Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2013, 08:53 PM

3,009 posts, read 3,652,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
People are far far more than the college they attended... intelligence goes far and beyond what someone was able to memorize and regurgitate back onto a test form.

Some of the brightest guys I've known either had no degrees or just a low level AA type degree or trade schools.

Yes, a lot of jobs need a degree, I was just a little miffed at the snobbery some people have about degrees.

All a degree tells me is that they were able to attend class and pass tests... doesn't mean jack shyt about life and the real world.

I say this from a perspective of highly respecting education. I don't respect the snotty behavior that some have toward higher education, like they are better than someone who doesn't have higher education.

I personally find snobby behavior to be abhorrent........major pet peeve of mine.......

fair points all i was trying to say you need it if you want land most jobs.

School is easy for me it all about dedication to doing homework and studying. College for me is a matter of life or death. Having a wife and kids vs giving up on dating, making a good leaving vs being just above poverty being so ever close to sleeping in your car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2013, 09:01 PM

52,418 posts, read 52,947,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krieger00 View Post
fair points all i was trying to say you need it if you want land most jobs.

School is easy for me it all about dedication to doing homework and studying. College for me is a matter of life or death. Having a wife and kids vs giving up on dating, making a good leaving vs being just above poverty being so ever close to sleeping in your car.
Best luck to you... If I recall, you were in a nursing program, kudos to you, as I respect nursing and the hard work that they do.

Old 11-09-2013, 09:03 PM

3,009 posts, read 3,652,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Best luck to you... If I recall, you were in a nursing program, kudos to you, as I respect nursing and the hard work that they do.

Thanks for the nice words it is a hard job but it is worth it .

Old 11-09-2013, 09:16 PM

2,546 posts, read 6,888,383 times
Keep on looking. You will find a girl who will accept you as you are
Thank you for your service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1282 View Post
This is kinda a rant but anyway.. So Im a 29 single white male average looks 5'7 brown hair and eyes. Im orginally from Boston and just moved to Dallas because Boston was just too expensive to live. I was in the military been to Iraq twice and saved all my money for a house. So I bought one just outside the Dallas area and have been trying the dating scene. At first it was tough cuz I dont know anyone here but lately Ive had some success. Now most of these women are college educated and the dates go fine. But once we get to the part when they ask where I went to school. I explain to them I dropped out and joined the military everything seems to fall apart and they tell me they want someone like-minded with the same goals. I dont get it. I own my own house, my own car (Acura TL) not cheap, and have no debt besides my house. Not to brag but I have a 401k another one with Edward Jones both about 20k and another 20k in the bank and somehow because I dont have a degree Im not gonna be successful. Im a police officer and make around 60k a year which is pretty good in dallas. Now at first I thought this was just one girl but it has happened to the last three girls I dated. They all want a guy with a degree which I think is overrated but thats just me, I chose a different route. A degree is a great accomplishment but I dont think you need one to be successful. I think Im in better shape than most of the people my age. Anyways whine over.. Think Im overreacting.

Old 11-10-2013, 06:27 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,472,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1282 View Post
This is kinda a rant but anyway.. So Im a 29 single white male average looks 5'7 brown hair and eyes. Im orginally from Boston and just moved to Dallas because Boston was just too expensive to live. I was in the military been to Iraq twice and saved all my money for a house. So I bought one just outside the Dallas area and have been trying the dating scene. At first it was tough cuz I dont know anyone here but lately Ive had some success. Now most of these women are college educated and the dates go fine. But once we get to the part when they ask where I went to school. I explain to them I dropped out and joined the military everything seems to fall apart and they tell me they want someone like-minded with the same goals. I dont get it. I own my own house, my own car (Acura TL) not cheap, and have no debt besides my house. Not to brag but I have a 401k another one with Edward Jones both about 20k and another 20k in the bank and somehow because I dont have a degree Im not gonna be successful. Im a police officer and make around 60k a year which is pretty good in dallas. Now at first I thought this was just one girl but it has happened to the last three girls I dated. They all want a guy with a degree which I think is overrated but thats just me, I chose a different route. A degree is a great accomplishment but I dont think you need one to be successful. I think Im in better shape than most of the people my age. Anyways whine over.. Think Im overreacting.
You maybe married by now but here goes. I think you need to date working class or local women who can appreciate you. Leave these superficial women alone, half of them will still be alone at age 40.

Old 11-10-2013, 05:30 PM

3,549 posts, read 5,391,948 times
This is a very good thread topic. I have a lot of personal experience here.

I dont have a bachelors degree and I'm 25. I was single about 4-5 years and dated a lot and met a lot of women. I went out several nights a week to packed bars and clubs for years. Needless to say, ive met a LOT of people.

I will admit that it seemed a lot of women when they asked "what you went to school for" or "what you do" you were instantly judged. Now, it never like put me in some huge slump by any means, but it certainly put me out of commission with plenty of attractive and educated girls.

They far prefer a fancy title and degree because they automatically think it means "omg $ and success." One of my best friends is a chiropractor and I make about 3x what he does. He has a lot of education and a fancy title. Same with a LOT of my friends.

What's crazy is some women drool over that assuming success.

The thing is, when the conversation comes up I cant be like "oh yeah I dont have a bachelors degree, but I'll make 150k this year, I actually turned down a job for 200k last week since I'm happy where I'm at."

No.. I cant say that for obvious reasons lol. So instead many of the more educated and often attractive girls are left thinking "well he's not that educated and works in the construction industry" and they make fair assumptions that most people would.

However, in actuality though it's a good thing. It would keep me away from girls that are high maintenance or gold diggers a bit more.

I understand why some people place value on education. My WHOLE family is like that to an extent, luckily I do well so I don't hear about it.

Education is great and can certainly mean something. People also need to undertand there are outliers to those with degrees as well.

Please dont take my post as a generality towards women. The women who really place THAT much emphasis are often few and far between. It should not be a reason men can't get laid or dates.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Old 11-10-2013, 06:00 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,394,561 times
I've never, ever been turned down for my lack of lack (currently in school), and I've dated lawyers, professors, engineers, physicians, and other intellectuals.

Anyone who rejected me on such basis is a douchebag, and it's their loss. I'm f*cking brilliant without a formal education. I'm an autodidact and I know a lot about my chosen fields of study and areas of interest because I have spent years studying on my own. This is easily demonstrated when speaking with me or through my profile (or other writing). In my case it has never been an issue.

My last serious boyfriend does not possess a degree, either, and he's a software engineer making 95k a year. Same with my ex-husband, and he recently accepted a 100k job offer in D.C. However, he spent 12 years in the military in the intelligence field. He's bloody brilliant -- genius and extremely talented.

Old 11-10-2013, 06:14 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,622,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I can't understand the mindset that would rule out what sounds like a great guy (on paper), for lack of a degree. Are you sure that is it?

Your benefit package, all on it's own, is marketable as a date.
Well at least you're honest about how you view men.

Old 11-10-2013, 06:16 PM

706 posts, read 1,208,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstan-dan View Post
This is a very good thread topic. I have a lot of personal experience here.

I dont have a bachelors degree and I'm 25. I was single about 4-5 years and dated a lot and met a lot of women. I went out several nights a week to packed bars and clubs for years. Needless to say, ive met a LOT of people.

I will admit that it seemed a lot of women when they asked "what you went to school for" or "what you do" you were instantly judged. Now, it never like put me in some huge slump by any means, but it certainly put me out of commission with plenty of attractive and educated girls.

They far prefer a fancy title and degree because they automatically think it means "omg $ and success." One of my best friends is a chiropractor and I make about 3x what he does. He has a lot of education and a fancy title. Same with a LOT of my friends.

What's crazy is some women drool over that assuming success.

The thing is, when the conversation comes up I cant be like "oh yeah I dont have a bachelors degree, but I'll make 150k this year, I actually turned down a job for 200k last week since I'm happy where I'm at."

No.. I cant say that for obvious reasons lol. So instead many of the more educated and often attractive girls are left thinking "well he's not that educated and works in the construction industry" and they make fair assumptions that most people would.

However, in actuality though it's a good thing. It would keep me away from girls that are high maintenance or gold diggers a bit more.

I understand why some people place value on education. My WHOLE family is like that to an extent, luckily I do well so I don't hear about it.

Education is great and can certainly mean something. People also need to undertand there are outliers to those with degrees as well.

Please dont take my post as a generality towards women. The women who really place THAT much emphasis are often few and far between. It should not be a reason men can't get laid or dates.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
I find that some blue collar jobs pay even higher than a white collar job. I had two friends that would only date blue collar because they were more manly and usually had more $$ because they weren't paying off student loans. I guess you say they were gold digging. Btw one was a CPA the other has her masters.

And no it shouldn't be a reason for guy not to get laid. Lol

To the OP, I always have the up most respect for people in public service. I find it odd that your having difficulties as my friends feel the same way.

Old 11-10-2013, 06:18 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,622,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
You maybe married by now but here goes. I think you need to date working class or local women who can appreciate you. Leave these superficial women alone, half of them will still be alone at age 40.
About the best advice you could give a guy I suppose. The good news is the superficial ones are pretty easy to spot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships