Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2012, 09:07 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,288,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oalquimista View Post
I went on a date with a man I met on match. He talked the whole time, which I was going to chalk up to nerves, he's a federal officer, divorced with kids. I have three rules when I date, no kids, no cops and no ex wives. Well, needless to say, he broke all the rules. However, when emailing back and forth we seemed to click, and I was really open to the idea. Also, he said several times what good money he makes.

Dinner was nice, conversation flowed just fine... when the waitress came to ask whether or not everything was on one bill, he looks at me? I then told her politely, it would be two checks. The waitress could tell we were on a first date, and she kept it on one piece of paper, but two different totals. She also set it right in front of him. He never once offered. I put out my 20.00 for the meal, and left a very nice tip too. He left 1.00 for a tip.
This has never happened to me before, although once in relationships I turn into the sugar Mama.

Is this a deal breaker? Is this just a sign of what's to come? I wouldn't have made him pay, but it's the OFFER that would have been nice...
Who invited who out? If you invited, it was your bill. If he invited it was his. but, considering he "kept" mentioning how much money he made. The fact that you are asking seems are you even seriously considering dating this guy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2012, 09:08 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,052,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinx View Post
No, it's not.

I offer because it's polite. I will not a date a man who is of the "women want equality, I'll treat them like a man" tribe.
Please! I never offer and never will.

Now, if we're in a RELATIONSHIP, then I won't mind paying for us when we go out, because he's proven that he's down for me already.

I'm not a user, but if dude is too cheap to pay for the first date, then I already know what's up and for ME, it's a TURN OFF.

Old 02-12-2012, 09:09 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,036,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mir86 View Post
if you don't like the idea of him accepting your offer, then don't offer. How is that NOT manipulative?
I'm not manipulating him into paying. I think you're skewing the definition of that word to apply. I simply have a preference for a man who will be generous on a first date since he asked me out.

We don't agree on this subject. And that's fine with me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix_down View Post
It's a matter of courtesy. I expect the woman to offer, but I will never let her actually pay it. Same type of thing.
Exactly.

Old 02-12-2012, 09:09 PM

434 posts, read 686,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mir86 View Post
if you offer to pay your part, then you should expect him to accept. So why say no to a second date after that? that's just manipulative!
I agree, and who wants a manipulator? Not me! WHY is it the man's responsibility to pay for a date? If he asks the woman, than okay, he can pay if she's good with that. But if the woman asks the man or they kind of agree together to go out then it should be okay if she pays or if they go Dutch. Equality is a really really good thing and when you have an equal relationship with another person both parties benefit.

Old 02-12-2012, 09:10 PM

307 posts, read 632,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowdog101 View Post
What wrong with going Dutch? Its 2012. I would ditch him because he only tipped $1. A real good way to get a feel for a person is to how he or she treats the "help", and tipping someone a dollar for dinner is ridiculous!! He's a cheap a** who will probably embarrass you if you kept seeing him.
This. He isn't being frugal, he is being selfish by saving money at the waitress' expense. If he can't afford to tip then he can't afford to eat out.

Old 02-12-2012, 09:11 PM

3,360 posts, read 8,406,385 times
No wonder so many men dislike women. Unbelievable, truly.

The "dude" is not invariably TOO CHEAP to pay for the date. Educated, articulated, erudite career women frequently would REFUSE to have a man for them. Their lives don't revolve around getting a free meal from some guy. Many men offer. Many women REFUSE on principal.

Old 02-12-2012, 09:12 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,052,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raging-Hetero View Post
I'm gonna highlight this just because.
Highlight baby, highlight.

Old 02-12-2012, 09:12 PM

4,868 posts, read 8,423,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinx View Post
I'm not manipulating him into paying. I think you're skewing the definition of that word to apply. I simply have a preference for a man who will be generous on a first date since he asked me out.

We don't agree on this subject. And that's fine with me.

Exactly.
that's not what I said. I agree that the man should pay. I don't agree that you offer to go dutch but god forbid, if he accepts..he's an ahole in your eyes, thus doesn't get a 2nd date. so why offer then? Just don't offer..and then if he insists on going dutch when you don't offer to, you can call him an ahole then...that makes more sense to me.

Old 02-12-2012, 09:13 PM

3,052 posts, read 4,314,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oalquimista View Post
He never once offered. I put out my 20.00 for the meal, and left a very nice tip too. He left 1.00 for a tip.
Cheap.

Run, don't walk away.

He was cheap with you and cheap with the waitress. He clearly doesn't know how to treat people.

I know men on here will be quick to jump on this thread and talk about "equality" and how women should pick up the tab...but in reality, most men who expect a woman to pay on the first date they're invited are tightwads like this guy who undertipped the waitress.

Old 02-12-2012, 09:15 PM

3,052 posts, read 4,314,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raging-Hetero View Post
Maybe he wasn't impressed with the service or he doesn't really believe in tipping.

I personally don't tip unless the service is impressive.
Remind me not to go anywhere with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships