Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2013, 12:01 PM

613 posts, read 1,057,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
So why do you keep pursuing women who have a preference for men with a college degree? Why don't you pursue women who are less educated and most likely do not care that you dropped out of college.
It's not that I'm pursuing them. I'm 31 trying to look for a serious relationship. If you are in the dating world women after 26 pretty much know what they want or think they want. When my education comes up which it does every time they dont like that I have no degree. I've tried dating younger but 22, 23 something girls just want to have fun or short term date. If I could find a girl that didnt care about my education this thread would not be up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2013, 12:59 PM

1,596 posts, read 1,943,002 times
OP should consider himself lucky that he's finding out early on that the women in question are hung up on status. at least he isn't wasting more time with them.

Don't worry OP, every single year that goes by will make you more and more attractive to women within 10 years of your age while they get less and less desirable. Sounds like you have a decent job, take care of your finances so as long as you don't have some type of severe personality disorder and don't look like a troglodyte you should do fine. Your only real issue is being 5'7" (no diss I'm not much taller) but you don't really want to be with women that are offended by that either.

Old 11-14-2013, 01:08 PM

2,758 posts, read 4,976,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1282 View Post
It's not that I'm pursuing them. I'm 31 trying to look for a serious relationship. If you are in the dating world women after 26 pretty much know what they want or think they want. When my education comes up which it does every time they dont like that I have no degree. I've tried dating younger but 22, 23 something girls just want to have fun or short term date. If I could find a girl that didnt care about my education this thread would not be up.
I am surprised woman would care that you have no degree while you run a successful business.

Is it possible they thibk you are bs'ing them about your 'business' and your 'money' ?
I know guys that claim to run/own a business, when it is actually daddy's business and they are totally broke, living off dad's handouts... even after 30.

I'm not accusing you of this, but it happens.

Old 11-14-2013, 06:56 PM

18,247 posts, read 22,606,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstan-dan View Post
Its not like there "that" many women who have such strong beliefs about education.
Actually, many of us do have strong beliefs about education and require a partner who has earned a bachelor's degree or higher

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyff67 View Post
It has nothing to do with the degree. It's all about the $$$!
I am actually a civil servant as well. I also own some real estate and make about $150,000. My only debt are my mortgages. I am attractive, no brad Pitt, but good enough. I'm in excellent shape, but when I lived in an expensive neighborhood, I found that I didn't have near enough money, even for the ugly women. The women were in that area looking for the big money. $2-$3hundred K was their minimum. I left that neighborhood and found plenty of beautiful, educated women that had no problem dating me.
So, if your having trouble with the ladies, try a different area of town.
Most of the women looking for money have no desire to work. Find yourself a smart woman with ambition that you can work with in becoming successful.

Honestly, it isn't all about $$$. There are many men who make great livings doing blue collar or roughneck type jobs but that is not the lifestyle that many college educated women care to live. Also, many of the blue collar/roughneck types can be very rough around the edges, narrow minded and very set in their ways. Would a guy who is a oil rig worker or a lumberjack be willing to put on a tuxedo and go to the opera or a art gallery opening? Most likely not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by omaraz View Post
You're just meeting women who are too shallow or narrow minded. When I was in my doctorate program, I met a wonderful girl who has her GED and was going to trade school. Never once did it cross my mind that I wouldn't date her because of her educational level. She was beautiful, smart and knew exactly what she wanted out of life. Keep moving on and you'll find a woman who appreciates you for being you, not for your academic status.
Why are the requirements of the women who prefer educated men any more shallow or narrow minded than the guy who only dates blondes or only dates skinny girls with big boobs? Why is it fine for men to have such restrictions on the types of women that they date but women are supposed to have zero standards?

Old 11-14-2013, 07:29 PM

39,504 posts, read 27,855,537 times
My ex graduated from Cornell University. He has been very humble about his experience. Even he admitted that the university is overrated. I have to admit that I hated college, I went to the University for their sports program. No more, no less. My degree is waste of money and time, and my art degree is not even my passion. I am doing something completely different right now.

I admit that people don't just get accepted in to Ivy league schools or MBA programs or law schools out of pure luck. That takes a tremendous amount of discipline, drive, and commitment. But so called higher education is just not for everybody.

I don't regret my college experience, but I no longer think it is much of a big deal. To me, college experience isn’t just about book smarts. It’s also about being exposed to other ways of thinking, other cultures and other lifestyles. It is also about party hard, enjoying my youth, etc, etc.

I am 28 almost 29 years old right now, and I have NO desires of going back to get an advanced degree. When I think about college, my stomach starts to turn. I am happy with just a Bachelors degree and an art degree.

Many of my girlfriends only want to date men with advanced degree. I don't understand why. I have experienced enough in this life to know that life is unpredictable at best. As long as I am happy right now, who cares about what happens five, ten, twenty years later.

I want somebody good looking, kind, and loves me for me. College degree is just another one of those ridiculous deal breakers. To me at least.

Old 11-14-2013, 07:38 PM

1,276 posts, read 1,783,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1282 View Post
This is kinda a rant but anyway.. So Im a 29 single white male average looks 5'7 brown hair and eyes. Im orginally from Boston and just moved to Dallas because Boston was just too expensive to live. I was in the military been to Iraq twice and saved all my money for a house. So I bought one just outside the Dallas area and have been trying the dating scene. At first it was tough cuz I dont know anyone here but lately Ive had some success. Now most of these women are college educated and the dates go fine. But once we get to the part when they ask where I went to school. I explain to them I dropped out and joined the military everything seems to fall apart and they tell me they want someone like-minded with the same goals. I dont get it. I own my own house, my own car (Acura TL) not cheap, and have no debt besides my house. Not to brag but I have a 401k another one with Edward Jones both about 20k and another 20k in the bank and somehow because I dont have a degree Im not gonna be successful. Im a police officer and make around 60k a year which is pretty good in dallas. Now at first I thought this was just one girl but it has happened to the last three girls I dated. They all want a guy with a degree which I think is overrated but thats just me, I chose a different route. A degree is a great accomplishment but I dont think you need one to be successful. I think Im in better shape than most of the people my age. Anyways whine over.. Think Im overreacting.
Most "college grads" these days can stick that piece of paper they "earned" (yeah right) to their forehead and use in an emergency to wipe their ars with it, when they forget to buy toilet paper, cause that's really all it's worth to most. Buddy, you need to find other women to date. Even if you had your degree, do you think a life with someone so superficial would be fulfilling? You served in the military, you served in Iraq, your life experience FAR exceeds anything these stuck up, worthless, gold digging you know whats could ever dream to experience. Find yourself a real woman bro!

Old 11-14-2013, 07:50 PM

18,247 posts, read 22,606,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskaboy View Post
Most "college grads" these days can stick that piece of paper they "earned" (yeah right) to their forehead and use in an emergency to wipe their ars with it, when they forget to buy toilet paper, cause that's really all it's worth to most. Buddy, you need to find other women to date. Even if you had your degree, do you think a life with someone so superficial would be fulfilling? You served in the military, you served in Iraq, your life experience FAR exceeds anything these stuck up, worthless, gold digging you know whats could ever dream to experience. Find yourself a real woman bro!
And this ^^^ type of attitude, language and truck stop bumper sticker mentality is very unappealing to many educated women.

Old 11-14-2013, 07:53 PM

2,427 posts, read 3,996,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskaboy View Post
Most "college grads" these days can stick that piece of paper they "earned" (yeah right) to their forehead and use in an emergency to wipe their ars with it. [...] you served in the military, you served in Iraq, your life experience FAR exceeds anything these stuck up, worthless
ugh. the anti education bias on this board is disgusting

i'm sorry you have such a large chip on your shoulder but, like service in the military, the academic life can mean a lot of different things to a lot of different people. your utter disdain and dismissal for an institution nearly as old as military service (greeks had hoplites and philosophers) says a lot more about you than it does about modern education

i've met many wonderful scholars who've also served in the military. my father, both his brothers, and one of my closest friends were in the service; like college, some of them benefited from it, others did not. there's nothing inherently incompatible about these ways of living, despite your post

by the time i'm done with my last degree i'll have spent over a decade in various under and post graduate programs. i love to study and i love to teach. my favorite part is teaching young men and women who, like i did, see college as a way to better themselves and make their family proud. is it reasonable to think i'll probably be happiest with a partner who can relate to at least four years of this path in life? of course it is. i'm sure many women feel likewise

clearly my path is a bit atypical, but it's certainly more reasonable than the drivel i quoted above. you're the one who needs to wipe your "ars" because it seems to be getting on your keyboard

Last edited by OdysseusNY; 11-14-2013 at 08:10 PM..

Old 11-14-2013, 07:57 PM

1,276 posts, read 1,783,386 times
Quote:
And this ^^^ type of attitude, language and truck stop bumper sticker mentality is very unappealing to many educated women.
Bumper sticker mentality? I wrote a paragraph, you wrote a sentence? Go figure. I graduated from school and used none of it to evolve to where I am today. I acquired a strong work ethic and business mind from my upbringing, genetics, and the many hard times I had to overcome early in life. I was not fed by a silver spoon as I suspect most of these so-called educated women this OP is finding.

I walk in a room and I'm appealing to most women there. It's my choice to ruin it or not!

If I take an interest in any of these women and I get the slightest inclination I'm at a, "job interview" trust me, the next word out of my mouth, is, NEXT.

Now there are some bumper sticker type slogans for ya!

Old 11-14-2013, 07:58 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,184,991 times
Quote:

Would a guy who is a oil rig worker or a lumberjack be willing to put on a tuxedo and go to the opera or a art gallery opening? Most likely not.

A lot of ignorant generalizations from somebody who's supposed to be "educated".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships