Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2013, 04:27 PM

788 posts, read 1,273,030 times

Advertisements

I recently met a guy who had a nice car, a house, a good job and no college degree. Even though we had a lot of fun, I didn't see myself with him long term because we just didn't have much in common. We were at a party with all professional people (mostly attorneys, since it was a party thrown by a law firm) and he said, "I don't really feel comfortable around these kinds of people." That threw up a big red flag for me because he would never be comfortable around most of my family or friends, and I'm not going to avoid them for this guy. He also lives in a neighborhood with more working class people, which is not where I'm comfortable living, so that also said something to me.

For me, it's not just about a college degree, since I know plenty of people with them who are not particularly bright, but more about the lifestyle differences between the two of us. With this particular guy, I know our difference lifestyles would eventually become a very big problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2013, 04:49 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,677,959 times
Meh, college is overrated.

Old 03-31-2013, 04:59 PM

52,349 posts, read 52,799,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dub dub II View Post
Meh, college is overrated.
I sorta agree, although I am big on education, I think sometimes people can get the same education just simply reading books.

Certain majors are just nonsense fluff that can be learned, like I said just simply reading.

Things like engineering or become a physician, well, those are different stories. If some guy is gonna crack open my chest, I want him to have some major formal education.

Old 03-31-2013, 05:48 PM

17,645 posts, read 22,675,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
I have a masters and tend to not date men with degrees. The reason mainly is because so many men I have dated with degrees were so arrogant. My current interest is a veteran and so is my ex.
You still chasing taco man?

Old 04-01-2013, 09:53 AM

6,126 posts, read 10,119,496 times
I strongly prefer to date men with college degrees. Maybe that makes me a snob but so be it. Education is important to me. Intelligence is also important to me, so if he was really smart and self motivated then maybe the degree wouldn't matter as much. I want a guy who knows what's happening in the world, who actually likes to read books, and can articulate himself and hold meaningful conversations.

Old 04-01-2013, 09:57 AM

4,217 posts, read 7,309,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
I strongly prefer to date men with college degrees. Maybe that makes me a snob but so be it. Education is important to me. Intelligence is also important to me, so if he was really smart and self motivated then maybe the degree wouldn't matter as much. I want a guy who knows what's happening in the world, who actually likes to read books, and can articulate himself and hold meaningful conversations.
Education doesn't automatically equal intelligence and vice versa.

Old 04-01-2013, 10:01 AM

39,276 posts, read 27,671,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1282 View Post
This is kinda a rant but anyway.. So Im a 29 single white male average looks 5'7 brown hair and eyes. Im orginally from Boston and just moved to Dallas because Boston was just too expensive to live. I was in the military been to Iraq twice and saved all my money for a house. So I bought one just outside the Dallas area and have been trying the dating scene. At first it was tough cuz I dont know anyone here but lately Ive had some success. Now most of these women are college educated and the dates go fine. But once we get to the part when they ask where I went to school. I explain to them I dropped out and joined the military everything seems to fall apart and they tell me they want someone like-minded with the same goals. I dont get it. I own my own house, my own car (Acura TL) not cheap, and have no debt besides my house. Not to brag but I have a 401k another one with Edward Jones both about 20k and another 20k in the bank and somehow because I dont have a degree Im not gonna be successful. Im a police officer and make around 60k a year which is pretty good in dallas. Now at first I thought this was just one girl but it has happened to the last three girls I dated. They all want a guy with a degree which I think is overrated but thats just me, I chose a different route. A degree is a great accomplishment but I dont think you need one to be successful. I think Im in better shape than most of the people my age. Anyways whine over.. Think Im

overreacting.
Are you sure you have been turned down because you don't have a college degree? I have several police officer guy friends who have been turned down because of the nature of their job.

Old 04-01-2013, 10:16 AM

17,645 posts, read 22,675,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
I have a degree in mountain survival techniques, darlin'...

Old 04-01-2013, 10:27 AM

6,126 posts, read 10,119,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findly185 View Post
That's why I said if he liked to do those things and was obviously intelligent, but lacked the degree then it wouldn't matter as much.

Old 04-01-2013, 11:17 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,159,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findly185 View Post
bill gates, Steve jobs, mark zuckerburg all dropped out of college, those guys are a bunch of losers they"ll never make it in life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships