Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 08:45 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,706,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boodhabunny View Post
No, but once I was being chased by a guy in a parking lot. I jumped into my car and as I pulled away, he lunged at the car, fell down, and I think I ran over his foot/ankle/leg. At least that's what I think happened based on what I saw in my rear view mirror. I didn't stop to ask him if he was hurt.

My 4 year son was with me and he was hysterical. It took me several hours to get him to calm down.
batu?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2011, 08:50 PM

12,940 posts, read 21,647,952 times
Geeze, what a bunch of amateurs!

Old 07-26-2011, 09:38 PM

946 posts, read 2,921,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobokenkitchen View Post
I think it is the height of cowardice for a woman to hit a man knowing that he will not hit her back.
If you want to use your fists, at least have the courage to do so with someone who can clock you back to teach you some manners.

I have never been in any type of physical fight although I feel prepared to defend myself if I had to.
Nah...it's not about cowardice...I really don't give it a second thought when it happens...it's just a natural reaction I get whenever I'm extremely frustrated with the other person- it's my way of venting that frustration, which I know is not "healthy". It's not like I consciously think 'Oh...he's a man, I can hit him because he won't hit me back.' It happens instinctively. Oh, and when I get to that point, the other person has deserved it, trust me.

Old 07-26-2011, 11:43 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,171,789 times
I came close a couple of years ago. I am a lover not a fighter and the whole prospect of getting into a fight makes me feel ill. I will defend myself if I have to but hope that I won't be put into that position. So anyway, a couple of years ago we had just moved to a new city, new state. My husband started his new job, my child went to school and I didn't know a soul here. I was feeling a bit lonely and bored and decided to check out some of the shopping in the area. I saw a Bed Bath and Beyond and decided to go in. I actually hate that store but like I said I was bored.

So as I was meandering around the store, making my way through their horrid overly stocked aisles and came up upon a very large woman standing or should I say blocking the aisle. No big deal she was still about 6 or 7 feet ahead of me and figured I would just go around her. Well her friend said to her that someone was coming and motioned for them to move out of the way. The large woman then whips around stops both of her big bear feet on the tile, crosses her arms across her chest and glares at me. She then proceeded to snap her head back and forth yelling at me at that I need to respect her and she wasn't going to move out of anyone's damn way. I was so shocked at first I actually turned and looked over my shoulder thinking she might be talking to someone else. It took me a moment to realize she was talking to me. I then looked at her friend and she mouthed to me, "I'm sorry." So obviously this woman knows that her friend is some sort of nut job.

I stood there looking at her and watched her rant. When she finally shut up, I asked her if she was stupid or something. She then made a step towards me and put her hands on the front of my basket. She started to put pressure on it as if she was going to shove it into me. I braced my feet and gave the pressure back in her direction. We eyed each other and then finally she stepped back mumbling under breath how people need to respect her and she is not moving out of no one's way, blah blah. At that point I wasn't really listening because my heart was pounding in my ears. I had so many thoughts going through my head like...wow, I am about to get into a fight in stupid Bed Bath and Beyond. If I go to jail who will pick up my son from school? Will I get sued? Does she have a weapon? It was horrible.

After she stomped off I could hear her stupid mouth as she walked toward the back of the store still mumbling about respect and other nonsense. So that was my welcome to town experience. I left the store feeling pissed off and thought about her for the rest of the day wishing I would have bashed her face in.

Old 07-26-2011, 11:57 PM

1,098 posts, read 1,868,505 times
What I'd like to know is, how do you defend yourself as an adult without having to go to jail and share a cell with the SAME GUY that's trying to kill you?

Doesn't matter who initiated it, cops expect you to run away or crawl in a fetal position otherwise you get an assault charge.

Stupid law.

Old 07-27-2011, 12:08 AM

10,400 posts, read 15,620,367 times
Default United States Coast Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmusmc85 View Post
Just wondering....
Do tell...
As an adult, have you ever got in a physical fight?

In the US Post Coasties I was
in a fight
with a superior
non-commissioned officer
, who transferred into the USCG from
the army , and was a Army Ranger in
the Army , I didn't get
in trouble because he jumped me....LOL

Old 07-27-2011, 12:31 AM

591 posts, read 867,742 times
Yes, three times:

#1: a gay person tried to force me to have sex and I had to punch him out. I won that one.
#2: a business partner had been drinking heavily and making dumb mistakes in front of clients, costing us lots of lost revenue and bad will that went word-of-mouth to prospective clients. I pointed this out, he punched me, I punched back. I lost that one. Had a black eye for 6 months.
#3: the son (by a previous marriage) of my second wife took the car out at night without permission (violating the terms of our insurance in that he was not to drive my car, only the one we bought for him, which wasn't good enough, apparently, to impress his gf - they were both 20) and I punched him first; he'd been doing a lot of other bad things like stealing stuff from us and lying about it, and I'd really had enough - there was no way to instill "the fear of God" into him. He punched me so hard I fell over backwards down a flight of stairs, not even a scratch, I have the balance of a cat. It was a draw - he won the fight per se but I kicked him out. Later on the law was after him. Total loser.

Last edited by Doctor Blues; 07-27-2011 at 12:33 AM.. Reason: forgot some details/typos

Old 07-27-2011, 07:23 AM

7,453 posts, read 13,446,115 times
Only in self defence, never instigated a fight.

Old 07-27-2011, 07:30 AM

15 posts, read 39,141 times
Got into a fight with a **** drunk friend when I was DD. Definitely wasn't like the UFC. We were both swinging wildly, completely missed, and gassed out in under 1 minute.

Old 07-27-2011, 08:25 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,657,520 times
I can think of three occasions, once in a pub in Oxford I accidentally spilled my drink ( water) on a woman . I apologised profusely and even offered to pay for her dry cleaning ( though it was only water). She started to swear at me, lunged at me and started to pull my hair. I basically had to physically restrain her ( as I was about a foot and a half taller than her not ever hard) until some friends of hers stepped in and decided to take her out for "some fresh air". I got a few nail scratches on my hands and neck.

Another time I was in the subway in Paris when two guys were arguing, one suddenly decided to rain blows on the other who was much smaller and older so I stupidly decided to step in and try to stop the assailant from beating up the other guy as nobody else was doing anything about it. Both of them then turned on me and the assailant sprayed me with pepper spray. It took me days to see again properly....

Then once in a lift a guy started to become quite innapropriate and started to touch my breasts. I hit him on the face, kneed him in the groin and then broke his little finger by bending it back as hard as I possibly could when he tried to retaliate. He ended up on the floor crying like a little girl. I called the police who came and picked him up and was told off for basically not allowing myself to be raped though one of the policemen admitted I had done the right thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships