Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2012, 01:47 PM

1,135 posts, read 2,192,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I get what you are saying from a health standpoint. I would never have married a smoker either.

But I think what you are talking about is different than what the OP is talking about.

She seems to be discriminating for other reasons

How the heck is this something to do with a difference of diet? If people don't mind making meals in the same kitchen at the same time it can work. If one has to prep 2 entire separate meals the resentment will build up.

If someone has grotesque eating habits, like smacking and eating all crunchy food with the most noise (ie 10 crunches to eat a fry or chip?)? Give up. The little things get you anyway. If someone wants to preach to the other? give it up, it's not unconditional.

However, the two can be compatible and each others habits can wear off on the other. Nice if it can happen together cuz it's a basic human bonding theme.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2012, 01:52 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,170,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swanstone1 View Post
The little things get you anyway.
Absolutely! I remember reading a book in which the author was saying incompatibilities on the day-to-day practical plane cause the most divorces, as puny as they may seem.

Old 01-31-2012, 01:52 PM

410 posts, read 515,267 times
Well, I went out with a guy for quite some time and he didn't like many types of food. I guess it did affect our everyday life together if we couldn't agree on what to make for breakfast,lunch, and dinner on a daily basis. I kinda missed alot of the types of food i usually eat for example seafood. I guess it did have an effect on the relationship.

Old 01-31-2012, 02:06 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,655,977 times
I'm a foodie and it would be nice to date another foodie.

Old 01-31-2012, 02:24 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,073,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
I dated a guy briefly who didn't:

1. drink beer, or alcohol of any kind
2. eat cheese, or any dairy
3. he was allergic to tomatoes
4. citrus fruit was completely out of the question

What a nightmare.
Why was this a nightmare for you? Was he restricting what you could eat too?

I'm thankful my husband is so understanding. I had been having abdominal issues for ages and had more tests than I can count, some invasive, lots of biopsies and even surgery to remove my gallbladder because they thought that was the issue.

I was finally diagnosed with food allergies 2yrs ago...pork, beef, dairy, wheat, corn and shrimp. I can't eat pork and beef at all...I have a severe reaction to those. I can eat the others but then I feel blah to miserable depending on the severity of the reaction (heck, sometimes ice cream is worth it).

I still cook like I normally do and we still go to the same places we always did. If it's something I can't eat I just find an alternative. I'm just more diligent about my diet but I don't impose my limitations on anyone else.

I guess I just don't see what the big deal is, unless the person you are with makes you feel like you are constantly making poor food choices or restricting what you can eat and dictating what restaurants you can eat at.

He doesn't suffer in any way, shape or form from it.

Old 01-31-2012, 02:28 PM

1,135 posts, read 2,192,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
I'm a foodie and it would be nice to date another foodie.
I'm a frickin foodie and think sharing a great recipe is equivalent to sex....however if the cooks aren't on the same page? Love of squid can meld with love of brown rice and spinach. First off you KNOW if its an "issue" or a cooking/bonding experience. If you've gotta force it? DON'T

Old 01-31-2012, 02:35 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,164,704 times
For the most part its not something I really think about. If the dude is really picky and/or high-maintenance about his food, though, I might conclude he'd be similarly annoying in other ways.

Old 01-31-2012, 02:37 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,655,977 times
Quote:
I'm a frickin foodie and think sharing a great recipe is equivalent to sex....however if the cooks aren't on the same page? Love of squid can meld with love of brown rice and spinach. First off you KNOW if its an "issue" or a cooking/bonding experience. If you've gotta force it? DON'T
lol

I understand.

Old 01-31-2012, 02:38 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,007,791 times
Another reason this is a ridiculous notion, people's tastes in food often change. I used to dislike Chinese food. It disgusted me. Now I love it. I used to love french fries and fast food, now it disgusts me. There are a lot of things I never used to eat that I love to eat now and vice versa.

Old 01-31-2012, 02:40 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
You make foodies sound awfully snobby.

Just sayin'...

Equating a good recipe to sex? That's a little weird to me.

Though I suppose if you are THAT passionate about food you'd want a partner equally as passionate in the same snobby way, so I get ya .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships