Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2011, 11:47 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,201,945 times

Advertisements

A lot of people never get married. If you like things the way they are, don't fix what is not broken.

I cannot see myself getting married mainly because I don't want children and I don't want to share my living space with anyone.

I, like you, enjoy my single lifestyle. I meet plenty of women that just want to date, that works for me too.

I'm 37 and have biz ventures I am working and other hobbies that I'd lie to pursur. Marriage just never was of any interest to me.

Enjoy yourself as long as you can.

Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
I am 34, single, no kids. never married, actually, I have no desire to get married anytime soon. I am in a much better financial situation than most of my friends who are married, I don't have any kids, I can hook up with as many women as I choose to and I can pretty much do whatever I want.

I am truly enjoying my life being single, I have been traveling almost every other weekend, and although I am still not where I want to be, financially, I feel like, as long as I don't get married and don't have kids, I will be able to afford most of the things that I want.

For a guy like me, it is really hard to see any benefit in getting married, especially at my age. Although, I can't say that I will never marry, I feel like it would be wise to enjoy my single lifestyle until I am about 50.

Once again, I don't understand why any guy in my situation would want to get married, but I would love to hear some of the benefits of getting married, if any.

Last edited by Ron.; 10-16-2011 at 12:21 AM..

Old 10-15-2011, 11:51 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,790,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydive Outlaw View Post
Yeah, cool. . . .

Get married when you are 50. So, for example if you are a guy and she is at that time 48, then you get what is left of her after she spent the previous 30 years having sex with other guys. A real prize, and she might already have reached menopause. Wow, great idea.
If all you're looking for in a mate is a hymen, they have sex toys that can suit your needs. Most people don't consider a life lived to its fullest a negative.

Quote:
If from the point of marriage, you each spent a decade together before one of you dies, you will have all of those amazing memories of being old and spending them with someone you married. . . . at the age of 50.

Yeah, just what I want. A spouse that has lived over 70% of her life, and probably the best years prior to meeting me and getting married.
Erm, do you plan on dying at 60? That's pretty young. You don't disintegrate into a wheelchair at the age of 50, the highlight of your day when the nurse comes around to change your diaper and feed you applesauce. I hope to marry well before 50 but I expect to live happily after that landmark birthday as well.

Old 10-16-2011, 12:00 AM

3,016 posts, read 3,916,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post

Erm, do you plan on dying at 60? That's pretty young. You don't disintegrate into a wheelchair at the age of 50, the highlight of your day when the nurse comes around to change your diaper and feed you applesauce. I hope to marry well before 50 but I expect to live happily after that landmark birthday as well.
It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. I've managed to make the last three decades seem like sixty years
and no, I'm not looking forward to one day reaching 50.

I can't imagine being able to do even half of what I include in my life
now at that point, and that includes women.

For those of you that want to hit 50 - have fun at the golf course, reading AARP and gardening.

Old 10-16-2011, 12:13 AM

6,143 posts, read 7,566,869 times
Do what you want when you want.

However, this notion that getting married automatically means you will be ruined financially is more than a bit silly. Find someone who has her own career and income and doesn't need or want to spend yours.

I turned 30 last month and just got married last week. I am glad I didn't get married any younger.

Old 10-16-2011, 12:54 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,160,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by free beer View Post
you should get married if you want to have children. Otherwise, there's no point.

+1

Old 10-16-2011, 01:06 AM

351 posts, read 538,504 times
Well, here are a few things I'll throw out there, and then wait for the men-bashers to arrive.

1) You sound like you are driven and motivated to be financially successful, so by the time you are 50 you will probably be doing very well for yourself, especially if you are savvy enough to avoid having any women related set-backs (unplanned pregnancies, allegations of rape or abuse lodged against you, swindlers, etc., etc.).

Anybody who thinks a well-heeled 50 year old guy won't be able to land a very appealing 30 year old is just clueless. Utterly clueless. Not even a concern at all.

2) Although it is nice to spend as many years as possible with the "love of one's life" (if you are so lucky as to find someone that fits that description), rushing marriage or settling, thereby getting married to the wrong person can be (and usually is) a HUGE disaster, a much, much bigger disaster than having a life of just dating and enjoying your hobbies in peace.

3) In response to some of the posters here who are citing children as a reason to marry, I offer this. Like single women, single men can adopt children. There are thousands and thousands of lovable children who could benefit from being raised in a financially stable and loving home. So don't think for a minute that just because you don't marry, you can't enjoy having children to love and care for..

Furthermore, and this is big, without a mother/wife in the picture, you will never be faced with the rather unpleasant (gross understatement) prospect of losing your children. Nor will you ever be faced with the prospect of having to forfeit a substantial amount of your savings to fight for your children. In addition, as a well-heeled guy you will be able to afford to have a live-in nanny to assist you with raising your children, all without the risk of having the live-in nanny ever ruin your life with a miserable divorce and/or custody battle.

I am almost 50 and I run three businesses. I am raising my young daughter by myself with the assistance of a live-in nanny and a live-in cook/maid, and I couldn't be happier. My home is peaceful and very clean, and my daughter is (finally) enjoying a very nice life with just her dad.

Last edited by QuickStudy178; 10-16-2011 at 01:50 AM..

Old 10-16-2011, 01:46 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,316,173 times
Quote:
It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. I've managed to make the last three decades seem like sixty years
and no, I'm not looking forward to one day reaching 50.

I can't imagine being able to do even half of what I include in my life
now at that point, and that includes women.

For those of you that want to hit 50 - have fun at the golf course, reading AARP and gardening.
Oh please, I'm almost 60 and I travel throughout the world, live in Europe, spent last week camping around the Loire Valley.
I have an active and fun sex life.
50 is not dead; yet 30 year olds can act as if it is.
You're as young, or old, as you feel.

You'll make it to 50 or 60 or older one day, it's inevitable; unless you're dead.

Old 10-16-2011, 01:47 AM

8,515 posts, read 16,201,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Oh please, I'm almost 60 and I travel throughout the world, live in Europe, spent last week camping around the Loire Valley. I have an active and fun sex life.
50 is not dead; yet 30 year olds can act as if it is.
You're as young, or old, as you feel.

You'll make it to 50 or 60 or older one day, it's inevitable; unless you're dead.
Damn good post...........Ron

Old 10-16-2011, 01:55 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,924,731 times
OP, there's no point in getting married unless you want kids. What you must realize is that marriage is nothing more than financial contract and an institution that was developed for the primary purpose of raising children in a stable environment. Things like love, companionship, sex, friendship, etc. can all be had without being married. In fact, most of my married friends have less sex than my single friends. Why? Because most women stop trying to please their man once they marry and definitely once they have children and become consumed by them.

Personally, I have no desire to get married (although I feel obligated to have at least one kid); especially with so many women available (in the US, overseas, online, etc). My parents have been married for about 30 years, but neither one seems all that happy and they probably only stay together because it's easier than getting a divorce at this point.

Last edited by bicoastal10; 10-16-2011 at 02:07 AM..

Old 10-16-2011, 02:10 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,316,173 times
Marriage provides tax breaks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships