Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 12:21 PM

3,184 posts, read 4,845,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandavaran View Post
Absolute Stereotypical Drivel.
I think we are both closer than you think, though we're not quite on the same wavelength.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfunkle524 View Post
Women tend to be attracted to a man who is in control of his life.

A strong, confident man also has control of his life and knows where he's headed.
He puts all his career efforts toward exceeding his goals and striving to better himself in every way.
My point is that the strong man has a direction and pursues it. If you have fulfilled your goal of a calm, easy life than that is great. I mentioned several times that a man fulfills his OWN ambitions, not the ambitions of others.

Where we differ is where I believe that drive to succeed should end. I don't think it should end. Self-improvement to me is a journey, not a destination. That drive is what many women find attractive. If you are happy where you are then more power to you. A strong man pursues and often exceeds his goals. If the goal is comfortable life regardless of career status, then that is what he should pursue.

Quote:
If the man is working at McDonald's it is likely not by choice.
If it is by choice then more power to him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2011, 12:31 PM

206 posts, read 768,220 times
yes. it matters.

what someone does for a living says a lot about their values and personality. i'd want to date a doctor, for example, not necessarily because he makes a ton of money and is in a prestigious occupation but because being a doctor most likely means he has a good work ethic, shows commitment to his goals and is demonstrates that he can get what he wants. it could also mean probably enjoys helping people and lending a hand where is needed in bettering lives. those are all attractive qualities to me. and that he earns a good living doesn't hurt at all; quite the opposite infact, it shows that he knows that as a man he has to step up and provide for his family one day. and that he will do well.

Old 06-22-2011, 12:38 PM

406 posts, read 580,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariagostrey View Post
what someone does for a living says a lot about their values and personality.

Hardly. Values and personality are instilled in you from childhood. There are plenty of rich, famous, and otherwise high status people that have horrible core values and narcisisstic personalities.

Old 06-22-2011, 12:45 PM

1,083 posts, read 1,190,902 times
If you had asked me 7 years ago, I would have said "of course not!".....but after being with my ex for that time, and the last three and a half, he didn't work AT ALL...it's a bit of a sore point for me.
So yes. It does. But really only to the point that they're doing SOMETHING.
And of course, not being able to call their employer a dealer is always a plus.

Old 06-22-2011, 12:50 PM

1,543 posts, read 2,995,566 times
Quote:
yes. it matters.

what someone does for a living says a lot about their values and personality. i'd want to date a doctor, for example, not necessarily because he makes a ton of money and is in a prestigious occupation but because being a doctor most likely means he has a good work ethic, shows commitment to his goals and is demonstrates that he can get what he wants. it could also mean probably enjoys helping people and lending a hand where is needed in bettering lives. those are all attractive qualities to me. and that he earns a good living doesn't hurt at all; quite the opposite infact, it shows that he knows that as a man he has to step up and provide for his family one day. and that he will do well.
If that were the case with doctors. Than why is the profession with the highest drug abuse is being a doctor? I think most doctors value drugs and money over anything else.

Old 06-22-2011, 01:39 PM

548 posts, read 1,217,073 times
I agree that jobs/careers matter to the extent that they tell you about the person. When I met my husband, he was studying to be an aerospace engineer. I could tell that he was intelligent, hard-working, responsible, disciplined, and ambitious. And although he liked what he did and took it seriously, he did not focus all his time on work and made time for me, church, and friends/family. Those things were all important to me.

Old 06-22-2011, 05:44 PM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,158,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d-boy-80 View Post
Its a pretty simple question. Ladies, does what a man do for a living increase the odds of you dating him?

I think the idea is more that lots of women like status because they think that being attached to someone who has "high value" will make them happy. Doesn't always work out that way, so I think their opinions can change as they get older, but I don't think the idea that women like status is a generally incorrect generalization.
Yes. Especially since I have a college education. I do find that I get along better with having a boyfriend who does work that requires a cerebral effort. I really like people that enjoy thinking, creating more with their brain than doing grunt labour. But what's really important is how a man feels about his job. I'd want him to have a career that he enjoys and is passionate about. So I don't want to be with someone that is passive about his work or is lacking ambition about his life goals.

Old 06-23-2011, 12:43 PM

1,196 posts, read 1,804,543 times
Quote:
yes. it matters.

Of course being a doctor will require a lot of time and stress at the hospital and office than the average person. I've heard that doctors and med students tend to higher divorce rates. A high-flying, prestigious professional pursuit requires a lot trade-offs. A lot of successful entrepreneurs and hard-charging business people will not likely make it through the climb to success while maintaining a great personal life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by light_shimmer View Post
If you had asked me 7 years ago, I would have said "of course not!".....but after being with my ex for that time, and the last three and a half, he didn't work AT ALL...it's a bit of a sore point for me.
So yes. It does. But really only to the point that they're doing SOMETHING.
And of course, not being able to call their employer a dealer is always a plus.
The economy has changed our employment situation. What if you met someone who had a good career, but now has to work a dead-end job to make ends met and will unlikely be able to get back to that same situation.

What about the younger set who come out after working hard to get their college degrees, but are unable to find that path to success? I think the employment system has changed forever, so it'll be hard to judge the person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships