Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2017, 08:34 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,559,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy18 View Post
Online dating has worked well with me and got me my first relationship. If anything, I don't see why some guys bother approaching women in real life seeing that it's bound to end in rejection for the majority of the time. At least on dating sites, you know that women are on there with the common goal of finding a relationship.
Yes and that's the VERY mindset that tends to lead to many getting turned down

And in person if you actually bother to talk to a lady and pay attention to her body language/reactions etc you will know all ^^^^ plus you can tell if the spark, chemistry and so on is there straight away in most cases therefore you'll know if it's got a future or not.

( Not aimed at you but in general )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2017, 08:43 PM

2,822 posts, read 1,934,785 times
Quote:
Online dating has worked well with me and got me my first relationship. If anything, I don't see why some guys bother approaching women in real life seeing that it's bound to end in rejection for the majority of the time. At least on dating sites, you know that women are on there with the common goal of finding a relationship.
It is bound to end in rejecting MOST of the time.

When Wayne Gretzky shot the puck at goalies, his shots were stopped MOST of the time. Yet he still managed to score 894 goals in his career and 122 in the playoffs. It took a combined 5,638 shots to score those 1000+ goals. That's an awful lot of saves that goalies made while stopping his shots. Even these days, it takes Alex Ovechkin to shoot the puck damn near 400 times to score 50 goals. And that's not even including the times he attempts a shot and has it blocked or just completely misses the net.

You miss 100 of the shots you don't take. That's a quote to live by in everything in life, including asking people out.

Old 06-10-2017, 09:04 PM

710 posts, read 586,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runninglikethieves View Post
It is bound to end in rejecting MOST of the time.

When Wayne Gretzky shot the puck at goalies, his shots were stopped MOST of the time. Yet he still managed to score 894 goals in his career and 122 in the playoffs. It took a combined 5,638 shots to score those 1000+ goals. That's an awful lot of saves that goalies made while stopping his shots. Even these days, it takes Alex Ovechkin to shoot the puck damn near 400 times to score 50 goals. And that's not even including the times he attempts a shot and has it blocked or just completely misses the net.

You miss 100 of the shots you don't take. That's a quote to live by in everything in life, including asking people out.
I'd consider approaching if online dating wasn't working for me, but it currently is. I have no interest in doing something that's going to result in failure the majority of the time. I'm also not very attractive either which makes my chances even lower.

Old 06-10-2017, 09:33 PM

2,822 posts, read 1,934,785 times
Quote:
I'd consider approaching if online dating wasn't working for me, but it currently is. I have no interest in doing something that's going to result in failure the majority of the time. I'm also not very attractive either which makes my chances even lower.
A lot of the guys I see out in public with women aren't very attractive either. Just yesterday I saw an extremely overweight and hideous looking guy with an above average woman. The difference between them almost had even me (Who sees this kind of thing ALL the time and you would too if you paid attention) thinking he was paying for this girl to be seen with him.

I feel like I say this every 2 or 3 posts, but I don't think your looks are the problem.

I'm glad OLD is working for you, whatever works for you!

Old 06-10-2017, 10:13 PM

710 posts, read 586,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runninglikethieves View Post
A lot of the guys I see out in public with women aren't very attractive either. Just yesterday I saw an extremely overweight and hideous looking guy with an above average woman. The difference between them almost had even me (Who sees this kind of thing ALL the time and you would too if you paid attention) thinking he was paying for this girl to be seen with him.

I feel like I say this every 2 or 3 posts, but I don't think your looks are the problem.

I'm glad OLD is working for you, whatever works for you!
I'm well aware of the fact that unattractive people can have attractive partners. My ex-girlfriend is a beautiful girl and was way out of my league as far as I'm concerned. Looks do play a part in dating and unattractive people do have it harder in the dating world though, that's just reality. Most couples I see seem to be evenly matched.

Old 06-11-2017, 07:51 AM

15,220 posts, read 10,366,864 times
I've been widowed for almost 7 years now and wasn't really missing being part of a couple but decided to give it a try just to see what type of men are out there these days so a little more than a week ago I joined a dating site. The 2nd person that messaged me interested me and we chatted on the dating site, then in texts, then a phone call and we had our first date Thursday. We are both looking for the same thing in a relationship so it may just work out for us.

I think if people are completely honest about themselves and what they are looking for in a relationship OLD will work but if you are going to lie about your age, height, weight or intentions don't bother.

Old 06-13-2017, 11:30 AM

603 posts, read 575,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bson1257 View Post
It seems like most guys who use online dating will never get a date, even if they message 1000 different girls. If you are not very attractive and have a good paying job, most women wouldn't even bother with you. It seems like a waste of time and money for most guys since women can be extremely selective.
If there is an advantage to online dating it is that everyone there is At least theoretically looking for something.

Old 06-13-2017, 02:24 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,324,652 times
I personally prefer meeting women the old fashioned way.. Too many dangers meeting someone online in my opinion.

Old 06-13-2017, 04:08 PM

2,916 posts, read 3,010,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
Haha...nice.

That's probably not true. There might be a slight plurality of men trolling around dating websites. Who knows. But the real thing to understand is that it probably just SEEMS that way because of how men and women differ in how they size each other up. This is no different that how it is in real life, its just that the relative anonymity of the internet allows people to behave how they really want to behave with relatively few consequences. That is to say, women no matter what they look like will tend to ignore the bottom 80% of the male population and lavish their attention on the top 20% best guys in the pool, because this is the female of species' prerogative on a biological level. She doesn't want a bunch of guys, just the best one. where as the guys will take an approached that roughly mirrors that...the bottom 20% of women will get mostly ignored while the top 80% will get plenty of guys barking up their tree. This of course is the male prerogative. We don't need the BEST woman per se, (which is highly subjective anyway), we want ALL the women. At least the all the women we personally find attractive enough to sleep with.

Truer words have never been spoken.

Women struggle to find THE RIGHT MAN. Men struggle to find A WOMAN.

Old 06-13-2017, 04:14 PM

1,058 posts, read 679,095 times
Alot of women think men are just interested in a bootie call when it comes to online dating
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships