Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 08:15 AM

1,543 posts, read 3,002,395 times

Advertisements

Its a pretty simple question. Ladies, does what a man do for a living increase the odds of you dating him?

I think the idea is more that lots of women like status because they think that being attached to someone who has "high value" will make them happy. Doesn't always work out that way, so I think their opinions can change as they get older, but I don't think the idea that women like status is a generally incorrect generalization.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2011, 08:21 AM

2,788 posts, read 5,103,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d-boy-80 View Post
Its a pretty simple question. Ladies, does what a man do for a living increase the odds of you dating him?

As long as makes an honest living...But is he was working at McD's for most of his life and didn't want to better himself..And I'm talking about staying a crew member and not advancing at McD's then that would be a problem..

Old 06-21-2011, 08:27 AM

4,489 posts, read 10,968,949 times
Somewhat. Not so much WHAT he does, but the side effects of that job. Is it a profession that requires moving every couple years? Will he be working crazy hours? Will he have to travel constantly?

I'm married now, but when DH or I consider other job offers, those types of things are just as important (if not more so) than the money or prestige or location.

Old 06-21-2011, 08:30 AM

29,784 posts, read 34,577,538 times
Quote:
Somewhat. Not so much WHAT he does, but the side effects of that job. Is it a profession that requires moving every couple years? Will he be working crazy hours? Will he have to travel constantly?
That, and does he enjoy his job? Is he good at it and proud of what he does? Or is he going to come home every night in a funk because he spends 8+ hours a day being miserable doing something that he hates?

Old 06-21-2011, 08:40 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,298,793 times
As somebody who works in a biz where there are lots of single women, it's really interesting to hear them describe the guys in their lives in casual conversation.

When one woman asks another woman about the new guy in her life, the answer is almost always, "Well, he's a [occupation]..." Not, "Well, he's really funny" or anything else for that matter.

Why is that?

Old 06-21-2011, 08:47 AM

538 posts, read 1,525,581 times
Ah, I love the women who want their man to be "very successful," "makes lots of money", yet when their man has to work 70+ hours a week, they have the nerve to get upset that they are never home for the kids...

(P.S. You don't need to work 70+ hours a week to be successful and make lots of money, but you get the idea.)

Old 06-21-2011, 08:49 AM

538 posts, read 1,525,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
As somebody who works in a biz where there are lots of single women, it's really interesting to hear them describe the guys in their lives in casual conversation.

When one woman asks another woman about the new guy in her life, the answer is almost always, "Well, he's a [occupation]..." Not, "Well, he's really funny" or anything else for that matter.

Why is that?
High-maintenance women. My wife has a friend and occupation is literally the only thing that matters to her, period. She will date a guy for a year and she can't tell you a darn thing about him other than what he does for a living.

Old 06-21-2011, 09:30 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,244,393 times
I don't really care what he does - but given my own profession, it's easier for me to date (or marry, as I did) someone who understands what I do. I'm a performer - and my past relationships have been with people somehow connected to the business. It just makes it easier. This has nothing to do with status - more with compatibility.

Old 06-21-2011, 09:35 AM

25,899 posts, read 42,809,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d-boy-80 View Post
Sure. I don't think many women think all jobs are created equal; any that do, I invite them to date a drug dealer or mob boss. Those are jobs.

Old 06-21-2011, 09:38 AM

29,784 posts, read 34,577,538 times
I don't know, since I am a woman, all I care about is rolling around naked in a pile of his money, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships