Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 12:41 AM

3,546 posts, read 3,746,971 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
I had a debate with a friend so I'm wanting to set the record straight.

True or False:

1. When it comes to dating a woman men care about how much money she makes?

2. When it comes to marrying a woman men care about how much money she makes?
1) False. Just as long as she isn't a spendthrift.

2) I don't care about how much money she makes. Ideally, and preferably 100% financially clean: doesn't receive money from anything other than her own efforts, doesn't owe a bunch of people/her parents money, etc., has a good credit score and doesn't like having a lot of debt. Doesn't receive alimony, child support or whatever. It's 2012, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2012, 12:45 AM

6,456 posts, read 7,024,075 times
Couldn't really care less as long as she isn't gold digging and demands that I provide her with something that she couldn't provide for herself. Another issue is if she were in huge debt or bad with managing money. But honestly it's really a trade off--just bring something to the table. If you don't have the earning power and/or education--then supplement that with outstanding domestic skills.

Old 02-20-2012, 01:56 AM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,029,199 times
For some men, absolutely to both. I see it as much in men as women. If anyone thinks otherwise, you're fooling yourself. For some, it's concern for the future. For others...let me put it this way; I've heard too many upper middle class and higher say they didn't want so-and-so to marry their son or daughter because they're just after the money because they come from lower income. The father of the first man who ever asked me to marry him felt this way about me. A close friend's wife (from upper middle class) doesn't want their son to be with his girlfriend because she comes from a poor family. It's pretty sickening.

Old 02-20-2012, 07:06 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,782,984 times
Quote:

True or False:

I don't really care. If she has a high salary, that's a generally a good thing, even though it puts a little pressure on me to make more than her. There are worse problems out there to have.

If she's poor, or doomed to a lifetime of low-earnings, that's not a problem. It really depends on a lot of details; the only simple answer is that we'd both need to have realistic expectations.

Old 02-20-2012, 07:44 AM

1,956 posts, read 4,882,569 times
I love money =)

Old 02-20-2012, 08:15 AM

977 posts, read 1,817,564 times
It matters to me. I wouldn't date someone who was working at Burger King. On the other hand, I wouldn't date someone who was a CFO or CEO either.

Something like a CPA, engineer, nurse, teacher would be best. Good salary is never a bad thing.

Old 02-20-2012, 08:21 AM

12,974 posts, read 34,003,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
So most girls would turn down Leo/Jack in 'Titanic' because he was poor? I beg to differ...I wonder how many would have chosen Cal, assuming they didn't know what a dick he was?

For me appearances is only the thing that attracts at the start. If there's no substance, or if what is underneath is bad, then doesn't matter how rich or poor you are I'm not interested.
Titanic was a movie. Not real life. Lets not confuse the two. I think my "Drive through cashier" cashier analogy applies here. How many women here do you think have gone out with a guy they met at the McDonalds drive through window (not counting when they were in high school)? NONE probably.

As far as "substance" goes, you didnt mention anything about it in this thread until now, so one would assume all other things being equal (personlity, character, etc.) we would just consider between good looking but poor, or not good looking and rich.

I care ZERO about how much money a woman has. As long as I am physically attracted to her, I can deal with it. As I mentioned above, she doesnt need to be rich, heck, she can be dirt poor but as long as she takes care of her obligations (i.e., pays her bills on time) then it says a LOT to me about her character which is important (and completely seperate from one's looks).

Old 02-20-2012, 08:24 AM

461 posts, read 924,270 times
Quote:

True or False:

No, don't care at all. If she has zero ambition or is very lazy, that is different story, but money and ambition/drive don't go hand-in-hand a lot of the time.

Same answer.

Obviously I can only speak for myself, not all men.

Old 02-20-2012, 08:31 AM

3,670 posts, read 7,174,374 times
i've seen a lot of men say that they want an intelligent woman with ambition and drive, but when it comes down to it they avoid such women (intimidated? emasculated? idk) and tend to prefer those with caretaking careers such as in nursing or teaching

Old 02-20-2012, 08:38 AM

12,974 posts, read 34,003,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brocco View Post
i've seen a lot of men say that they want an intelligent woman with ambition and drive, but when it comes down to it they avoid such women (intimidated? emasculated? idk) ..........
They probably avoid them because the one's they find are FAT. Men do not want fat. That is the bottom line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships