Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2015, 08:06 PM

1,418 posts, read 1,273,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommie789 View Post
Yes there are several people in my classes who are 30.
Even older than 30? Like 31-35?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2015, 08:43 PM

3,349 posts, read 2,860,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MogwaiLover217 View Post
yes, even a 50 year old.

Old 02-09-2015, 11:22 AM

2,209 posts, read 2,335,763 times
Quote:
College is not only for the typical 18-25-year-old person. Atypical college students make up a size able chunk (I would guess) of most college campuses.

Old 02-09-2015, 12:02 PM

33,052 posts, read 36,694,353 times
Quote:
My sister went back to school in her forties so that she could launch her third career.

There's nothing strange about it.

Old 02-09-2015, 12:37 PM

33 posts, read 28,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1282 View Post
This is kinda a rant but anyway.. So Im a 29 single white male average looks 5'7 brown hair and eyes. Im orginally from Boston and just moved to Dallas because Boston was just too expensive to live. I was in the military been to Iraq twice and saved all my money for a house. So I bought one just outside the Dallas area and have been trying the dating scene. At first it was tough cuz I dont know anyone here but lately Ive had some success. Now most of these women are college educated and the dates go fine. But once we get to the part when they ask where I went to school. I explain to them I dropped out and joined the military everything seems to fall apart and they tell me they want someone like-minded with the same goals. I dont get it. I own my own house, my own car (Acura TL) not cheap, and have no debt besides my house. Not to brag but I have a 401k another one with Edward Jones both about 20k and another 20k in the bank and somehow because I dont have a degree Im not gonna be successful. Im a police officer and make around 60k a year which is pretty good in dallas. Now at first I thought this was just one girl but it has happened to the last three girls I dated. They all want a guy with a degree which I think is overrated but thats just me, I chose a different route. A degree is a great accomplishment but I dont think you need one to be successful. I think Im in better shape than most of the people my age. Anyways whine over.. Think Im overreacting.
the girls don t know what they re missing...don tlose hope, your soul is beyond any degree.

Old 02-09-2015, 01:54 PM

29,870 posts, read 14,913,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace_TX View Post
some women just will never learn

the women you described in 2011 still exist and they are pushing 40 with no man or kids and they are growing angry

a degree is a piece of paper, the only reason someone goes for a degree is because it gives you an OPTION, and with options there is a *POSSIBILITY* to make decent money (so the endgame is always about money)

a general 4-yr degree never guarantees you anything though... plenty of people have degrees and they find themselves making a living selling cars or working in retail etc... it doesnt matter

if a person has figured out a way to accumulate a house and does decent financially, why the hell does he/she need a certificate from a college/university?

i guess you really cant fault these women, they have been influenced by the media and other angry single women

Well stated and so true.

Old 02-09-2015, 02:22 PM

1,921 posts, read 1,749,718 times
First of all, you were in the army and you served the country which is a brave achievement. Don't be ashamed of your path. You chose a path most people don't chose for whatever reason. You're courageous. I think you should be proud of yourself. Pick yourself up, keep trying to meet women in different places.

I once dated a college drop out.

He used to be quite popular back in college and girls liked him. Once he dropped out of college and started a dead-end job, his popularity significantly dropped to the point where none of his former college mates wanted anything to do with him. All those girls who wanted to date him vanished and he was only left with the "friendship" of his co-workers.

He went to rich kids' schools. It somehow makes sense that these girls wouldn't want anything to do with him because everything is based on status.

Then we met ... I was the girl enrolled in a very selective program at a top college and well, he was the drop out. It didn't prevent me from thinking he was the most handsome, charming, intelligent man I had ever met. My heart dropped instantly when I first met him. I only knew his name and I thought to myself "He's the one" (I was young and naive). Then he told me about his career path and although I would have normally turned him down based on this sole factor, I didn't because I knew we could have a strong connection. We did. He was the most stimulating guy I had ever "dated".

It took me a long time to get over him after he dumped me because he thought I was "too uptight" and "brainy". He didn't like the fact that I "thought" too much because he didn't like to "think". He even called me "slow". It was shocking to me because no guy had ever complained about my brains, on the very contrary.

Now he's back to his home state and he has yet to find a girl who wants him. I think part of the reason is because he's a drop out but most importantly, it is he's just a sucky human being. He doesn't deserve to be with anyone unless she's like him.

Moral of the story: College degrees do matter to some people but when a connection is real, these sort of details are thrown out of the window. You're not dating a resume after all.

I think you need to try and meet girls outside of your comfort zone. The connection can sometimes be so overwhelming to the point where the girl doesn't care about your social background or achievements. If you are a decent individual with a nice personality, I don't see why you'd end up single.

Charity events, volunteering, painting/dancing classes, sporting events, night classes ... There are tons and tons of places where you can meet women. Don't let a couple of bad experiences shatter your hope in love. Every decent individual deserves a shot at love regardless of their social background.

Old 02-11-2015, 08:45 AM

37 posts, read 87,241 times
I realize this is an old thread and the guy in question is probably dating or even married to a great girl by now but I thought I would offer my perspective on it. I met my now husband when I was 26 and he was 29 (also name Steve) on an internet setup as well. When we met in person he told me he had a B.S in mechanical engineering and had a job at a local company so i figured he must make pretty good money, not that I care too much about that. I have a B.A in Business Administration and a decent salary but I am not currently using my degree, wasn't then and still am not, but at least I have a decent job I guess. Anyways on our second date he said "did I mention I was also in the army and served in Korea and Iraq?" No you did not and I was thinking to myself you should have lead with that. At that moment I liked him so much more and was much more impressed and proud of the fact that he had served our country then having went to college. While I liked the fact that he had a degree and a good job it's not a requirement. If he had told me he works hard at a construction company and had no degree I would have liked him anyway. Plus I had always had a thing for military men anyway so that helped a lot.

Old 03-18-2015, 05:02 PM

1,418 posts, read 1,273,837 times
well many people say that in this generation, a college education is more required and mandatory than ever in order to get hired at a job that provides long-term financial stability, a job that pays well above minimum-wage, they say like 15 or 20 years ago a person could get by in life by just having a high school diploma, but not so much today.

Old 03-18-2015, 06:30 PM

432 posts, read 363,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1282 View Post
This is kinda a rant but anyway.. So Im a 29 single white male average looks 5'7 brown hair and eyes. Im orginally from Boston and just moved to Dallas because Boston was just too expensive to live. I was in the military been to Iraq twice and saved all my money for a house. So I bought one just outside the Dallas area and have been trying the dating scene. At first it was tough cuz I dont know anyone here but lately Ive had some success. Now most of these women are college educated and the dates go fine. But once we get to the part when they ask where I went to school. I explain to them I dropped out and joined the military everything seems to fall apart and they tell me they want someone like-minded with the same goals. I dont get it. I own my own house, my own car (Acura TL) not cheap, and have no debt besides my house. Not to brag but I have a 401k another one with Edward Jones both about 20k and another 20k in the bank and somehow because I dont have a degree Im not gonna be successful. Im a police officer and make around 60k a year which is pretty good in dallas. Now at first I thought this was just one girl but it has happened to the last three girls I dated. They all want a guy with a degree which I think is overrated but thats just me, I chose a different route. A degree is a great accomplishment but I dont think you need one to be successful. I think Im in better shape than most of the people my age. Anyways whine over.. Think Im overreacting.
Thank you for serving our country.

But sadly, the dating scene is going to give you A LOT of upsets. Why? Because the quality of people have plummeted in the last decade. Those girls who are asking about your "degree" are ones you shouldn't even be dating in the first place, it's basically asking "how much do you make?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships