Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 05:40 AM

3,440 posts, read 5,718,740 times

Advertisements

How come women stereotype and many times put a guy in creep status unless he proves himself?

I notice that in America, women act like a guy is a creep unless he has a degree.

I have a degree myself and have noticed that women will force you to prove yourself worthy to be on equal footing with them.

I see this a lot among younger women who will treat a guy like he's nothing until he proves himself with a degree or other assets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2011, 05:47 AM

15,714 posts, read 21,073,381 times
Hmmm, never saw this. None of the women I know judge a person based on the degree they hold.

Maybe you are hanging out with the wrong crowd.

Old 11-11-2011, 05:49 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,364,652 times
I never treat anyone that way, man or woman.

I have actually had a relationship with two PhD's and I much prefer my blue collar man, while he is in management, I still much prefer him.

Old 11-11-2011, 05:52 AM

1,223 posts, read 1,688,601 times
Because they (anyone with an agenda) will sell you this "Rose colored glasses" idea that beauty is what's on the inside that counts, and you are judged by what type of person you are, and not necessarily the clothes you wear, the car you drive, or the money in your bank account. In the real world the material makes the first impression and the rest comes later. Oh yeah nice guys do finish last and therefore you have to know how to stand up for yourself without being a doormat.

Old 11-11-2011, 06:22 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,196,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Jack22 View Post
How come women stereotype and many times put a guy in creep status unless he proves himself?

I notice that in America, women act like a guy is a creep unless he has a degree.

I have a degree myself and have noticed that women will force you to prove yourself worthy to be on equal footing with them.

I see this a lot among younger women who will treat a guy like he's nothing until he proves himself with a degree or other assets.
American women, eh? All of us? Most of us? A minority of us? I don't think degrees have much to do with it. There are plenty of guys with degrees who are creeps and plenty without who aren't creeps.

Old 11-11-2011, 06:30 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,364,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
American women, eh? All of us? Most of us? A minority of us? I don't think degrees have much to do with it. There are plenty of guys with degrees who are creeps and plenty without who aren't creeps.
Could not agree more...

Old 11-11-2011, 06:50 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Everybody has criteria and preferences. Some women may not give you the time of day if you aren't a white collar professional. Or have a degree. Or are tall, or are athletic. Or throw around platinum charge cards. None of which preclude a guy from being a creep, of course. Others aren't that way, and their criteria has more to do with behavior or other personal characteristics. But everyone's got their lines in the sand.

Old 11-11-2011, 06:56 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times
Quote:

PSST! Don't look now but you just stereotyped women.

Old 11-11-2011, 07:08 AM

3,688 posts, read 5,014,468 times
There is a yes-and-no aspect to this.

And what's more, I've come to honestly suspect that some of this is REGIONAL, and it's why often in these forums (and outside them) we seem to have a great deal of difficulty in agreeing upon what men or women "actually do".

I know what I've seen women do during different periods, and I'm old enough to look back on many things and evaluate the difference between what I THOUGHT I was seeing versus what was actually happening.

Sometimes it's in their favour and I have to realize I was just being an immature, angry young man who was upset because things weren't going his way.

Other times... nuh-uh, they really WERE being labeling, or sexist, or [insert negative action here].

Times change and society goes through various permutations. Some are temporary in the larger scheme, others come and go, repeating with each generation before fading, only to return as the next up-and-comers hit that period in their collective life where they're questioning the same sorts of things and perceiving them with the same egocentric and logical fallacies we did... and our parents did before us... and so on.

When a guy stops and asks a question such as "How come WOMEN do such-and-such?" these days I encourage him to pause and take a step back, really ASK himself very honestly:

What percentage of women you know, associate with on any level whether work or social, ACTUALLY do the negative things about which you're asking? Because once you really do take an honest look, you're going to realize that it's a SMALL percentage (not tiny-to-the-point-of-nonexistence, sorry ladies, you DON'T get off that easily and you need to rein some of these gals in the same as you expect men to rein in our bad boys) who merely seem to get the attention because A) they're doing wrong, and B) they're extremely vociferous.

Example?

A thousand people a day near you do some kind of good deed, whether large or small. You have NO idea who they are.

You know who the Unabomber is.

"Oh, come on Sasquatch; that's DIFFERENT!"

Is it? Is it really? The squeaky wheel gets the oil. The emotion-evoking individual gets the memory.

I recall an incident many years ago where I was walking up to a table of acquaintances and friends and as I sat, noticed someone new in the group. As introductions were made, she asked me (college-age crowd) "Does it bother you that I'm a lesbian?"

She was clearly young enough that shock value and her personal "cause" were important and in her mind's eye, wave-making.

And yet she was genuinely appalled and became conversationally angry, pushy, very socio-political in an adverse way when I responded "Does it bother you that I'm not?"

Point: I really don't remember any of the normal, pleasant conversation that went on that night with other people. I surely DO remember that witch.

A whole slew of women can tell me all the live-long day about all the horrible things men have said to them and their friends. They actually have to stop and THINK, the topic has to be actively brought up ere they can tell me about JUST AS MANY NICE things men in their lives have done for them/to them/with them.

It's really easy to get in the habit of focusing on the negative; after all, you never really pause to think about the good stuff unless it's inordinately good; but even a small splinter or ache or pain really gets your attention, even if it's not much trouble at all.

Think on when you last told someone about a pleasant, sunny day and how much descriptive power went into it. Very likely something akin to "It was a nice day. The sun was shining and there was a nice breeze."

Then think on the last time you described BAD weather to someone, and what likely went into that. I daresay it was significantly more description filled with detail, passion of some sort, loads of adjectives or adjectival repetitions for emphasis... and so on.

It's human nature, this tendency. Try not to be slave to human nature and instead try to find the path of your own nature. Focus less on the women who are your enemies, holding an enemy status of their own choosing and deed. Try instead to be your own man and focus on the woman who are NOT your enemies, who are just other people with their own doubts, questions, tragedies and triumphs and above all, NEEDS; women who are people making their way as well as they can, same as you.

Spending all your time seeing the negative is a form of practice; and practice makes perfect, so that the good is soon excluded from your view.

Old 11-11-2011, 07:23 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,713,966 times
Quote:

Well if they are looking for someone to spend a long time with and not just a roll in the hay whats wrong with that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships