Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 12:12 PM

1,871 posts, read 4,265,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
But sadly liberal people think this is a good thing and want to liberate sex so much for us that it gets to the point where adultery is acceptable...

However, according to Gallup, 91% of all Americans say adultery is wrong while 7% say it's acceptable.
"Adultery" is an old Biblical term and generally it means "extramarital sex". However, if both partners in a couple agree to an open relationship then its not cheating to me and more importantly its THEIR business.

Why do conservatives care so much about how other couples run their relationships? If you are married and monogamous and it works for you--why are you suddenly threatened when someone else runs their personal lives differently?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2012, 12:24 PM

2,488 posts, read 4,321,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barkomatic View Post
"Adultery" is an old Biblical term and generally it means "extramarital sex". However, if both partners in a couple agree to an open relationship then its not cheating to me and more importantly its THEIR business.

Why do conservatives care so much about how other couples run their relationships? If you are married and monogamous and it works for you--why are you suddenly threatened when someone else runs their personal lives differently?
What's the point of even getting married to someone if you want to have sex with other people and don't want to be committed in your relationship?

And what's wrong with me using the term "adultery"? Are you the politically correct police or something? Apparently, it only bothers you because it comes from the Bible... Gotcha.

Why do liberals care so much about what conservatives think and why do liberals feel so threatened when people's viewpoints differ from theirs?

We can start a thread on the Politics and other Controversies section if you'd like.

Old 02-24-2012, 12:26 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,024,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
Adultery has been glorified though Hollywood and the media. I reckon nearly half of all American married couples commit infidelity or have open relationships. I don't hear about couples in other countries doing this but in America.

Is the USA the only country where married couples commit adultery and it's perfectly acceptable in American culture?
What??????? Where did you get this idea?

Concubines, Mistresses, Harems, multiple wives, all this has been an accepted lifestyle for centuries in other countries/areas of the world. They just don't advertise it and it's not endlessly discussed. It's just a fact of life.

Old 02-24-2012, 12:27 PM

3,337 posts, read 7,118,418 times
Quote:
What's the point of even getting married to someone if you want to have sex with other people and don't want to be committed in your relationship?

And what's wrong with me using the term "adultery"? Are you the politically correct police or something? But no, it only bothers you because it comes from the Bible... gotcha

Why do liberals care so much about what conservatives think and why do liberals feel so threatened when people's view points differ from own?
Exactly. Wrong is wrong, no matter how you try to cut the cake. Sad to say, infidelity is so commonplace that it defeats the purpose of getting married.

Old 02-24-2012, 12:31 PM

3,437 posts, read 6,073,305 times
You may see a lot of it on TV and in the movies but it is FAR from being tolerated and acceptable.

It is very common in some cultures around the world but isn't plastered all over the TV.

Old 02-24-2012, 12:34 PM

674 posts, read 1,161,376 times
Quote:
Adultery has been glorified though Hollywood and the media. I reckon nearly half of all American married couples commit infidelity or have open relationships. I don't hear about couples in other countries doing this but in America.

Is the USA the only country where married couples commit adultery and it's perfectly acceptable in American culture?
Tolerated and acceptable? I thought it was downright encouraged...

Old 02-24-2012, 12:42 PM

1,871 posts, read 4,265,664 times
Quote:
That's YOUR judgement. If you don't think that its right for someone to have an open relationship then don't have one. However, just don't impose your beliefs on others.

Quote:
And what's wrong with me using the term "adultery"? Are you the politically correct police or something? Apparently, it only bothers you because it comes from the Bible... Gotcha.
It may not occur to you that not everyone is religious. I thought I'd point that out.

Quote:
Why do liberals care so much about what conservatives think and why do liberals feel so threatened when people's viewpoints differ from theirs?

We can start a thread on the Politics and other Controversies section if you'd like.
I don't mind views that are different than my own. I've said several times now that if you want a monogamous relationship then you should have one.

However, conservatives often want to IMPOSE their beliefs and values on others--and that is where the problem lies. They are most often not satisfied with running their personal lives as they see fit - but rather wish to tell everyone else how to run theirs through law.

Old 02-24-2012, 12:51 PM

354 posts, read 617,749 times
[quote=90sman;23122271]But sadly liberal people think this is a good thing and want to liberate sex so much for us that it gets to the point where adultery is acceptable...

Are you saying that Newt is a liberal?

Old 02-24-2012, 01:15 PM

17,213 posts, read 57,052,961 times
Quote:

You seriously need to get out more. Probably America is the place where infidelity is *least* tolerated. Apparently in France, it's almost expected, certainly among rich men.

In general, infidelity of the male is historically more acceptable as it does not bring about illigetimate offspring in the family home, although this is less of a big deal now with more effective means of contraception.

Old 02-24-2012, 01:35 PM

56 posts, read 79,725 times
I'm french and i can tell you we don't accept or tolerate cheating in Europe but like in usa, it's quite common for people to sleep around. Some people choose to forgive though
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships