Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 07:38 PM

78 posts, read 81,226 times

Advertisements

I fell in love with an woman visiting the US on a visitor's visa. During her visit as we fell in love I began to get the impression that she was the kind of woman who wouldn't be truly happy if she lived a life without luxury (money, expensive vacations,etc.) even if the guy she was with loved her.

At the time my parents agreed to be the financial sponsor to help me bring her over to the US permanently since there are financial requirements set by the US INS to do such a thing. Without my parents help I would not be able to meet this requirement as a financial sponsor.

Later my parents had a falling out with her and said they wouldn't agree to be the financial sponsor anymore.

She told me it was ok and that we should fight for our love and she could live poor(relatively speaking) if necessary. The only viable option I could see was to move over to another country where she lived to be with her. I guess I could have found some kind of job over there but I had serious concerns that she was fooling herself and wouldn't be completely happy living a life devoid of money/luxury.

She said she would let me decide the fate of our relationship and she would agree with whatever I decided. I decided that we should break up and she should find a man who could make her fully happy (money wise + love). Since I feel she had all the qualifications(beauty, masters degree education, good personality) to find such a man I thought I was doing the noble thing in letting her go. She thought it was just because I didn't love her.

But at the time I really thought I was doing the best thing for her long time interests. Recently I stumbled across her Facebook (right side of facebook page has people you may know) and learned she got married to somebody who is rather well off compared to me financially and his family seems to be well off also. In my mind it validates my decision to let her go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2011, 08:13 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,248,621 times
I don't get it... If she's accustomed to a life of luxury, why in the world would she need a "sponsor" financially?! You have 1 mil, the corporation US of A welcomes you with open arms!

Old 10-11-2011, 08:16 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,570,632 times
I think I would of tried to fight for her as least I would of liked to think I would of. It's tough to know what to do unless your in that same situation. From what you said she did love you maybe she just felt because you gave up then there was no point in fighting to stay together.

Old 10-11-2011, 08:23 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,935,035 times
She was only in it for the money she used you. You are better off finding a woman that really loves you.

Old 10-11-2011, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
I don't get it... If she's accustomed to a life of luxury, why in the world would she need a "sponsor" financially?! You have 1 mil, the corporation US of A welcomes you with open arms!
A lot of people live beyond their means but that doesn't mean they are well off financially.

I have no idea if her mother is financially rich or not (father deceased). But I got this impression based on comments such as she'd like to travel the world. And the items she had with her were mainly brand name designer items.

Old 10-11-2011, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCochino View Post
A lot of people live beyond their means but that doesn't mean they are well off financially.

I have no idea if her mother is financially rich or not (father deceased). But I got this impression based on comments such as she'd like to travel the world. And the items she had with her were mainly brand name designer items.
I think you made the right decision. As tempting as some people may be, when you clearly see you're not on the same page long-term, it's very courageous of you to be able to let them go.

Old 10-11-2011, 08:35 PM

2,725 posts, read 5,196,565 times
You do what you feel is right for you.

Last edited by crisan; 10-11-2011 at 08:44 PM..

Old 10-11-2011, 08:41 PM

1,738 posts, read 846,547 times
I'm going to say that you did the right thing because you need to hear that. Now let it go and find your own happiness.

Old 10-11-2011, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by js1mom View Post
I'm going to say that you did the right thing because you need to hear that. Now let it go and find your own happiness.
Actually I did go out and find my own happiness and got married also. Sorry if it felt like the intention of my initial post was to get pity from people here.

Old 10-11-2011, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCochino View Post
Actually I did go out and find my own happiness and got married also. Sorry if it felt like the intention of my initial post was to get pity from people here.
Well, maybe not pity, but to register on a forum in order to post just this specific thread indicates you still have unresolved feelings for this person...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships