Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2012, 04:02 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,183,403 times

Advertisements

I don't know about marrying, but I have just recently contemplated this. I had a lot of fun yesterday, with a guy who is 10 years older than me. He has been a very good, close friend of mine for 14 years. The fact is that I'd confide in him about what the latest was, with whomever I was going with....etc. (Just as he would if he was with anyone.)
So, he tells me yesterday, that he's been "waiting" for me. Now I'm intrigued
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2012, 07:51 AM

2 posts, read 3,924 times
am 22yrs dating aman 10years older then me. he is not only my man but also my best friend, a parent and he is so loving caring and looks after me well. me teaches me the right way of life and since i met him i have always been successful when i do what ever he asks me to do.. this is the best relationship and i see my self getting married to this man. is their any problem dating aman 10years older then me?

Old 09-11-2012, 08:02 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,661,345 times
Yes. I'm not very ageist.

Old 09-11-2012, 08:08 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,266,619 times
Currently married to a man 9 chronological years older than me.

FancyA, you should be successful doing what you want to do. Don't let his kindness fool you into thinking he is not in control of you and your life when you believe what you stated:

teaches me the right way of life and since i met him i have always been successful when i do what ever he asks me to do.. this is the best relationship and i see my self getting married to this man.

There is no problem dating anyone of any legal age the problem occurs when you lose yourself because you are becoming who THEY want you to be and you are not even questioning it and do not see yourself losing control of your own life.

Old 09-11-2012, 09:14 AM

864 posts, read 1,455,381 times
I'm 19, and at this point in my life, there is no way I'd date someone younger than me. I don't even date guys the same age or a year or two older. I date guys who are anywhere from 22-26. I think the oldest I'd feel comfortable dating at this point in my life is someone who is 26...7 years difference works for me right now.

Old 09-18-2012, 10:27 AM

132 posts, read 304,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyte Byrd View Post
I could easily marry younger than myself because people don't believe me when I tell them my age but, call it insecurity, I won't go younger. I'm afraid they'd one day wake up and wonder who the old woman next to them is. That would be heart-wrenching. So I'll stick with my age or older.
That happens to women who marry men their own age or older all the time. How many men wake up one day and see an older wife who has let herself go and decides to go for his 23-year-old secretary? The fact is, no matter what age your husband is you going to age. I married a man a decade younger and he is prematurely gray so people think he is the older one (ha-ha). I honestly do look younger than my age and always have, good genes, lots of melanin and clean living help with that.

He chased me and assumed we were the same age, that was a decade ago. His friends and the world were none the wiser. I think if our age difference was apparent, I wouldn't have gone there and neither would he. I am not worried about him waking up to see an old woman one day anymore than I would have with my ex who was 10 years older.

My issue has been him traveling with female co-workers. Thank God that has ended. The truth is, you can be super young, gorgeous and your man will always have eyes for other women - many younger and prettier than you. One of the main problems women have with men are their wandering eyes and it doesn't matter if he's the same age, older or younger than the woman in question. That should tell you something.

Old 09-18-2012, 12:01 PM

22,343 posts, read 29,452,102 times
yes

Old 09-18-2012, 12:02 PM

9,130 posts, read 20,021,316 times
If I had found a great match, 10 years in age would not be a deal breaker. Turned out my match was 3 years my younger.

Old 09-18-2012, 01:49 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,893,310 times
Interesting topic, and I have been pondering this.

To start, I always *thought* I'd probably end up with someone younger. Not sure why, but this thought pooped into my head around age 10 so there wasn't a real reason for it to. So I have been fairly open to dating younger (obviously not when I was in my teens and 20s, that would have been a huge gap in maturity). I am 34 right now.

The problem I have now is multifaceted.
1. More than about 3-5 years older, and I start to feel like the men are "too old" or really just in a different sort of life phase. I don't know many 40 year olds for whatever reason.
2. My perceived age is anywhere from 6-10 years younger. This is pretty common, I can't think of many times someone actually thought I was at least 30. (I am sure it does not help matters that I have a very youthful voice)
3. People younger than about 5 years younger feel pretty immature or are in different life phases
4. The people that hit on me (since they think they are my age are younger) tend to be 24-30, placing only a small percentage in my target demographic.
5. Those youngsters that approach me probably think I am "too old" once they find out my true age.

So I don't know what to think. Right now, a man that is 10 years younger is way too young. Ask me in 5 years, and it is probably OK. Of course the question is, would I be what they are looking for?

Old 09-18-2012, 02:43 PM

344 posts, read 396,236 times
I'm not someone who is all that enthralled with the very concept of marriage, but I am in a relationship with a guy who is waaayyy more than ten years older than me. A friend of mine is married to a guy who is about a dozen years older than she is. The guy is the older of the couple in years, but in no other way. My guy is both young-at-heart, and physically fit. Occasionally I will witness him doing some little impromptu bit of gymnastics, like vaulting over a waist-high fence to retrieve a ball, and when I couple stuff like that with his demeanor, I'll think; there is no way this man is 52. But yet he is.

I think there is definitely something to the notion that "age is nothing but a number".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships