Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 05:05 AM

2,444 posts, read 3,584,462 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepgirl27 View Post
WHAT? no most women are honest when it comes to the father of the child..Most men know when they are the father..they usually dont have to guess if they are or not..
If you have to wonder that just says "what kind of relationship am I in"?
You don't need to have a relationship to make someone pregnant...

Old 06-25-2011, 05:22 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,196,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedishViking View Post
Yeap some women will use men any way they can.
I don't think this is news to anyone but the OP though....

First thing my father did when I came out was a paternal test... when it was positive he took another one... guess he didn't trust mom that much...
That's telling.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankhharu View Post
This is such a ridiculous statement. Nobody purposely impregnates a woman they don't trust. If not for a little dumb luck, I probably wouldn't have caught my gf cheating when I did. I was too busy "trusting" her
My ex cheated on me with a woman, as we found out later, who had herpes. So, I had a herpes scare for a little while and I was beyond p*ssed. Since my ex did this I should not trust my husband? That makes no sense to me.

Old 06-25-2011, 10:33 AM

3,617 posts, read 3,884,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepgirl27 View Post
WHAT? no most women are honest when it comes to the father of the child..Most men know when they are the father..they usually dont have to guess if they are or not..
If you have to wonder that just says "what kind of relationship am I in"?
Most are. The vast majority. However, some are not (I believe the number is about 10% but I'm not certain if I'm remembering that correctly).

You can have utter trust in the other person while still not placing absolute faith in your own judgement. Due to the ease of testing and the consequences of not doing so, it really makes sense -- no one is infallible, no matter how certain you are that it doesn't apply to you.

It's not about "what kind of relationship am I in." It's about an awareness of oneself as human, and therefore, fallible, and taking appropriate steps to ameliorate the consequences of that.

Old 06-25-2011, 10:58 AM

5,987 posts, read 10,472,793 times
How frequently this occurs is obviously difficult to determine with much accuracy, unless genetic or blood tests are done. There have been a lot of studies though, and the results typically vary from about 1% to 30%. Some of the variation is due to where the study was done and on what populations. Here's a link that shows the results from a large number of studies. It seems that 10% is typical, but depending on the study group and method, it can be lower or much higher. The results from paternity testing laboratories are strikingly higher - those suspicions are often correct, it seems.

Misattributed paternity rates and non-paternity rates

You can draw your own conclusions after looking at this and the category groupings.

Old 06-25-2011, 11:26 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,196,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoistDude View Post
How frequently this occurs is obviously difficult to determine with much accuracy, unless genetic or blood tests are done. There have been a lot of studies though, and the results typically vary from about 1% to 30%. Some of the variation is due to where the study was done and on what populations. Here's a link that shows the results from a large number of studies. It seems that 10% is typical, but depending on the study group and method, it can be lower or much higher. The results from paternity testing laboratories are strikingly higher - those suspicions are often correct, it seems.

Misattributed paternity rates and non-paternity rates

You can draw your own conclusions after looking at this and the category groupings.
The important thing here is 10% of what population. The only conclusions I find with these threads relates to those waving their fists for the issue; a clear inability to grasp basic statistics and reading comprehension problems. This could be due to simple laziness or intellectual challenges. Who knows, but it definitely draws a line in the sand.

Last edited by Braunwyn; 06-25-2011 at 11:44 AM..

Old 06-25-2011, 11:33 AM

1,098 posts, read 1,866,386 times
OP, one of the most beautiful things about being 30, is you become more wise to certain tricks.

If you really want to avoid the unfairness side of marriage and divorce geared towards men, stay single and embrace it. If anything, George Clooney is a pretty good example. He got burned by his first marriage and could of lost everything so he's protecting himself and everything he's earned by never going to the engagement stage. (Of course he could have a change of mind in ten years.) Best not to dwell on it, and learn from other people's mistakes to prevent yourself from falling into the same trap.

I get it, as a guy it rather sucks that odds are stacked against us. People are going to accuse you of being bitter, angry, cynical despite how ironic that it's okay for a woman to bash men out loud because we've see it all the time. It doesn't mean you hate women, you're expressing major disappointment is all and it will really affect how you trust in them in the future.

There are alot of men who would of wanted nothing more than a healthy marriage where there is trust and happiness, but reality tells a different story. Our culture is being brainwashed into accepting infidelity and not taking other people's feelings into consideration... (yes, men do it too I'm not that biased).

Think about the type of women you like, sometimes guys get blindsided by what we find attractive that we neglect to see what's under the surface. I see younger couples struggle because they keep rushing into things without a shred of thought, and older couples regretting the day they said I do.

I'll say this, my best friend and co worker has a wife and has been married for seven years and counting. He's a bit nit picky, and when he was suffering a huge depression she was with him all the way. Even now, she makes him lunches, encourages him when he's down and he does the same for her. Her friends used to give her lots of crap about not treating him the "modern way". Lets just say now she doesn't have those friends anymore and puts her energy into seeing that her kids grow up healthy, and her husband happy. She's surprisingly humble yet proud of being a wife and mother and loves her husband.

There is a small chance for any guy to be happy if you truly want the married life, all you have to do is do a little research on the woman you want to be with, or just be plain lucky!

Last edited by Cyber Surfer; 06-25-2011 at 12:09 PM..

Old 06-25-2011, 12:05 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,548,469 times
No, it has never happened.

I kid.

Old 06-25-2011, 01:34 PM

252 posts, read 555,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackpot View Post
OP, one of the most beautiful things about being 30, is you become more wise to certain tricks.

If you really want to avoid the unfairness side of marriage and divorce geared towards men, stay single and embrace it. If anything, George Clooney is a pretty good example. He got burned by his first marriage and could of lost everything so he's protecting himself and everything he's earned by never going to the engagement stage. (Of course he could have a change of mind in ten years.) Best not to dwell on it, and learn from other people's mistakes to prevent yourself from falling into the same trap.

I get it, as a guy it rather sucks that odds are stacked against us. People are going to accuse you of being bitter, angry, cynical despite how ironic that it's okay for a woman to bash men out loud because we've see it all the time. It doesn't mean you hate women, you're expressing major disappointment is all and it will really affect how you trust in them in the future.

There are alot of men who would of wanted nothing more than a healthy marriage where there is trust and happiness, but reality tells a different story. Our culture is being brainwashed into accepting infidelity and not taking other people's feelings into consideration... (yes, men do it too I'm not that biased).

Think about the type of women you like, sometimes guys get blindsided by what we find attractive that we neglect to see what's under the surface. I see younger couples struggle because they keep rushing into things without a shred of thought, and older couples regretting the day they said I do.

I'll say this, my best friend and co worker has a wife and has been married for seven years and counting. He's a bit nit picky, and when he was suffering a huge depression she was with him all the way. Even now, she makes him lunches, encourages him when he's down and he does the same for her. Her friends used to give her lots of crap about not treating him the "modern way". Lets just say now she doesn't have those friends anymore and puts her energy into seeing that her kids grow up healthy, and her husband happy. She's surprisingly humble yet proud of being a wife and mother and loves her husband.

There is a small chance for any guy to be happy if you truly want the married life, all you have to do is do a little research on the woman you want to be with, or just be plain lucky!
I like your point of view, thank you for contributing.

Old 06-25-2011, 08:20 PM

774 posts, read 1,164,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by underthesun7 View Post
Do women cheat on men and lie about whose the father???
...Do woodchucks chuck wood?
...Is a bird in the hand worth two in the bush?
...Does it take two to Tango?
...Do dogs chase cats?
...Is the pen mightier than the sword?

Old 06-25-2011, 08:21 PM

252 posts, read 555,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
The important thing here is 10% of what population. The only conclusions I find with these threads relates to those waving their fists for the issue; a clear inability to grasp basic statistics and reading comprehension problems. This could be due to simple laziness or intellectual challenges. Who knows, but it definitely draws a line in the sand.
So I guess we should just ignore it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.