Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2011, 04:30 AM

15,714 posts, read 21,076,177 times

Advertisements

70s Disco Hits - A Compilation of Disco Music from the 70s - YouTube

Get your shoes on and boogie!

I love this music!!!

Old 09-09-2011, 05:52 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,192,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
True, very true, and usually the park serves as a sponge for any overflow, but with all the rain we've had lately the ground is over-saturated.

Here's the entrance to my club ... the water is now over the bar and the stages, and we still haven't hit high water yet. The awning on the left is about 7' high ...
I can smell the mold from here...blech! Just from when my washing machine was stuck on fill for 2 hours and what happened with clean water to the basement and what I had to do to clean it up - I can only imagine what you'll be faced with and not only did the insurance company not pay to clean it up - they dropped me because of it. I had to remove everything and bleach every inch of the walls and things myself. Horrible.

Old 09-09-2011, 06:13 AM

12,940 posts, read 21,626,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
I can smell the mold from here...blech! Just from when my washing machine was stuck on fill for 2 hours and what happened with clean water to the basement and what I had to do to clean it up - I can only imagine what you'll be faced with and not only did the insurance company not pay to clean it up - they dropped me because of it. I had to remove everything and bleach every inch of the walls and things myself. Horrible.
In the 20-some-odd years I've lived in this area I've learned that this area is flood-prone and has a moldy history. My club has been flooded at least 4 times that I've known of, and the basement already smelled of mold.

But then, so do the majority of the houses along the flood plain; the house I lived in for 10 years while married was 2 blocks from the river, much like the club. It's something the locals just seem to have resignedly learned to live with.

Old 09-09-2011, 06:22 AM

Quote:
In the 20-some-odd years I've lived in this area I've learned that this area is flood-prone and has a moldy history. My club has been flooded at least 4 times that I've known of, and the basement already smelled of mold.

But then, so do the majority of the houses along the flood plain; the house I lived in for 10 years while married was 2 blocks from the river, much like the club. It's something the locals just seem to have resignedly learned to live with.
I live across the street from the river and my house is built on what was once a canal area. I have one of the few basements in the area that DOESN'T flood so my personal property value is higher. What happened to me was I hit 'reset' on the washing machine and it got stuck and just kept filling. Then went upstairs and cleaned out my filing cabinet and watched a movie at the same time - about 2 hours. When it was over I started to walk down to the basement and could still hear the water running and I stepped on the last step and it was ice cold water up to my ankles and my first thought was - oh damn, the gas pilot in the water heater and had to turn that off too.

The mold developed later and from the floor to the ceiling on the walls. I had to either pay over $6000 at minimum, or clean it up myself. The insurance company claimed it came from outside in and we went round and round over it and they dumped me. I went to Lowe's and bought shopping carts full of industrial strength Clorox and had to clean every wall with a sponge and remove and drag up all the carpet myself. What a mess.

Old 09-09-2011, 06:42 AM

Quote:
I live across the street from the river and my house is built on what was once a canal area. I have one of the few basements in the area that DOESN'T flood so my personal property value is higher. What happened to me was I hit 'reset' on the washing machine and it got stuck and just kept filling. Then went upstairs and cleaned out my filing cabinet and watched a movie at the same time - about 2 hours. When it was over I started to walk down to the basement and could still hear the water running and I stepped on the last step and it was ice cold water up to my ankles and my first thought was - oh damn, the gas pilot in the water heater and had to turn that off too.

The mold developed later and from the floor to the ceiling on the walls. I had to either pay over $6000 at minimum, or clean it up myself. The insurance company claimed it came from outside in and we went round and round over it and they dumped me. I went to Lowe's and bought shopping carts full of industrial strength Clorox and had to clean every wall with a sponge and remove and drag up all the carpet myself. What a mess.
Wow.

I've never had to deal directly with the consequences of a flood - for me it's all anecdotal knowledge from the old-timers here, coupled with trying a slew of methods to eliminate the smell. Even when I owned my cleaning company I refused flood clean-ups, because frankly I was afraid of them.

Now I guess I'll find out what it's like. I'm thinking the first thing I have to do is get a tetanus shot, a good pair of rubber boots and a LOT of body-wash.

As for insurance - not sure how that works here in a flood-plain, especially since Obama just OK'd the release of Federal funds for the clean-up (the last time that happened was Hurricane Agnes in '72, when Nixon came to visit the wreckage).

The thing that gets me is the feeling of powerlessness when this happens. All you can do is pack your bags and run to high ground. Just another reminder, perhaps, that you can't fight Nature ...

Old 09-09-2011, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Wow.

I've never had to deal directly with the consequences of a flood - for me it's all anecdotal knowledge from the old-timers here, coupled with trying a slew of methods to eliminate the smell. Even when I owned my cleaning company I refused flood clean-ups, because frankly I was afraid of them.

Now I guess I'll find out what it's like. I'm thinking the first thing I have to do is get a tetanus shot, a good pair of rubber boots and a LOT of body-wash.

As for insurance - not sure how that works here in a flood-plain, especially since Obama just OK'd the release of Federal funds for the clean-up (the last time that happened was Hurricane Agnes in '72, when Nixon came to visit the wreckage).

The thing that gets me is the feeling of powerlessness when this happens. All you can do is pack your bags and run to high ground. Just another reminder, perhaps, that you can't fight Nature ...
If you live in a known flood zone you need seperate flood insurance, I don't know how it works when the President releases emergency funds, but I can only imagine since people in New Orleans are still waiting.

The other aspect of it is EVERYTHING metal will eventually begin to rust and if it is not taken care of before winter all your pipes are backed up and will burst. Some of the stuff as a result of this may not show up until a few years later even if you clean it up - like the pipes and furnance and water heater rust and the washing machine and dryer rusted out of the bottoms too. If the mold is in the vents everyone will eventually get sick who works there every day and that needs to be cleaned too. What a mess man....may the force be with you.

Old 09-09-2011, 07:13 AM

Maybe Chow can crank up Muskrat Love and other songs about critters for ya Phil.

Old 09-09-2011, 07:18 AM

Here's the original When the Levee Breaks by Memphis Minnie for the Flood of 1929. Check out the vid photos of this -would that be you in the boat with the fur coat and hat?

When the levee breaks - YouTube

Which Led Zeppelin later ripped off and copyrighted.

when the levee breaks/led zeppelin - YouTube

Old 09-09-2011, 07:34 AM

Quote:
If you live in a known flood zone you need seperate flood insurance, I don't know how it works when the President releases emergency funds, but I can only imagine since people in New Orleans are still waiting.
All I know is that in the big '72 flood, the Feds actually came through pretty quickly with funding, but there were also many, many stories about people not getting the money and of course all the scams that came about.

Also, flood insurance here is very tough to get sometimes - the typical insurance ploy.

Quote:
The other aspect of it is EVERYTHING metal will eventually begin to rust and if it is not taken care of before winter all your pipes are backed up and will burst. Some of the stuff as a result of this may not show up until a few years later even if you clean it up - like the pipes and furnance and water heater rust and the washing machine and dryer rusted out of the bottoms too. If the mold is in the vents everyone will eventually get sick who works there every day and that needs to be cleaned too. What a mess man....may the force be with you.
Yeah, we took out all the stuff the other night - the washer and dryer, water heater, jukebox, kitchen appliances, pool table, etc. - but yes, the mold and the smell is the big problem. Maybe we'll finally get some new carpeting!

Old 09-09-2011, 08:04 AM

29,747 posts, read 34,404,163 times
Congrats to Dogwalker and SD!

If you don't want to do gifts, you can always tell people to make a donation to the charity or your (or their) choosing. That's what we did for my parents' 50th Anniversary party last year. You don't get loaded up with crap, and a good cause gets a few bucks. Everybody wins.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships