Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2013, 10:34 PM

10,349 posts, read 14,070,071 times

Advertisements

I am not totally dead set on only dating women with a college degree, but I won't date someone who doesn't have any sort of post-secondary training, especially one in her late 20s and early 30s. I just won't date someone with no career.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2013, 10:47 AM

855 posts, read 1,389,679 times
Anyone woman or man that doesn't wish to converse with me because I don't have a degree if FULL OF THEMSELVES!

Those holding the snide beliefs that one's social intelligence and the ability to have a decent conversation is predicated on having a college degree need to go back to college themselves.

I find some people with degrees or certificates try and use 6 or 7 dollar words to appear more knowledgeable than others. More often they just sound foolish trying to articulate what they can't enunciate.

Old 11-18-2013, 10:50 AM

41,936 posts, read 37,184,359 times
I've tried to think about whether I'd do this, but the reality is I haven't been in a social situation where I met a woman without at least a bachelors in many many years.

Old 11-18-2013, 03:45 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,687,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1282 View Post
This is kinda a rant but anyway.. So Im a 29 single white male average looks 5'7 brown hair and eyes. Im orginally from Boston and just moved to Dallas because Boston was just too expensive to live. I was in the military been to Iraq twice and saved all my money for a house. So I bought one just outside the Dallas area and have been trying the dating scene. At first it was tough cuz I dont know anyone here but lately Ive had some success. Now most of these women are college educated and the dates go fine. But once we get to the part when they ask where I went to school. I explain to them I dropped out and joined the military everything seems to fall apart and they tell me they want someone like-minded with the same goals. I dont get it. I own my own house, my own car (Acura TL) not cheap, and have no debt besides my house. Not to brag but I have a 401k another one with Edward Jones both about 20k and another 20k in the bank and somehow because I dont have a degree Im not gonna be successful. Im a police officer and make around 60k a year which is pretty good in dallas. Now at first I thought this was just one girl but it has happened to the last three girls I dated. They all want a guy with a degree which I think is overrated but thats just me, I chose a different route. A degree is a great accomplishment but I dont think you need one to be successful. I think Im in better shape than most of the people my age. Anyways whine over.. Think Im overreacting.
I am a woman and I would be perfectly fine with a guy with no degree as long as he is a good worker and ambitious. It sounds like you are. You just haven't met the right lady yet. The right person won't care if you have a degree or not.

Old 11-18-2013, 03:47 PM

5,347 posts, read 7,227,726 times
I'm sorry but people have the right to have their preferences

Old 01-27-2015, 12:18 PM

2,209 posts, read 2,335,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
In general, the "man in uniform" is not very appealing to most women who have college and advanced degrees because those guys are usually a bit rough around the edges and have a blue collar mentality.
Lol. As if a college degree magically elevates a woman's character and ensures that she is some high-class socialite.
Her degree in marketing, or communications, or women's studies really gives her status!

Old 01-27-2015, 09:19 PM

1,418 posts, read 1,273,837 times
probably a sign of income-potential

Old 01-28-2015, 01:45 PM

141 posts, read 161,439 times
People are allowed to have their own set of criteria for a mate, including a college degree. No need to put them down for that.

Old 01-28-2015, 03:12 PM

3,349 posts, read 2,860,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1282 View Post
This is kinda a rant but anyway.. So Im a 29 single white male average looks 5'7 brown hair and eyes. Im orginally from Boston and just moved to Dallas because Boston was just too expensive to live. I was in the military been to Iraq twice and saved all my money for a house. So I bought one just outside the Dallas area and have been trying the dating scene. At first it was tough cuz I dont know anyone here but lately Ive had some success. Now most of these women are college educated and the dates go fine. But once we get to the part when they ask where I went to school. I explain to them I dropped out and joined the military everything seems to fall apart and they tell me they want someone like-minded with the same goals. I dont get it. I own my own house, my own car (Acura TL) not cheap, and have no debt besides my house. Not to brag but I have a 401k another one with Edward Jones both about 20k and another 20k in the bank and somehow because I dont have a degree Im not gonna be successful. Im a police officer and make around 60k a year which is pretty good in dallas. Now at first I thought this was just one girl but it has happened to the last three girls I dated. They all want a guy with a degree which I think is overrated but thats just me, I chose a different route. A degree is a great accomplishment but I dont think you need one to be successful. I think Im in better shape than most of the people my age. Anyways whine over.. Think Im overreacting.
Do you ever think was because you are a cop and veteran?

Old 01-28-2015, 06:55 PM

1,278 posts, read 1,122,798 times
I have a Master's degree but I don't discriminate against guys who don't have a college degree. And I have a ton of respect for people who were in the military so I'd never hold it against someone for doing that instead of going to college.

I can tell you honestly after being in graduate school that I learned more in my career than I did at school and it helped me realize that it's really nothing more than a piece of paper and bragging rights. I mean truly I was kind of disappointed with the experience cause I thought I'd learn some new things that would help me at work. But no, in fact I ended up having to correct the teachers in their assumptions about real world experience because theirs is limited to academia and as we all know, things are very different out in the real world than in a hypothetical school setting.

Anyways, your accomplishments are definitely something to be proud of. So don't settle for someone that won't appreciate that about you. There are women out there who will not be so narrow minded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships