Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2018, 10:41 AM

20,369 posts, read 14,644,040 times

Advertisements

When I see stuff like this, I just think, "You know, nobody ever asked me this question for any survey." And then I look around me, and I wonder, has anyone, out of the hundreds of friends, family and acquaintances I have connections to, been asked? You? You? No?

So who was asked? And are they a good representative group that one could then extrapolate their answers to speak for society?

I love how some "studies" are done by polling college students for various things. As though people of that very specific demographic could be expected to accurately represent everyone.

I also do not believe that society is in moral decline. I think that society is redefining moral behavior. I don't necessarily believe that's a bad thing. There was a time when it was pretty normal for a man to beat his wife and kids and no one talked about it, and even if the whole town knew, they might still think he was an upstanding citizen of perfectly fine moral character. I don't think that "we have the decency to not talk about bad things, and to pretend they don't exist" is in fact a good measure of whether "society" is more or less morally proper. Things are changing, and growing pains are probably normal. I don't feel like I'm surrounded with morally bankrupt lowlifes, I know lots of people who treat others well, and step up when someone needs help, and who seem to have decent ethics. I've seen nothing to indicate to me that more people are inclined to cheat now, than ever.

If ANYTHING, maybe more people will admit it now, than in times past when people felt more need to pretend to be more righteous and good than they really are. ?? But I remain skeptical of this statistic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2018, 10:45 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,943,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
When I see stuff like this, I just think, "You know, nobody ever asked me this question for any survey." And then I look around me, and I wonder, has anyone, out of the hundreds of friends, family and acquaintances I have connections to, been asked? You? You? No?

So who was asked? And are they a good representative group that one could then extrapolate their answers to speak for society?

Well, if it is solid research, published in peer reviewed journals, there will be a material and methods section (or similarly names depending on the discipline) that describes exactly how this is done. One can get very good (aka statistically confident results) from small samples sizes if certain conditions are met.

That said, we have no idea where the OP data comes from as there is no citations, so, yeah, I don't really put any stock in these particular numbers.

Old 04-30-2018, 10:57 AM

52,221 posts, read 52,642,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post

I love how some "studies" are done by polling college students for various things. As though people of that very specific demographic could be expected to accurately represent everyone.

I also do not believe that society is in moral decline. I think that society is redefining moral behavior. I don't necessarily believe that's a bad thing. There was a time when it was pretty normal for a man to beat his wife and kids and no one talked about it, and even if the whole town knew, they might still think he was an upstanding citizen of perfectly fine moral character. I don't think that "we have the decency to not talk about bad things, and to pretend they don't exist" is in fact a good measure of whether "society" is more or less morally proper. Things are changing, and growing pains are probably normal. I don't feel like I'm surrounded with morally bankrupt lowlifes, I know lots of people who treat others well, and step up when someone needs help, and who seem to have decent ethics. I've seen nothing to indicate to me that more people are inclined to cheat now, than ever.

If ANYTHING, maybe more people will admit it now, than in times past when people felt more need to pretend to be more righteous and good than they really are. ?? But I remain skeptical of this statistic.

Polling could mean anything as simple and basic as just asking people on college campuses about a given subject. I would tend to be suspect of "studies" at first glance. Studies can be swayed depending how a question is presented.

People are surprisingly stupid in ways that sorta scare me a bit. Was flipping around TV one day and came across a guy on the streets in Manhattan asking people basic questions of things that people should have at least a periphery understanding of. Things like where was the Vietnam war fought and what country was America struggling to gain it's independence from. Some people actually said "Korea" and "France" I mean good lordy. I don't claim to be the brightest guy in the room and all but man.

So.... depending on the polling process and data who knows what is actually what with these numbers.

Old 04-30-2018, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Well, if it is solid research, published in peer reviewed journals, there will be a material and methods section (or similarly names depending on the discipline) that describes exactly how this is done. One can get very good (aka statistically confident results) from small samples sizes if certain conditions are met.

That said, we have no idea where the OP data comes from as there is no citations, so, yeah, I don't really put any stock in these particular numbers.
I just remember, before clickbait was such a ubiquitous presence in our lives, seeing magazine headlines with things like "~Studies show, blah, ~may~ lead to blah, in ~up to~ X% of cases" and I remember noticing the squirrelly language. "Studies?" How many? How big? Then you read the article (if you have time to waste) and like they polled 100 college kids. Uh huh. Studies. Then the "may." Yeah, ya stop real short of saying it does lead to whatever, don't ya. Correlation equal causation? We can suggest it, but we can't outright say it. Mm hm. And then "up to X%" ...up to. That's like, "Save up to 70%!" when almost all the stuff is only marked down 20%...well, it was UP TO 70%, we might have exaggerated, but we didn't lie!

So ages ago I was all "gimme a break with this nonsense" and that's only worse now that it's all over the internets.

Old 04-30-2018, 08:03 PM

814 posts, read 759,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Polling could mean anything as simple and basic as just asking people on college campuses about a given subject. I would tend to be suspect of "studies" at first glance. Studies can be swayed depending how a question is presented.

People are surprisingly stupid in ways that sorta scare me a bit. Was flipping around TV one day and came across a guy on the streets in Manhattan asking people basic questions of things that people should have at least a periphery understanding of. Things like where was the Vietnam war fought and what country was America struggling to gain it's independence from. Some people actually said "Korea" and "France" I mean good lordy. I don't claim to be the brightest guy in the room and all but man.

So.... depending on the polling process and data who knows what is actually what with these numbers.
American history class was a long time ago, about 15 years for me. Now I know the answers to both questions because all of the veitnam war movies filmed in the jungle. The other I know because of the most recent NWA movie when someone was referred to as Benedict Arnold. I was curious and googled the name and read that he betrayed the US for the British. Had I not done that, I would've had to think for a minute, France gave us the statue, it had to be the British

Old 04-30-2018, 08:05 PM

9,373 posts, read 6,970,381 times
I don't understand the purpose of cheating.... If you want to sleep around then don't be in a monogamous relationship; it's pretty simple. Why do people get a thrill from being in a committed relationship and then cheating if they can get away with it? I guess they just don't have any self pride.

Old 05-03-2018, 01:04 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,910,758 times
The womens number is only lower because women in general are not as interested in sex. Yes, I think the number is probably close. Imho, only about 10-15% of marriages are happy.

Old 05-03-2018, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
The womens number is only lower because women in general are not as interested in sex. Yes, I think the number is probably close. Imho, only about 10-15% of marriages are happy.
I don't think that it's quite correct to say that women are not as interested in sex, just...as a blanket statement. I think that women's interest in sex could be more CONDITIONAL with a lot of factors involved, just as our attraction psychology can be more complex and variable at times.

But even getting past initial attraction questions and into relationships, women can be put off sex by a lot of potential factors. Men, too, but as far as I'm aware, age plays more of a role for them. Some guys seem to lose interest as they get older. And of course there's also a matter of confidence...if a man loses his confidence, his mojo, so to speak, his interest in sex may decline.

But when all of the stars are aligned and a woman's conditions are met, that same woman (hello!) who used to think she could totally live without sex, absolutely craves it all the time. In a toxic relationship where I didn't feel safe emotionally? I lost all interest in sex. He figured if I didn't want it with him, I had to want it with someone else, and that just was NOT the case. I totally flatlined on it, across the board. It was the furthest thing from my mind. But as soon as that relationship was over, and I started "getting out there" with partners where I didn't feel like any weakness would be used as a weapon against me, where I could let the walls down? Man. Let's just say the more fun I have, the more I want.

Old 05-03-2018, 01:39 PM

8,923 posts, read 7,717,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
I don't understand the purpose of cheating.... If you want to sleep around then don't be in a monogamous relationship; it's pretty simple. Why do people get a thrill from being in a committed relationship and then cheating if they can get away with it? I guess they just don't have any self pride.
Sometimes it's as simple as that and other times it's not.

Some people cheat because they don't know how to control themselves.
Some cheat because they don't know how to talk to their partners.
Others do it because they like certain comforts of that relationship but find emotional/sexual solace elsewhere.
Etc. Etc.

Doesn't make it right and I personally can't stand it. But I understand it's not always black and white.

Old 05-03-2018, 02:17 PM

10,930 posts, read 11,719,651 times
Some other reasons women cheat:

To get confirmation that they still are desirable.

To put emotional distance between themselves and their partner - unbonding.

To get revenge on a cheating partner (show and tell).

Lousy partner sex.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships