Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 10:31 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEarth View Post
I think your family and friends probably just want you to be happy, and are letting you know that they don't care if you're gay or not.

My Mom asked me that question a few times, as I don't really talk about my dating life with my family. I told her, 'no, I'm not gay." Eventually, I told her something to the tone that I prefer short-term arrangements with women, which is not entirely true, but at least it stopped the questions of when are you going to get married and have grandchildren for me to play with.

So, just tell them something vague. Tell your friends that you are not looking for a relationship and don't want to date now, but a FWB type deal is welcome. Tell your parents that you've been out on a few dates a month (with women), but you really don't have time for a relationship.
I think they may be doing that -- just letting him know it's okay if he is.

Another answer would be just to say "I'm a neither" or "asexual" if that's the case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2012, 10:50 AM

244 posts, read 707,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
"No I don't have time to date right now."
"I'm not really interested in that right now."

Oh man, I use those lines all the time when anti-gay people ask me about my dating life. And I am gay. Even if that is the truth, time to find some new lines, OP, cause those are gay people’s stock phrases for "Crap, I can’t come out to this person."
Haha that's actually pretty funny, I never noticed that before. I mean I understand a person who would use that excuse to avoid coming out to a particular person but to be honest I don't feel comfortable with making up lies to my friends and family rather than telling the truth to them. I do get what you mean though

Old 02-26-2012, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I think they may be doing that -- just letting him know it's okay if he is.

Another answer would be just to say "I'm a neither" or "asexual" if that's the case.
Ah, "Asexual"? I never really paid much attention to that, I heard some people are asexual but I never really thought that I could be "asexual" though. Haha

Old 02-26-2012, 11:14 AM

2,488 posts, read 4,321,588 times
If you keep up with this attitude, you're going to find yourself in your late 20s and still single. The unmarrieds population drops faster in the 20s than any other age. So it'll become difficult to meet a woman after 30. I noticed this with people I know who are in their 30s and 40s and are still unmarried and childless. They end up regretting it and wish they'd spent more time meeting someone to marry.

Keep doing what you're doing career wise but don't neglect your other part of life. There's more to life than a career and making lots of money.

Old 02-26-2012, 11:24 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,738,692 times
Jesus, I'm 32 and haven't been on a date since high school; I can only imagine what people say about me.

Old 02-26-2012, 11:29 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,926,132 times
I'm 24 and have only had 2 relationships. Never had problems hooking up, but I purposfully stayed away from relationships. It was mainly the fact that I flat out didn't care, and didn't want to put any effort into meeting women. I don't think there's anything wrong with it, but you also have to realize that people will probably give you a little bit of a hard time. Just laugh it off and don't take it personally and do your own thing.

I'm starting to get out there a little more and put a little effort in to it.. probably quite a bit less effort than majority of people but it really doesn't hurt. It really isn't so bad, and it doesn't take up THAT much time. Just try talk to a few girls at once, try to keep 3 or 4 that could be possibly interested in and keep it non serious and see where things go from there. It is a good way to balance things

Old 02-26-2012, 11:49 AM

8,827 posts, read 7,327,366 times
society is really messed up...you're an adult, do your own thing and quit worrying about pleasing others, including your family...

Old 02-26-2012, 11:51 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
One of my best friends in college got this from his parents when we were 21-22-ish. In his case, he was active in theatre and vocal music, had a large circle of similarly arts-minded acquaintances, many of whom were, in fact, gay and out, and it seemed to his parents that if it was a possibility, they wanted him to know they were okay with it and supported him...he was their only child, and they didn't have a problem with it in the least...they just wanted him to know that if he was worried he didn't have their support, he needn't worry. What they didn't know was that the reason he didn't date was because he was paralyzingly hung up on a girl who wasn't interested at all in dating him, and couldn't get past it. Eventually, his persistence paid off, and they dated and lived together for almost a decade after we graduated. He's now in another long-term relationship with another woman.

Sometimes, people just want to let you know that they care about you, and want to have all their bases covered. But in his case, it was just that he was kind of a late bloomer, and was pining for somebody of the opposite gender...not that he was struggling with homosexuality.

Old 02-26-2012, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
Jesus, I'm 32 and haven't been on a date since high school; I can only imagine what people say about me.
Haha nah don't even stress it, I'm pretty sure you'll find someone, in the mean time just keep yourself cool. It'll happen eventually.

Old 02-26-2012, 12:12 PM

654 posts, read 3,456,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
Same here and I'm 34 (5 years ago since I last dated)..lol. I don't think companionship is a totally mandatory part of life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships