Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 10:28 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,215,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by unseengundam View Post
Most of my life I did not pay too much attention to girls. Most of high school and all of college I was quite busy studying. Also, I considered myself fairly shy to actually approach girls. Back then I remember my parents thought it was great I wasn't getting distracted by girls!

Now I am 26 years old, got a good job and bought a house awhile back. Recently, both my parents have started talking about girls to me. My mother is a traditional Asian, I know for sure she wants me married to girl from her country sometime in the future. And my dad was telling me he can't believe he has to tell his son go chase after girls...

Supposedly in the future the next stage of my life is to find girl to marry and start a family according my parents and a of lot people I know. Honestly, I don't see the point of getting married or having a family. Often, I think guys are crazy to actually get married! Probably, the main reason I might start putting effort to go after girls is because I want to have sex with them.

I could straight out tell both parents only reason I would chase girls is for sex, but I am 100% sure it won't go over to well. I know then would want lecture about why marriage/family is good thing and sleeping around isn't. I guess I could continue with my delaying tactic and tell OK I am considering it.

Any suggestion how to deal with my parents? A way get them to see marriage is a horrible idea would even better!
Put up and do it then, chase some ladies, you seem to be at a position where you can attract some ladies... stable,homeowner,decent looking?

Don't go into every relationship with the expectation of forever... live some and do some one night stands (with protection/sanity of course)

You are 26, live some.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2012, 10:31 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,372,399 times
I think that traditionally it sort of is time to be thinking of it, and possibly this is why they were happy you spent your time on schooling, etc.

I am wondering if you are an only child or only son, or what is called a soul surviving son? Are you the last male child to carry on your family name?

I know that has nothing to do with anything and I know my answer differs from the rest I have read.

As a thirty-eight year old female whose children are just about grown, I did not want to be alone. I know that for sure. I have a wonderful man as my SO and would love to spend the rest of my life with him, and not alone....

I think as we get a little older, that is another thing we think of.

Just tell your parents you are not ready for a serious relationship and you are focused on your career.

Old 01-12-2012, 11:21 AM

2,068 posts, read 4,338,653 times
Quote:
Most of my life I did not pay too much attention to girls. Most of high school and all of college I was quite busy studying. Also, I considered myself fairly shy to actually approach girls. Back then I remember my parents thought it was great I wasn't getting distracted by girls!

Now I am 26 years old, got a good job and bought a house awhile back. Recently, both my parents have started talking about girls to me. My mother is a traditional Asian, I know for sure she wants me married to girl from her country sometime in the future. And my dad was telling me he can't believe he has to tell his son go chase after girls...

Supposedly in the future the next stage of my life is to find girl to marry and start a family according my parents and a of lot people I know. Honestly, I don't see the point of getting married or having a family. Often, I think guys are crazy to actually get married! Probably, the main reason I might start putting effort to go after girls is because I want to have sex with them.

I could straight out tell both parents only reason I would chase girls is for sex, but I am 100% sure it won't go over to well. I know then would want lecture about why marriage/family is good thing and sleeping around isn't. I guess I could continue with my delaying tactic and tell OK I am considering it.

Any suggestion how to deal with my parents? A way get them to see marriage is a horrible idea would even better!
Well you don't live with your parents ergo what you do they don't know. Bang a lot of chicks if that's what makes you happy but be forewarned you'll eventually bang the one you'll fall for and then you'll understand marriage and love and all the "stuff"

Old 01-12-2012, 11:57 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,555,737 times
Quote:

Just tell them how you feel and remind them you are 26, an adult. Depending on how important is your relationship with them and how much it bothers you for them to tell you about, you may consider that anytime they bring up the subject you will just get up and leave. It is up to them what is more important to them, to see your or to bug you about it. Take care.

Old 01-12-2012, 12:36 PM

348 posts, read 550,114 times
Quote:
Most of my life I did not pay too much attention to girls. Most of high school and all of college I was quite busy studying. Also, I considered myself fairly shy to actually approach girls. Back then I remember my parents thought it was great I wasn't getting distracted by girls...

I went through something somewhat similar.

When I was a teenager/college, my parents couldn't give a crap about my social life and told me to only focus on school. Now, until recently, they would only annoy the **** out of me about getting married. The irony is I feel like saying 'so when I needed some sort of emotional support, you treated me like a robot, but now that I am grown and can make my own decisions you want to give me stupid and antiquated advice about my personal life?'

My advice...don't shun marriage, you may meet the right girl. But otherwise, do what you want. You're a grown man and it is completely obnoxious for other people, no matter who they are or their intentions, to involve themselves in such a manner.

Old 01-12-2012, 01:06 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,487,957 times
Your parents are selfishly thinking of grandchildren. Or they are worried about your sexual orientation. Tell them to back off unless they want a stripper from the Lion's Den over for Sunday dinner.

Old 01-12-2012, 04:58 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,966,310 times
Quote:

They want grandchildren..

Old 01-12-2012, 05:04 PM

114 posts, read 214,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetlilac View Post
Future TVSG in the making.
What does that mean?

Old 01-13-2012, 08:35 AM

3,437 posts, read 6,076,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatGarfield View Post
What does that mean?
Read some of TVandSportsGuy's posts and you will see the light.

Old 01-14-2012, 06:30 PM

673 posts, read 3,091,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
I think that traditionally it sort of is time to be thinking of it, and possibly this is why they were happy you spent your time on schooling, etc.

I am wondering if you are an only child or only son, or what is called a soul surviving son? Are you the last male child to carry on your family name?

I know that has nothing to do with anything and I know my answer differs from the rest I have read.

As a thirty-eight year old female whose children are just about grown, I did not want to be alone. I know that for sure. I have a wonderful man as my SO and would love to spend the rest of my life with him, and not alone....

I think as we get a little older, that is another thing we think of.

Just tell your parents you are not ready for a serious relationship and you are focused on your career.
I am my parents only son. And come to think of it in one side of my family, among my cousins I am the only boy. So guess I would be only one carrying on my grandfather's last name from that side.

I think it is annoying that is seems like my parents had my life planned out for me. Almost like if I deviate from the path it would cause problems. I remember huge issue when one of mom's male cousin was in his 30s and still unmarried. They are also pretty unhappy he had American girlfriends and said they look better! Basically entire family (this included extended family) including my mom were pressuring him to gett married. I remember he went back to Bangladesh and in 1 month he was married to girl he just met.

Honestly, I do love my parents quite bit. And would like be part of my extended family too. Don't feel like becoming a social out cast from my family. Which why I want to be careful of what I say / do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships