations are reasonable. I want a man who supports himself and at least occasionally has enough left over for something special.

Old 06-21-2011, 03:25 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,976,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackpot View Post
I've always wondered how consultants make so much money compared too the usual 8-10 hour gig, get paid to give advice... high clientelle? Big firm with many clients? Sounds exciting!
When I was in consulting (IT and later management), the hours were farrrrrrr more than the usual 8-10 hour gig. A good week was 60 hours. I left it because there was no amount of money worth that to me.

Old 06-21-2011, 03:51 PM

31,372 posts, read 22,352,064 times
I percieve that many of the "money isn't everything" statements as coming from people in denial or people who want to rationalize their bad choices! I'm not talking about being filthy rich and I'm not talking about doing the best you can types. I'm talking lazy leaches that can't or won't provide for their own kids! I would be a fat man if I got a doughnut for every woman that I have known that went from one broke loser to the next. Just look at what is written on almost every dating site: "Looking for man, must have a Job, Car, his own house, not living with mom and dad like my Ex boyfriend". And you hear this from 40 year old woman too, it not just 20 year olds!!!Yikes. Are their just a bunch of woman out their that are bad pickers??

Old 06-21-2011, 04:05 PM

3,485 posts, read 7,332,417 times
I will admit that I care. Only the best for me! And I guarantee that the guy will get only the best from me as well. It's called having high standards.

In addition to what he does for a living, I also care about his health, looks, motivation, personality, and emotional maturity. And again, my demands come with a reciprocation clause. So don't make it into a man vs. woman type thing.

Old 06-21-2011, 04:07 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,524,593 times
I think it matters. If you're with a police officer, soldier, fireman, or someone else who has a job along those lines, you're going to be not only dating the man, but also dealing with whatever stress they have from their job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships