Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 08:31 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,192,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Rambler View Post
That is an epic fail as well. You are on this 24/7/365. You don't take off to get your nails done! LMAO
Well, I'm not here when I'm sleeping and I'm not here when I'm at work. Although, I should spend less time here conversing with tools as opposed to putting on that back storm door. Fortunately, I'm taking tomorrow off as well.

Old 07-04-2011, 08:34 AM

2,736 posts, read 2,797,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
It's sad that this thread bores you. Braunwyn was simply asking a question, in order to find out people were intimidated by women who do their own home remodeling and/or repairs. It is quite apparent that at least one male poster has shown himself to be intimidated. Well, either that or he chosen this venue to attempt to completely minimize anything that women do, because it's not nearly as hard, complex, and dangerous as what HE does.

It would be nice if people could actually get back on track as I think this could be a very interesting thread. I mean, how hard is the question, really? Are you or are you not intimidated by women who are D-I-Yers or do you think it's GREAT that more women are putting their foot down, refusing to pay others to do what they are perfectly capable of doing themselves?

Personally, I am THRILLED to see more women getting over their fear of power tools. I love that when I walk into a Home Depot store, I am seeing more women picking up building materials and shopping for new power tools. I am seeing more of the sales associates taking women more seriously and not talking down to them, but rather talking WITH them, concerning their purchases. I'm even seeing a few more female associates working in the lumber departments who actually know what they're talking about and that's wonderful.

I give credit to some of those DIY improvement shows. Over the past 5 years, we're seeing more and more women grabbing up power tools and demonstrating their skills with them, showing housewives or single gals that, IF you follow your basic safety precautions and do your homework, most home repairs are simple. Many women are detail oriented and that makes for some mad skills when you're doing some of those home repair projects. By becoming a DIY female, you can easily turn your plain ole kitchen into a custom kitchen that give you exactly what you need, without having to do a complete demo and remortgage your home to pay for it.

Being a DIY female means that you can have MORE of what you want, because if you pick up occasional tools (watch those Fathers' Day sales ladies! LOL) before you know it, you've got a work ship that will make many men drool. LOL If you're serious about getting into DIY "stuff", but can't really afford the tools on an "any day" basis, do what I started doing, years ago. You've got Valentine's day, Christmas, your anniversary, Easter, Mothers' day.... Gals, those dates can reap you at LEAST 5 new tools for your workshop..way more if you go for the good, high-powered battery operated combo packs. LOL Those portable tools can be wonderful things...work on your tan while working on a project in your back yard!

Men, don't be intimidated by women who love to work with power tools, cut their own lumber, replace their own windows, etc. Embrace those things....they're like a dream come true! You've now got more time to spend doing things together, and your wife's not nagging at you about "trivial" projects on your days off. You've also got more MONEY to spend doing recreational things, because you're not having to hire someone to do them for you. Spend your money on more tools, not the wages of someone to do things for you. Buying tools (IF you're going to use them) is like putting money in the bank!
No license and common sense contractor in his right mind would buy what you are selling. It's ok, after you F it up, you will be calling us anyway!

Old 07-04-2011, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
Well, I'm not here when I'm sleeping and I'm not here when I'm at work. Although, I should spend less time here conversing with tools as opposed to putting on that back storm door. Fortunately, I'm taking tomorrow off as well.
I'm on holiday vacation. That still doesn't mean the phone won't ring. Why do you think I stay up so late?

Old 07-04-2011, 08:36 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,724,506 times
Quote:
LOL Yep, the only tools I like talking to are things like....well the lawnmower for instance, after I've changed the spark plug, drained and replaced the oil and the filter, sharpened the blade. "Okay baby, momma's given you a fresh new start...purr like a baby for me now. There, isn't that better now...fresh new oil...nice new pedicure for your blade...yeah started right up on the first pull...good girl!!"

Old 07-04-2011, 08:40 AM

Quote:
No license and common sense contractor in his right mind would buy what you are selling. It's ok, after you F it up, you will be calling us anyway!
Awwww I'm sorry....once again you're so terribly, terribly off base. Not once, and I do mean NEVER, have I ever had to call a professional to do or FIX anything for me. Not once, in my entire life son. If I'm learning something new and I F it up, I simply go back and do it right...myself, much wiser and better than I was before the F up. Trust me, you and yours, will NEVER receive a phone call from me...never have, never will.

Old 07-04-2011, 08:41 AM

Quote:
How about if all of your appliances are electric? You don't need much of an education on running gas lines now, do you? How about if you choose to go with the new red & blue flex tubing for running your water lines...or go with the PVC/CPVC plumbing w/ couplings. Well now, you don't need to concern yourself with owning a pipe threader, do you? Rubbing alcohol and PVC cement, combined with a hacksaw will get you through the day.
Well, you would know that that new garbage is trailer trash and doesn't hold up or last. Those fittings give out sooner or later. It's no substitute for sweating/soldering copper. Like the new yellow flex gas lines? Be careful when your kids kick it when fighting in the basement. Make sure it is well grounded by a qualified electrician. Lot's of fires have started as of late because of that. Do you know flow rates for what size pipe you even need? C'mon now!

Old 07-04-2011, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Awwww I'm sorry....once again you're so terribly, terribly off base. Not once, and I do mean NEVER, have I ever had to call a professional to do or FIX anything for me. Not once, in my entire life son. If I'm learning something new and I F it up, I simply go back and do it right...myself, much wiser and better than I was before the F up. Trust me, you and yours, will NEVER receive a phone call from me...never have, never will.
I'll keep that in mind over the nest few months.

Old 07-04-2011, 08:45 AM

Clearly your reading comprehension is right up there with your critical thinking skills...I rest my case.

Old 07-04-2011, 08:46 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,192,725 times
Quote:
Do you own a portable pipe threader? Do you know how to cut and thread black pipe? How about shutting off the gas at the meter? How much PSI must a system be pressure tested with an inert gas for in the County and the City for at least 24 hours? The Cities and Counties have different regulations, you know? Can you perform an LP conversion on an appliance? When you are done, what are you looking for on the water column? We're just getting started here. Back out now while you still can.
Why would I know about appliances when I have never done any work with appliances? You keep going back to appliances. How about this? What's the percentage of ionized species of an acid at pH 5.5 with a pKa of 6? Hmmm? lol Find a youtube vid for that lol. Or try to google it. I dare you.

Why would I own a pipe threader? But, my common sense tells me that you need a shorter pipe, so you cut it. And I guess you want it threaded, so you thread it. Apparently you thread the pipe with a pipe threader. Is this supposed to be rocket science? Well, here's a youtube vid how to do it old school.

YouTube - ‪Pipe Threading 11 09‬‏

Shutting off the gas at the meter? Well, home owners should know how to do this. I know where my meter is as well as where to shut off the water.
For those that don't know, well, here's a youtube vid.

YouTube - ‪How to shut off gas to your home‬‏

Frankly, if it can be found on youtube in a 30 second video, it isn't going to be all that complex to achieve. Really, what kind of stupid questions are these?

And again, when I decide to become employed by a appliance company, which we now know is your profession, I learn appliances. At this juncture, I could care less.

Old 07-04-2011, 08:46 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,958,318 times
Quote:
Does a DIY'er woman intimidate you?
Not at all. If she has the same qualities that I normally find attractive in women and she's a DIY'er then its just a plus.

Like the HOT Jodi Gilmore of HGTV. She's a DIY'er. This is what me likey. A DIY woman who looks like this is just flat out awesome.

YouTube - ‪Jodi Gilmour Is Hot!!‬‏

Kristan Cunningham is another super hot super sweet DIY woman. I'll take her at any time. Wowza.

GMC / Kristan Cunningham - P404 - Decorating Kid?s... - AOL Video

Quote:
Do you think women are innately challenged when it comes to on-hand tasks?
Not sure what you mean by "on-hand tasks". My dear friends Kristan and Jodi in the vids above are examples of women being very good at what they do - DIY tasks.

WTH is this thread doing in the RELATIONSHIP forum anyway? Should be in the HOUSE AND HOME forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships