Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If your husband refused to go into the ER with you..
He would be on the couch for a month. 11 22.00%
Time for a divorce. 19 38.00%
He would need a ER when I got back to the car. 17 34.00%
Nothing wrong with him waiting in the car. 8 16.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 07:53 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,085,247 times

Advertisements

Cuts that require stitches and broken bones are not life threatening.....but still require immediate attention at the emergency room if you want a good outcome.

Sore throats, the flu, colds, etc.....can wait for the doctor's office if you are an otherwise healthy individual.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2011, 08:07 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,104,854 times
I don't know...I guess it would really depend on the circumstances.

My husband has never come with me to the ER...ever... and I've been there more than a few times. He only came to my last surgery and actually waited in the waiting room because my doctor said he HAD to be there, otherwise they wouldn't do the surgery. The last few times though he'd just drop me off (or I'd drive myself) and he'd come and pick me up.

We have 4 kids and it's not always easy to find childcare, especially if it's in the middle of the night or very early in the morning and I'd really rather not have them sitting in an ER waiting room.

Old 10-09-2011, 08:36 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,931,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
A lot of it depends on why she went to the emergency room to begin with.

If she was having serious chest pains, shortness of breath and unable to speak or was dizzy, then I would say that he should go in with her. However, if she went to the emergency room because she doesn't have health insurance and she wasn't "feeling well" or had a sore throat or a cold or a temperature under 104 degrees or a non-life threatening injury (like a cut that required less than 20 stitches) or something like that. I wouldn't even have bothered driving her there to begin with.

Emergency rooms are for life-threatening EMERGENCIES.

20yrsinBranson
This is pretty hateful...and if she didn't have health insurance, as a mother of three children ages three and younger, then it's the husband's fault for being a bad provider. But I don't think this thread is about her being insured or uninsured...and the OP said that the woman went in for severe pain in her kidneys...a UTI can cause that and does need prompt treatment.

Getting off topic here, medical care should be a right and not a luxury. And a cut that needs 20 stitches is pretty big...I had surgery that left a 12" scar on my leg and they closed it with 18 stitches.

Old 10-09-2011, 10:34 PM

16,076 posts, read 28,606,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
This is pretty hateful...and if she didn't have health insurance,
As well as schooling on child discipline in Home and Interior Design forum. Talk about attacking another poster. Mean spirited.

Old 10-10-2011, 01:23 AM

7,977 posts, read 7,370,857 times
It is nice to have some moral support. Sometimes the waits in the Emergency Room are long, and if you are ill and in pain, it's good to have your SO be a comforting shoulder there for you. DH gets frequent kidney stone attacks. I always go into the ER and sit with him - and hold his head when he vomits from the pain (once, unfortunately, in the hospital flower bed).

Old 10-10-2011, 06:55 AM

3,966 posts, read 6,875,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fearnofish View Post
My wife if livid and wants to smack him silly. Sometimes you look at a realationship and wonder how it still survives when it is completly one sided. I know when we move in a year if these two are still together that the wife will show up at our house one day with her kids needing somewhere to stay for a while.
I am not one to want a marriage to end usually but this one definatly needs some professional help but the husband is unwilling to see a counselor.

We have known them a while now and know them pretty good. I am usually the first to say the marriage is a two way street and get you what you put in. In this case the problem is him and not something that she has done to deserve it.

No the problem is just as much her because she puts up with it.

Old 10-10-2011, 07:07 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,142,549 times
When we were first together, my husband could not go anywhere near the hospital with me -- his son had died in that hospital ER - and I understood his feelings.

Old 10-10-2011, 11:08 AM

4,098 posts, read 7,117,454 times
While this action by the husband is not good, I see something here even worse. Look how many of you would think of divorce because the husband did something you didn't think was right. You that voted for divorce are pathetic, does that solve all problems? Then you wonder why guys don't want to get married...

Old 10-10-2011, 11:23 AM

819 posts, read 1,131,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
Getting off topic here, medical care should be a right and not a luxury.
1) Anyone can get medical care, you just have to wait a while at the free clinic. People who don't have health insurance should **** and take a book to read while they wait.

2) Rights are granted by God, not the government. If you want better medical care, get a f'n job.

Old 10-10-2011, 03:23 PM

18,270 posts, read 14,463,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Beer View Post
1)

2) Rights are granted by God, not the government..
What? So next time I want to bear arms, I should ask God if it's okay and forget the government and the constitution and the local laws regarding bearing arms?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships